• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

Where does that come from?
    https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...-Violate-Proof

Comment

Sorry I read too quickly, I thought you meant pine64 was a GPL violator, I was very surprised. But you were talking about AllWinner.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

More like also known as the ONLY phone that can run Linux. Literally.

I am growing tired of hearing the word "Nexus" or "hammerhead".
        Couldn't there be another phone?! Why does it have to specifically be the Nexus 5?!

Like, why if alternative Qualcomm-based phones have somewhat similar hardware?

What is the catch and why is Nexus 5 the ONLY PHONE that can run a normal Linux OS??!
        Just yesterday I was checking out alternate operating systems on my Nexus 5 after a couple of years since the last attempt.
        Nothing much works. I could boot PostmarketOS, but it couldn't really do anything beyond connecting to wifi. Not even the hardware on the Nexus 5 is fully supported.

Comment

There is a website with status of patches and a todo at https://masneyb.github.io/nexus-5-upstream/

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Just yesterday I was checking out alternate operating systems on my Nexus 5 after a couple of years since the last attempt.
            Nothing much works. I could boot PostmarketOS, but it couldn't really do anything beyond connecting to wifi. Not even the hardware on the Nexus 5 is fully supported.
            Ubuntu Touch works pretty well on the Nexus 5. No hardware acceleration when decoding video is the only major problem I know.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

More like also known as the ONLY phone that can run Linux. Literally.

I am growing tired of hearing the word "Nexus" or "hammerhead".
              Couldn't there be another phone?! Why does it have to specifically be the Nexus 5?!

Like, why if alternative Qualcomm-based phones have somewhat similar hardware?

What is the catch and why is Nexus 5 the ONLY PHONE that can run a normal Linux OS??!
              It's not. I'm distro hopping on my PinePhone and so far Mobian has stuck around the longest, but Ubuntu Touch is a pretty solid experience as well.

Comment

When did this new patch become required? I've been booting AOSP off mainline with ZERO patches for a while, although I have been holding my AOSP branch at May 28.

Comment

I have NOT been able to find any evidence that this "anonymous vma naming" patch is actually required to boot AOSP. In fact, I can confirm that, in fact, it is NOT necessary. I'm running a Dragonboard 820c with upstream kernel 5.4 and a few hardware support patches, and the AOSP I've run is any of the following;

Master corresponding to AOSP 10.
                  Current master corresponding to AOSP 11.
                  Any 11 release branch.

Comment

Working...
                  X