No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches A Linux Laptop With Ryzen 7 4800H / Ryzen 5 4600H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a typo with the memory speeds ? They state samsung IC's @3200 but have a CL22 ! Might as well not bother at that CL

Comment

Any thoughts on how the latest Ryzen ThinkPads are vs (your take on) the best Ryzen laptops?

Comment

Doesn't help with some older 4K monitors that will only do 4K @ 60Hz with DP.

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        You don't need USB-C DP

it has HDMI daisy-chain:

Section: Ports..
        https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/L...4-configurator

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

But will it run Linux? (And it will have - most likely - crippled arrow keys...)
          OSX has web browser and terminal. It will be generally enough for me. I nearly bought an IPad Pro with Magic Keyboard, but iOS has no support for external widescreens. So, i thought it will be an Ryzen notebook. And after Apple announcement I'm waiting again
          I want an notebook with ARM soc, but there was nothing with *nix support and a bit powerful CPU. I think Apple will fulfill my wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by buhtope3 View Post

OSX has web browser and terminal. It will be generally enough for me. I nearly bought an IPad Pro with Magic Keyboard, but iOS has no support for external widescreens. So, i thought it will be an Ryzen notebook. And after Apple announcement I'm waiting again
            I want an notebook with ARM soc, but there was nothing with *nix support and a bit powerful CPU. I think Apple will fulfill my wishes.
            On Intel / Mojave Mac, there was nothing Linux could do that the Mac couldn't.. X11 Apps, Wine, Steam.. either there was a native app.. (and usually a better one.. or you could just compile the source and all ran pretty much the same. However that seems that is changing.. I really hope MacOS doesn't turn into an iPad. The OS is very capable and good.
            Last edited by k1e0x; 21 July 2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
              Wouldn't mind a high refresh IPS screen in it too though..
              Originally posted by Citan View Post
              unless reviews would demonstrate a fatal flaw like insufficient brightness or build quality problems...
              Probably not for everyone, but you can usually ignore this issue when choosing a laptop if you're ok with spending a little on sourcing a display panel that meets your needs. Eg my Acer laptop from a 2019Q3 model had some 2017 manufactured display that had old eDP version from 2011 instead of something newer which would help quite a bit with battery life, it was a budget model so I guess they had to keep costs down,.

IIRC, something like 100-ish USD will get you a more modern 15" 4k IPS display panel, you've just got to open up the display enclosure, swap the panel and eDP connection. When I learned about this, while a slight hassle, it made searching for a laptop a bit easier as often especially for budget purchases this was an area products lacked and it really limited your choices if you didn't want to make a purchase purely due to poor reviews/specs of the laptops display. Sadly, beyond resolution and sometimes nits, there's often not much information about the panels until you purchase the product and can properly inspect the part.

Comment

Well, after some digging... this could indeed be my dreaming AMD laptop( the 3rd one.. )
                I was a bit undecided between this and the gorgeous T14, but the prices are a huge difference..

there are some 500-700€ difference,
                This laptop is a bit expensive, because at this price you can get a gaming laptop even with dedicated graphics card..
                The correct price should be some ~150€ less

Now, I just need to look the keyboard in detail, the keyboard is the second most important thing for me in a machine

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

On Intel / Mojave Mac, there was nothing Linux could do that the Mac couldn't..
                  I'm guessing because of the mention of Intel here, that's excluding nvidia(which macOS doesn't support anymore), notably CUDA. If ThunderBolt is provided, despite the eGPU support, nvidia is still ruled out on macOS as a result, so any deep learning / AI, or other computational work like photogrammetry is a no go on macOS.

No clue if it's changed since, but I recall a few years back that macOS didn't support Window snapping(half/quarter display) like Windows or many Linux DE offer. I believe you could use third-party software to achieve that, there were similar issues like wanting to peek into the contents of a large zip archive and extract a portion of that out or view some contents, at best you could peek with a spotlight extension, but partial extraction apparently required purchasing something from the app-store, free software wasn't able to provide that functionality while it was out of the box for me with Windows and Linux distros.

Seemed ok for casual use, but for power user things I found macOS quite unintuitive and often in the way. I like the aesthetics but I like proper functionality more.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    Now, I just need to look the keyboard in detail, the keyboard is the second most important thing for me in a machine
                    Are you often using a laptop out of home/office? I enjoy laptops for the portability and being able to take it with me on travels, using it on transport or at a cafe, etc, but most of the time it'd be with me at home/office.

If you hook it up to displays in such situations, you can alleviate the keyboard issue a bit via external keyboard/mouse, totally understand wanting a decent keyboard for when an external one is inconvenient though, would be nice if they were more standardized for replacing like display panels or internal parts can be.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

You must consider that with this price you are supporting a small company. If you want a cheap laptop there are better windows alternatives.
                      Besides you can get a 91Wh laptop for 897 Euro. It's a great price for such a battery.

Dual channel ram is optional.
                      Since when is Clevo small company ?

BTW, this seems to carry hefty price premium for a Chinese laptop with German badge.
                      Why not getting it directly from China ( jd.com etc) ?

Comment

Working...
                      X