Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sensor Fusion Hub Driver Under Review A Sixth Time For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Sensor Fusion Hub Driver Under Review A Sixth Time For Linux

While a lot of interesting changes are coming for the in-development Linux 5.9 kernel, sadly a long overdue change isn't going to make the merge window and that is the AMD Sensor Fusion Hub driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just another data point that proves Linux on the x-86 Desktop is already WAY behind the ARM apocalypse that has been heralded first in the Mobile space, then in the Server and Supercomputer space and now with the long anticipated move by Apple to go all in on ARM even to the Desktop. Just as Apple killed the consumer need to use the Command Line, then killed the Floppy Drive, then killed the CD/DVD ROM and then killed Flash, now they have killed the consumer desktop market for x-86. Oh...it will be 2030 before that is openly apparent to all but by 2025...maybe 2023...Microsoft will be releasing their own branded tablets, 2in1 and Desktops all with Windows for ARM. And before that even the majority of Google Chromebooks will be ARM based to match their Andoid breathen.

Why? Well...listen to Lisa Su of AMD herself. She has on more than one occasion explicitly stated that Zen was designed for Servers first and NOT desktops. The desktop CPUs would obviously be derivatives but the point is like Intel LONG ago AMD is looking where the money is and it is NOT in the consumer x-86 space and is NOT with x-86 gaming on the PC.

Also the x-86 space with Intel and AMD has NO WAY to integrate sensors, or even A.I. to the customizable or composable way and still make both performance AND power envelopes like ARM has been able for years. And now with the ARM Neoverse initiative which allows an ARM based SoC to be designed to break out of its narrow and restrained power envelope which had born fruit with Marvell's (Cavium) Thunder x3 96 core Server CPU and Apple's upcoming Desktop CPU which is going to be competitive with Intel's Cascade Lake and AMD's Zen 2 AND have built in Hardware Matrix Math, Neural Net NPU, DSP and an Infinity Architecture like HSA framework for seamless cache coherency from L1 to L2 to L3 and all onboard sensors...not to mention INFINITELY better integration with Apple's underlying OS...yeah...x-86 is now a deprecated consumer desktop architecture.

Tick Tock Linux Desktop. Apple has now officially beat EVERYONE to the completely converged and seamless Computing Platform. All made possbile...and ONLY possible by the use of ARM.

Comment

I am waiting for this since I've first read about it.
      ​​​​I even subscribed to the AMD official forum with regards to AMD FSH on Linux.
      There was a promise there for Autumn 2019.. Oh well, I suppose I should have more patience

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        (Cavium) Thunder x3 96 core Server CPU and Apple's upcoming Desktop CPU which is going to be competitive with Intel's Cascade Lake and AMD's Zen 2 AND have built in Hardware Matrix Math, Neural Net NPU, DSP and an Infinity Architecture like HSA framework for seamless cache coherency from L1 to L2 to L3 and all onboard sensors...
        Have you found a independent benchmark of Thunder x3? I've looked far and wide, but have not found anything.

not to mention INFINITELY better integration with Apple's underlying OS...yeah...x-86 is now a deprecated consumer desktop architecture.
        I enjoy doomsday stories, but it's challenging to take you serious when you write in this non-technical manner.

Comment

@Dumbotron:

​​​1. "Tick Tock Linux Desktop." - I'm not sure if you just forgot it but - when your big apocalypse comes true - Linux is ARM compatible. So ... what tick tock??? What do you think powers Raspberry pi for example. That's an arm architecture. Or every Android phone?
          2. You seem like projecting that Apple is inventing something which is already invented. Linux supports ARM. Microsoft had ARM port of Windows for a long time now https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/arm/
          3. This really leaves us with this big apocalypse projection. I like race, bring it on ARM! It won't be as easy to beat Zen2 (or even Zen1). Apple pro users might be up for some surprise, plus there is the issue with backward compatibility...

Comment

Tick Tock Linux Desktop.
            Works fine in ARM arch too. It's a long while it does work fine on ARM.

INFINITELY better integration with Apple's underlying OS
            What does this even mean.

Apple has now officially beat EVERYONE to the completely converged and seamless Computing Platform.
            WTF are you talking about, Apple ARM laptops are still using a different OS and app ecosystem from their mobile devices (iOS). Do you even know what "converged" and "seamless" means?

Comment

Jumbotron every feature removed by Apple is another brick to their walled garden closing around the fools that entered in it

Comment

It is long pending from AMD. Yes , lots of hopes with V6 getting merged soon.

However it is so interesting that some of the review comments for AMD SFH driver is getting or got it past, applies to Inter ISH. Why it was overlooked ? i always get puzzled.

today's KConfig review is again another example. It applies to inter ish as well

Comment

V7 just came out yesterday

Comment

Tick Tock Linux Desktop. Apple has now officially beat EVERYONE to the completely converged and seamless Computing Platform. All made possbile...and ONLY possible by the use of ARM.
                    my linux desktop runs steam games. apple officially beat remnants of brains out of its sect

Comment

Working...
                    X