Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

Where does that come from?
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Sorry I read too quickly, I thought you meant pine64 was a GPL violator, I was very surprised. But you were talking about AllWinner.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

More like also known as the ONLY phone that can run Linux. Literally.

I am growing tired of hearing the word "Nexus" or "hammerhead".
        Couldn't there be another phone?! Why does it have to specifically be the Nexus 5?!

Like, why if alternative Qualcomm-based phones have somewhat similar hardware?

What is the catch and why is Nexus 5 the ONLY PHONE that can run a normal Linux OS??!
        Just yesterday I was checking out alternate operating systems on my Nexus 5 after a couple of years since the last attempt.
        Nothing much works. I could boot PostmarketOS, but it couldn't really do anything beyond connecting to wifi. Not even the hardware on the Nexus 5 is fully supported.

Comment

There is a website with status of patches and a todo at https://masneyb.github.io/nexus-5-upstream/

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Just yesterday I was checking out alternate operating systems on my Nexus 5 after a couple of years since the last attempt.
            Nothing much works. I could boot PostmarketOS, but it couldn't really do anything beyond connecting to wifi. Not even the hardware on the Nexus 5 is fully supported.
            Ubuntu Touch works pretty well on the Nexus 5. No hardware acceleration when decoding video is the only major problem I know.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

More like also known as the ONLY phone that can run Linux. Literally.

I am growing tired of hearing the word "Nexus" or "hammerhead".
              Couldn't there be another phone?! Why does it have to specifically be the Nexus 5?!

Like, why if alternative Qualcomm-based phones have somewhat similar hardware?

What is the catch and why is Nexus 5 the ONLY PHONE that can run a normal Linux OS??!
              It's not. I'm distro hopping on my PinePhone and so far Mobian has stuck around the longest, but Ubuntu Touch is a pretty solid experience as well.

Comment

When did this new patch become required? I've been booting AOSP off mainline with ZERO patches for a while, although I have been holding my AOSP branch at May 28.

Comment

I have NOT been able to find any evidence that this "anonymous vma naming" patch is actually required to boot AOSP. In fact, I can confirm that, in fact, it is NOT necessary. I'm running a Dragonboard 820c with upstream kernel 5.4 and a few hardware support patches, and the AOSP I've run is any of the following;

Master corresponding to AOSP 10.
                  Current master corresponding to AOSP 11.
                  Any 11 release branch.

Comment

Working...
                  X