New KDE Slimbook Released - Powered By AMD Ryzen 7 4800H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

You can just replace the panel yourself with a little DIY. Similar to adding/changing storage or RAM(if not soldered)
    Andyprough gets the idea

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    It already exists. It's called the Commodore64 - very popular.
    Have they upgraded the 6510 in it to Ryzen yet and shrunk it a bit ?

If so, I'm in
    Last edited by Slartifartblast; 22 July 2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      If i look at the image of the slimbook it has an windows key.
      I really hope that it doesn't come with a windows key, an KDE laptop should have an KDE key instead.

https://slimbook.es/images/stories/v...prox15-amd.jpg
      The Tuxedo one comes with an Tux key.
      The performance-bar ryzes: The new TUXEDO Pulse 15: Ultrabook with high-end AMD Ryzen - The new TUXEDO Pulse 15 Augsburg (Germany), 20th of July 2020. Our brand new TUXEDO Pulse 15 redefines the class of super thin and lightweight laptops and ...

Linux Hardware, Notebooks, Computer und mehr. Individuell in Deutschland gefertigt, vollständig Linux tauglich, Windows natürlich auch

These Tongfang laptops are interesting.
      I think that the reason is quite oblivious - it is not Slimbook designed laptop.

It is laptop designed by some China OEM manufacturer. Accidentally this laptop is working quite well with Linux (like many Windows only laptops nowadays), so Slimbook decided to start selling it as Linux laptop with added their branding. Unfortunately China manufacturer do not provide option to change keyboard logos (or it is too expensive), so Win key had to stay...

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        Have they upgraded the 6510 in it to Ryzen yet and shrunk it a bit ?

If so, I'm in
        Shrink the Commodore64? Why would you mess with perfection?

Comment

Tsinghua Tongfang
          Information technology company

Tsinghua Tongfang Co., Ltd. is a Chinese state-owned software company based in Beijing.
          Not big on Beijing or China since they're the anti-social sociopath kid. KDE should rethink where their hardware comes from.

TL;DR -- KDE makes laptops with business partner CCP China -- abusers of humans and human rights.

Comment

This is basically the Ryzen 4000 version of the Walmart Motile laptop... they look very similar if not identical. Manufacturer is the same though THX isn't involved.
            Yeah I have the 14" Motile M142, and when I searched for parts, teardowns, etc. the 15" version from Tongfang (PF5PU1G) uses the same motherboard/port layout, same keyboard, larger screen and ups the battery from 46 to 92 Wh. It's nice to see they basically took the same chassis and updated from Picasso to Renoir.

Sauce:
            ttps://www.notebookcheck.net/Budget-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H-laptops-are-coming-with-up-to-91-Wh-batteries-100-sRGB-displays-and-an-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060-GPU.465890.0.html

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Not big on Beijing or China since they're the anti-social sociopath kid. KDE should rethink where their hardware comes from.

TL;DR -- KDE makes laptops with business partner CCP China -- abusers of humans and human rights.
              To be fair there is no ethically produced electronic device in existence. Particularly anything fully assembled at purchase probably sourced a ton of labor from China amongst others like slaves in Africa mining the raw materials.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Or rather, MSM that is owned by 2-3 names has an agenda to paint that picture.
                Last edited by Brane215; 23 July 2020, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Did some quick searching to see what an Ryzen 4000 based laptop cost in china and found these.
                  ILLEGEAR is Malaysia’s No. 1 Custom Laptop brand offering premium quality, cutting-edge components and excellent service all under one roof. Build your very own high-performance laptop for extreme gaming and computing with us today!

ILLEGEAR is Malaysia’s No. 1 Custom Laptop brand offering premium quality, cutting-edge components and excellent service all under one roof. Build your very own high-performance laptop for extreme gaming and computing with us today!

I found links to sellers from https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ang-resellers/

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

I think that the reason is quite oblivious - it is not Slimbook designed laptop.

It is laptop designed by some China OEM manufacturer. Accidentally this laptop is working quite well with Linux (like many Windows only laptops nowadays), so Slimbook decided to start selling it as Linux laptop with added their branding. Unfortunately China manufacturer do not provide option to change keyboard logos (or it is too expensive), so Win key had to stay...
                    I can't see why why slimbook wouldn't be able to if tuxedo is.
                    At least they could ship a KDE key so one could change it themselves or even a sticker for the win key.

Comment

The meta key on shipping computers will have the Plasma logo, not the Windows logo. The Slimbook people have a lasercutter and can engrave anything on any key. They even offer totally custom keyboard layouts and symbols.

Comment

Working...
                      X