X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
    I am still on the lookout for a good laptop with Ryzen 4xx0U, and nonsoldered RAM and storage.

The ThinkPads with the non-PRO (a shame, some of the PRO models actually are an upgrade from the non-PRO models) Ryzens seem to be good, especially considering the price.

However, if some vendor would release a budget model that is both upgradeable, and not with horrible cooling (why betray my trust, Dell?) and build quality, with an Athlon 3xxxU Gold, now that would be awesome for some of my contacts (that would even be a minor upgrade over my i5-6200U, however I would prefer for myself at least a Ryzen 3, since that would be a massive upgrade for me).
    The X13 with the Ryzen Pro series has a single M.2 NVMe slot, so non-soldered storage.

The memory is soldered, but its the fastest DDR4 that it supports and is in a dual-channel configuration with 2x 8GB channels.

Seems most laptops now at least have some soldered memory unless its a gaming type laptop.

Leave a comment:

• moriel5
    replied
    I am still on the lookout for a good laptop with Ryzen 4xx0U, and nonsoldered RAM and storage.

The ThinkPads with the non-PRO (a shame, some of the PRO models actually are an upgrade from the non-PRO models) Ryzens seem to be good, especially considering the price.

However, if some vendor would release a budget model that is both upgradeable, and not with horrible cooling (why betray my trust, Dell?) and build quality, with an Athlon 3xxxU Gold, now that would be awesome for some of my contacts (that would even be a minor upgrade over my i5-6200U, however I would prefer for myself at least a Ryzen 3, since that would be a massive upgrade for me).

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    s the screen back on and brings me back to the unlock screen like nothing ever happened. If i leave the lid closed for long enough, it hangs with the screen off and won't recover.

Michael I know you've got a Lenovo instead, but have you confirmed if sleep/hibernate are working on your new laptop?
    Having just ordered the Ideapad (see post 44) I've been keeping an eye on the BIOS for it, apparently there is a BIOS fix (Update AMD PI 1004 patch D to fix S0i3 issue) for this model and perhaps it's coming to yours

For info......

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/tw/en/p...loads/DS544123

also from Manjaro....

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/lenovo-ideapad-5-14are05-suspend-and-backlight-do-not-function-correctly/151878
    Last edited by Slartifartblast; 20 July 2020, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    I'm running a Lenovo X13 with the AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U

16GB DDR4 3200, 8 Cores, 1.7Ghz base clock, 4.1Ghz max

Memory is soldered down, makes the TSME a little pointless since RAM can't even be removed.

Definitely wasn't cheap but I'm enjoying it.

Running Arch Linux on a 5.6 kernel right now without any problems.

Fingerprint reader doesn't work though no support for it on Linux.

From the little I've been able to find on benchmarks for this one looks more powerful than Intel's i7-10710U.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    I just got an HP Envy x360 13" in the mail late last week. Ryzen 4700U, 13.3" IPS 400nit Touchscreen, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD.

The thing screams through the work I've given it, can hold 75-100fps in WoW Classic when running on battery, and when browsing the web Gnome reports 10-15 hours battery life. I'm hopeful that this thing lasts for a good long time.

That being said, right now the thing will NOT suspend/sleep properly. I get a stack trace in dmesg related to dpm in the amdgpu driver and the laptop doesn't actually sleep (can usually hear the CPU fan and see the power LED is still on if you look in the crack between the body/LCD. If I open the lid within a minute or so, it turns the screen back on and brings me back to the unlock screen like nothing ever happened. If i leave the lid closed for long enough, it hangs with the screen off and won't recover.

Michael I know you've got a Lenovo instead, but have you confirmed if sleep/hibernate are working on your new laptop?

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Just ordered one of these but in 4300U, IPS screen, 57Wh battery, 8gb (dual, 8gb soldered) and 256gb ssd.

Bit of a wait time though before delivery, ca. 5 weeks.

Price with student (children have their uses) and weekend deal discount.... £427 inc vat

AMD, please don't let me down again with support length; you are not so strapped for cash anymore so keep the support going.
    Last edited by Slartifartblast; 20 July 2020, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Intel has a reputation for "convincing" (read: $$$) the OEM's to not produce any machines that compete with intel on the high end. Crippled budget machines are fine for AMD cpu's, but ultrabooks and workstation class hardware are off limits. Should a big OEM go against intel's "suggestion" they will find themselves losing their volume discounts and sales incentives. Intel is every bit as bad as Microsoft when it comes to anti-competitive practices.
    I suspect the same. I hope they see the tide turning. At the end money is counting. If they see how much money they lose by sticking to intel they might change. But well if there is a monopoly that is of course difficult. Once again I m hoping the EU is preparing a lawsuite like 2009 for the very same reason of uncompetitive business practices.

Leave a comment:

• hiryu
    replied
    Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Unfortunately, anything with a dGPU is gonna put out a decent amount of heat (and anything without one is gonna be garbage for gaming :P )

That being said, I'm pretty sure the G14 has "Silent" and "Performance" modes you can switch between, so when you're not gaming you can keep the heat/power consumption limited.

As for the comments conspirisizing about Intel not letting laptop manufacturers make truly high-end AMD laptops, in reality, it's much more likely that the laptop makers didn't know/believe just how good Ryzen 4000 was going to be. Even I didn't expect them to stomp Intel as much as they did. Now that the laptop makers are more familiar with how good the processors are, maybe we'll see them in more of the "luggable workstation/gaming battlestation" designs in the future. Besides, the idea that the 4000 series chips aren't in high-end laptops is kinda not true, e.g. the G14 is by far the highest end laptop in the 14" gaming laptop class/category, even matching/beating systems on other, entirely different classes/categories.
    My concern about heat is a warm machine even when I'm doing mundane tasks such as surfing the web. This is the issue with the current laptop that I have. Now I'm paranoid and want to make sure my next machine won't be miserable to use just because I opened some browser tabs and typed some emails.

I think you're right that vendors didn't expect the mobile Ryzen chips to be so awesome. I also think Intel probably adjusted their prices a bit, and there's probably a strong feeling of "nobody got fired for using Intel".

Unfortunately, doesn't look like this is going to change anytime soon... But with the way things are going, I think it's going to happen at some point:
    While NVIDIA has brought its RTX 20 SUPER mobile GPUs to new Intel Comet Lake-H laptops, Frank Azor has confirmed that there will be no Ryzen 4000 series laptops with the RTX 2070 or better any time. As expected, Intel-powered machines will remain the gaming laptops of choice for 2020.

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    Originally posted by hiryu View Post

I've definitely considered that one, but it sounds like it's on the warmer side, which is my big complaint about the Oryx Pro 6.
    Unfortunately, anything with a dGPU is gonna put out a decent amount of heat (and anything without one is gonna be garbage for gaming :P )

That being said, I'm pretty sure the G14 has "Silent" and "Performance" modes you can switch between, so when you're not gaming you can keep the heat/power consumption limited.

As for the comments conspirisizing about Intel not letting laptop manufacturers make truly high-end AMD laptops, in reality, it's much more likely that the laptop makers didn't know/believe just how good Ryzen 4000 was going to be. Even I didn't expect them to stomp Intel as much as they did. Now that the laptop makers are more familiar with how good the processors are, maybe we'll see them in more of the "luggable workstation/gaming battlestation" designs in the future. Besides, the idea that the 4000 series chips aren't in high-end laptops is kinda not true, e.g. the G14 is by far the highest end laptop in the 14" gaming laptop class/category, even matching/beating systems on other, entirely different classes/categories.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

One more asking for "decrippled" products. Exactly why is that not on the market. High demand on "artificial niche" products..

Marketing-guy: Who is going to want a powerfull amd with adequate gfx card and a decent display?
    Other-Marketing guy: no one - we should rather put the good displays and the good gfx cards to the inferior power hungry intels.
    Boss: Im pleased to have such a competent team. Consider your annual bonus as granted. Arent we good!?
    Intel has a reputation for "convincing" (read: $$$) the OEM's to not produce any machines that compete with intel on the high end. Crippled budget machines are fine for AMD cpu's, but ultrabooks and workstation class hardware are off limits. Should a big OEM go against intel's "suggestion" they will find themselves losing their volume discounts and sales incentives. Intel is every bit as bad as Microsoft when it comes to anti-competitive practices.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X