No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches A Linux Laptop With Ryzen 7 4800H / Ryzen 5 4600H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really unfortunate for the no USB-C DP. That's where the more expensive Thinkpad T14(s) win I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      That seems to be the same Tongfang design as in the XMG/Schenker VIA 15 and the Mechrevo Code 01.
      Wait, are you telling me there's finally a Linux laptop that's not a Clevo rebrand???

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        @all Tuxedo aswell as Schenker are usually rebranded CLEVO's. So you might find the same Model from System76 soon or any other Clevo rebrand.
        Or you could've read the post above yours stating it's a Tongfang rebrand.

Also, System76 is designing their own laptops now, so I'm pretty sure that even if this was a Clevo rebrand, you won't be seeing this from System76.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Or you could've read the post above yours stating it's a Tongfang rebrand.

Also, System76 is designing their own laptops now, so I'm pretty sure that even if this was a Clevo rebrand, you won't be seeing this from System76.
          Haha, I thought tongfang is a slightly racist term for asian made cheapo thing ...

Comment

Buying a system76 is not possible from the EU due to excessive import taxes and horrible support delays and postage costs.

Tuxedo is based in Germany, there are no taxes within the EU and postage costs are negligible.

Comment

Yes, I think German heise mentioned it being a Tongfang design/barebone, Tuxedo is the daughter of Schenker, which is by the way a local company here (Germany, Saxony, though Tuxedo is iirc. located elsewhere in Germany). They do exist for at least 10 years and mainly offer laptops. In the past they even featured some VIA C3 design, now, after a long drought filled with Clevo Intel-Nvidias, finally they offer some AMD designs. And this one seems to be a good one.
              They usually always offered machines also without the windows tax; just Tuxedo focuses on a few models and makes sure they run nicely with Tux and sells them preinstalled with some flavour of Linux-kernel-based OS.

This one might replace my aging (but still working) hp 635 (AMD E-350 (Brazos, 2 x 1.65 GHz) based, one of AMD's first APUs).
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

You must consider that with this price you are supporting a small company. If you want a cheap laptop there are better windows alternatives.
                Besides you can get a 91Wh laptop for 897 Euro. It's a great price for such a battery.

Dual channel ram is optional.
                I don't want a Windows alternative. I'm tired of paying for something I won't ever use.

My current laptop (Asus) cost me 500€ with Windows and was bought in december 2011. And it was as good as this one comparatively for the time.

Yet, I could go up to 750-800€ but beyond that it gets really expensive for a personal laptop (with a not so heavy workload). Small company from a neighbour country or not, 900€ is a budget I'm not willing to spend.
                Last edited by Mez'; 21 July 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buhtope3 View Post
                  A bit to late Tuxedo, I'm awaiting now Macbook with ARM.
                  But will it run Linux? (And it will have - most likely - crippled arrow keys...)

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
                    Unfortunately Intel is still ahead of the game with Thunderbolt if you want to do USB-C Power Delivery and connect multiple displays at the same time.
                    intel is behind with thunderbolt. do you see thunderbolt on this laptop? no. does intel make laptops? no. if laptop vendor wants to provide thunderbolt features in usb-c, it will provide them. if laptop vendor doesn't want to pay extra price, intel is not going to help you

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
                      Really unfortunate for the no USB-C DP. That's where the more expensive Thinkpad T14(s) win I suppose...
                      You don't need USB-C DP

it has HDMI daisy-chain:
                      1x HDMI 2.0 inkl. HDCP (4k UHD@60Hz / 2k FHD@120Hz / 2x FHD@60Hz (Daisy Chain))
                      Section: Ports..
                      https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/L...4-configurator

Comment

Working...
                      X