Booting With Mandriva's Speedboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Significant error: Ubuntu / Mandriva comparison entirely flawed

Um. I'm surprised you guys missed this one. Your Ubuntu / Mandriva comparison:

"Without Speedboot, Mandriva 2009.1 booted in 27 seconds, which is actually six seconds longer than what it took to boot Ubuntu 9.04 on the same netbook."

is entirely flawed. The biggest reason: er, you're comparing GDM startup time to GNOME startup time. Look at the Ubuntu graph - it stops when GDM comes up. Look at the Mandriva graph - it stops when gnome-panel comes up. That's a fairly gigantic difference right there. I guess you were using auto-login on MDV but not Ubuntu?

Contributory: Ubuntu does not start a firewall by default. If you look at the MDV graph, shorewall initialization is a big time-taker.

Compare Ubuntu-with-firewall or Mandriva-without-firewall, and either both booting to GDM or both booting to GNOME. please. Or remove the comparison.

Comment

gentoo - just put xdm in boot runlevel - together with consolekit, dbus, hal - and turn on parallel startup.

Done.

Possible for AGES. Just without flashy buzzwords.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        Um. I'm surprised you guys missed this one. Your Ubuntu / Mandriva comparison:

"Without Speedboot, Mandriva 2009.1 booted in 27 seconds, which is actually six seconds longer than what it took to boot Ubuntu 9.04 on the same netbook."

is entirely flawed. The biggest reason: er, you're comparing GDM startup time to GNOME startup time. Look at the Ubuntu graph - it stops when GDM comes up. Look at the Mandriva graph - it stops when gnome-panel comes up. That's a fairly gigantic difference right there. I guess you were using auto-login on MDV but not Ubuntu?

Contributory: Ubuntu does not start a firewall by default. If you look at the MDV graph, shorewall initialization is a big time-taker.

Compare Ubuntu-with-firewall or Mandriva-without-firewall, and either both booting to GDM or both booting to GNOME. please. Or remove the comparison.
        you forgot phornonix first directive:
        ubunutu is great and the best. So don't expect 'fairness'.

Comment

energyman: except, if you carefully read the article - or, better, Fred's post - http://blog.crozat.net/2009/02/speedboot-explained.html - you would see that that is not as optimized as this. Mandriva has already been doing that, by default, since 2006.

Comment

Seems X alone takes 6 fucking seconds to start before gnome is launched ! What it can be doing for such a long time? Visual Basic application can start faster then 5 seconds.

Comment

Working...
            X