TUXEDO Computers Launches A Linux Laptop With Ryzen 7 4800H / Ryzen 5 4600H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Why? In my experience, barrel charge connectors last through countless thousands of unplug and plug back in cycles. I don't know anyone who had to get one repaired in one of their laptops. USB-C charging ports wear out much more quickly.
    The fragility is actually a separate issue which usb-c doesn't necessarily solve. You need a laptop where the power connector is a module rather than soldered to the motherboard to solve that issue, which has actually been the reason i've needed to replace my last 3 laptops.

The USB C charge is about the U, Universal. Many of my devices already use USB C, adding another one to the mix is so much nicer than adding Yet Another Proprietary Charger to the mix. Also, we run completely from solar and keeping our power DC instead of converting DC to AC and back to DC is hugely more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post

The fragility is actually a separate issue which usb-c doesn't necessarily solve. You need a laptop where the power connector is a module rather than soldered to the motherboard to solve that issue, which has actually been the reason i've needed to replace my last 3 laptops.

The USB C charge is about the U, Universal. Many of my devices already use USB C, adding another one to the mix is so much nicer than adding Yet Another Proprietary Charger to the mix. Also, we run completely from solar and keeping our power DC instead of converting DC to AC and back to DC is hugely more efficient.
      Okay, good points. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Haha, I thought tongfang is a slightly racist term for asian made cheapo thing ...
        Nice try at being a smartass or clown, but Tongfang is an actual Chinese electronics manufacturer: http://www.thtf.com.cn/en
        And some companies, like Schenker and Tuxedo, rebrand Tongfang's PC's.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 22 July 2020, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

I'm guessing because of the mention of Intel here, that's excluding nvidia(which macOS doesn't support anymore), notably CUDA. If ThunderBolt is provided, despite the eGPU support, nvidia is still ruled out on macOS as a result, so any deep learning / AI, or other computational work like photogrammetry is a no go on macOS.

No clue if it's changed since, but I recall a few years back that macOS didn't support Window snapping(half/quarter display) like Windows or many Linux DE offer. I believe you could use third-party software to achieve that, there were similar issues like wanting to peek into the contents of a large zip archive and extract a portion of that out or view some contents, at best you could peek with a spotlight extension, but partial extraction apparently required purchasing something from the app-store, free software wasn't able to provide that functionality while it was out of the box for me with Windows and Linux distros.

Seemed ok for casual use, but for power user things I found macOS quite unintuitive and often in the way. I like the aesthetics but I like proper functionality more.
          The Nvidia part is true.. you can't use a Quadro or anything but how much are you doing that at home? Vega and Navi are not terrible at compute.

And I think your issues are you are trying to only use Apple's software. I very much agree, there is some quite frustrating Apple software.. But you can just stick Nautilus or Thunar on there or quite literally install all of KDE on it if you want. The power of it comes in it's flexibility with OSS applications and commercial ones.
          Last edited by k1e0x; 22 July 2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Nice try at being a smartass or clown, but Tongfang is an actual Chinese PC manufacturer. And some companies, like Schenker and Tuxedo, rebrand Tongfang's PC's.
            no seriously I thought it is some slang word mimicking the phonetics of some asian languages (like "ching chang chong"). Hence, no it was not supposed to be a funny thing, besides racism isn't funny.
            I was laughing about my own foolishness of the perception that in an us forum racism is more prominent than it really seems to be.

Thx for pointing out that Tongfang is a real PC Producer.

As im already accused of beeing smartass...let me be:
            Yes, I know that Schenker and Tuxedo are rebranding PC's - I m owning a Tuxedo aka Clevo WU551 myself ;P

but what I didn't know until you pointed me out that they also sell other rebrands.
            I was thinking they sell only Clevo rebrands when it comes to mobile computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Since when is Clevo small company ?

BTW, this seems to carry hefty price premium for a Chinese laptop with German badge.
              Why not getting it directly from China ( jd.com etc) ?
              Clevo or in this case (what I have learned) Tongfang is not small. But Tuxedo is.

What you actually paying for is the end assembly and the support of the german company. Because Clevo or Tongfang is not giving any afaik.

Like with older System76 or some Acer ..I think even some ASUS Laptops you have the same "premium tax". Because they are sometimes also Clevo/Tongfang what ever rebrands.

Speaking of Taxes: Germany has usually 19% VAT and at the moment due to Corona "only" 16% VAT so you have to take this into consideration too.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

How sure are you about that? If the battery or charger goes up in flames the insurance company might question which device it was. And if it doesn't have the CE seal, they might decline payment and fault you for using non-certified electrical equipment. And I am not talking about the price of the laptop here. If your apartment or house is burning, the damage can be quite high ... if no one pays for that you can be pretty f*cked.
                1. And if that Company that has f***ed up happens to be Schenker & Co, you are fine ?!?
                2. ALL of those EU mirror images of Clevo depend on CLevo for tech. They aren't doing much of certification of their own. So they have what Clevo has.
                3. Most ( all ) of the imported merchandise has CE (etc) seals.
                4. So the game is really, where do you want to be in the chain that starts in China and where each link takes its cut.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  Quite interesting. I'm still undecided wheter I should take the tax and customs risk and order the new Purism here in Europe or if I take this powerful AMD offer from Tuxedo. Coreboot would be really nice, the hardware kill switches too... but an eight core AMD with a non-US keyboard is really nice as well!
                  Hardware kill switches mean nothing. 5 Eyes has a program for automated tracking of "interesting" individuals.( Which BTW doesn't require effort). After that, you get approved for automated t4rackign, which means that EVERYTHING you buy or import gets hidden bug. Often it is in the form of CAM/MIC in the panel matrix.

So you can play with switches and fap about free laptop/Coreboot, but the module is autonomous - it has WIfi ( or similar) radio.
                  Best part is, maintenance of such thing is automated - if something breaks and you need a display replacement, shop will get you new one that is similarly "enriched".

Same with phones, albeight to a 1000x degree:

Comment

Originally posted by buhtope3 View Post
                    A bit to late Tuxedo, I'm awaiting now Macbook with ARM.
                    Bro, you know that the new ARM Macs will have a super-locked TPM bootloader, right? There is no native Linux support possible anymore. Apple engineers confirmed this between the lines.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                      Vega and Navi are not terrible at compute.
                      There is proprietary software that only supports CUDA. In Photogrammetry there's nothing decent/competitive other than CUDA only proprietary software. Open-source solutions have a long way to go, and even there the CUDA support outclasses other compute options. Used to be an issue with Blender too regarding performance iirc, although I think AMD is decent there too now?

Comment

Working...
                      X