Dell To Begin Shipping Ubuntu 20.04 LTS On Their Latest XPS Developer Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    It is a mess. There are no proper AMD Ryzen Laptops out there made by Dell, Lenovo, HP ...I truly believe there are some bad business practices behind close doors ongoing.
    maybe amd don't have enought chips yet. maybe the big reason is, this things take time to change, this design are ready for some time maybe next year the offers with amd grown

Comment

Is it still easier and less time consuming to install Ubuntu from scratch than to actually find the hidden place on their website where you can order a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        Is it still easier and less time consuming to install Ubuntu from scratch than to actually find the hidden place on their website where you can order a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled?
        https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...x13w10p1c2700u

Or hit search on their website and put "linux".
        Last edited by Laughing1; 23 June 2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

It is a mess. There are no proper AMD Ryzen Laptops out there made by Dell, Lenovo, HP ...I truly believe there are some bad business practices behind close doors ongoing.
          Oh, but there is, even sparkling with Unicorn Dust: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...155w10p1c1200a

I recently got myself one of those, since it seems to be the only Ryzen 4000 laptop with a H-Series processor, AMD graphics, 16GB of dual channel RAM and an acceptable screen. It could be more beautiful or in a better case and have a beefier cooling system, but I guess I can live with that. Unfortunately you have to pay the Microsoft Tax, but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...x13w10p1c2700u

Or hit search on their website and put "linux".
            Yup, so installing Ubuntu from scratch is still easier than finding that hidden product.

Comment

This. Why is it not on the market?
              The 'workstation' laptops need to offer CUDA to be credible; you can't bring to market a ThinkPad workstation that ML folk won't buy, and that rules out AMD discrete graphics at the moment.

There are AMD4000 laptops from Lenovo: in some markets the T14 is already released. In Australia, not, but I ordered an IdeaPad for my son. It is a long wait ... six weeks. There clearly is a shortage of something; whether it is the CPU or manufacturing capacity due to covid19 don't know. I suppose it gives the kernel more time to improve support.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post

Oh, but there is, even sparkling with Unicorn Dust: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...155w10p1c1200a

I recently got myself one of those, since it seems to be the only Ryzen 4000 laptop with a H-Series processor, AMD graphics, 16GB of dual channel RAM and an acceptable screen. It could be more beautiful or in a better case and have a beefier cooling system, but I guess I can live with that. Unfortunately you have to pay the Microsoft Tax, but oh well.
                Thank you for pointing this one out, it seems to be an allegedly nice one . Enjoy! And I can not see any obvious crippling. like low resolution or bad graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                  The 'workstation' laptops need to offer CUDA to be credible; you can't bring to market a ThinkPad workstation that ML folk won't buy, and that rules out AMD discrete graphics at the moment.

There are AMD40 00 laptops from Lenovo: in some markets the T14 is already released. In Australia, not, but I ordered an IdeaPad for my son. It is a long wait ... six weeks. There clearly is a shortage of something; whether it is the CPU or manufacturing capacity due to covid19 don't know. I suppose it gives the kernel more time to improve support.
                  I understand your argument. But e.g. the "workstation of all mobile dell workstations" Precission 7490 has the whole CUDA lineup T1000 up to RTX 5000 as options but also a Radeon WX 3200 WX as possible configuration- But no AMD CPU.

Besides CUDA is just one part of a workstation usecase. Bottom line you are not wrong but it does not mean that there is no possibility to offer the other card too as show in this prominent example of Dells Precision Lineup.

Next point - yes there are 14" notebooks also some by lenovo even not sold out. But 14" is large enough to say well you can start to work but way to low to consider it as "workstation" so here we are again it is somehow crooked. The only 15+ inch models available are gaming laptops or budget. I haven't found a single one considered as business or workstation, premium.
                  And please the engineers get early enough cpu samples to see how fast it can be and how much power it draws. Considering the superior performance of even Ryzen 4700H 35W over some i9 45W chips would make me eager to put those into my premium workstation products. Just to be better then my competitor. But this market principles are not applied - why? Especially if all 3 largest OEM suppliers are not doing this.
                  Interestingly the not so large marketshare holders like Microsoft with Surface or MSI Asus Acer are willing to put the AMD Processors in their Performance models.

How about the non mobile market - Threadripper is ripping apart any Intel Chip competing against it even in higher price ranges. Have you seen any workstation by Lenovo or Dell with it? No. I have asked the business sales contact on the german lenovo website if there are _ANY_ AMD based Desktop Workstations (not only Threadripper) in the business sektor - answer no and there will be also none in the near future.
                  I have asked Dell if there are _ANY_ AMD based Desktops (even non business) besides of the Alienware system ...answer: no there arent - and this decision was done by the management he does not know why.

Threadripper is dominating since years and there is no Workstation available from Lenovo or Dell? I can stack 4 CUDA beasts into it but no Threadripper?

This is to odd to be true - how can someone after 3 Years not even think about putting this processors into their Workstations especially if it is known that there is nothing competitive uprising from intel? For laptops one can argue they just realeased the really good processors a few month ago but on the desktop market?

Last edited by CochainComplex; 24 June 2020, 04:22 AM.

Comment

You kidding? There are some excellent ones out there.

Check out The Asus Zephyrus G14 It has a Ryzen 9 4900HS and a 1660 TI. This is pretty close to workstation class in something that is 0.7 inches thick.

Or if you want the ultra book route the HP ENVY x360 is very powerful well built system for the form factor.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 24 June 2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

AMD needs to really focus on their APUs for that to happen; basically by releasing a lot of stuff with an iGPU on board like Intel does regardless of how many FPS the crappy iGPU can play Crysis at. One of the Intel highlights is having their high-end mobile or desktop stuff come with the iGPU so their stuff can be seen as the one stop solution. AMD, OTOH, hasn't really been making high-end APUs until very recently, and it can even be argued that the 4000s are really only mid-tier at best when compared to what Intel offers with a iGPU, so they're not seen by system makers for that purpose like Intel is.
                      Huh? iGPUs only have a purpose in laptops. Otherwise they are a waste of silicon.

I haven't purchased a desktop Intel CPU with an iGPU, ever. I believe the progression went Pentium 166, Pentium III 350, a few AMD systems, Intel 920, Intel 980X, Intel 5960X and then more AMD Ryzen systems.

More cores and more cache is always better than that waste of space that is an Intel iGPU. Unless you are in a power limited situation, then it's great.

But I suppose you a pointing out the view of system builders. Who are focused on building low cost piles of junk. So I suppose you're right, they want an iGPU so they can sell a machine for $250 that can't even run the Windows 10 DWM at full speed.

Comment

Working...
                      X