No announcement yet.

Dell To Begin Shipping Ubuntu 20.04 LTS On Their Latest XPS Developer Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is great news, IMHO, regardless the processor. My casual web-browsing laptop (after a couple generations of cheap chromebooks) isa dell XPS 13 9333. It is 7 years old, it has an old i5-4210U @1.70Ghz and it still rocks Ubuntu (20.04 right now) like a champ. Really well built (and yes, these new Ryzens are amazing)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

AMD needs to really focus on their APUs for that to happen; basically by releasing a lot of stuff with an iGPU on board like Intel does regardless of how many FPS the crappy iGPU can play Crysis at. One of the Intel highlights is having their high-end mobile or desktop stuff come with the iGPU so their stuff can be seen as the one stop solution. AMD, OTOH, hasn't really been making high-end APUs until very recently, and it can even be argued that the 4000s are really only mid-tier at best when compared to what Intel offers with a iGPU, so they're not seen by system makers for that purpose like Intel is.

The iGPU on a lot of stuff is also what makes Intel a better choice in regards to (power) users running VMs. I know I can't be the only one who would rather have an iGPU and a secondary power hogging dGPU that I use as necessary over a CPU and two dGPUs in a desktop and workstation situation.

It's not that AMD doesn't make good products, it's that they haven't put their attention towards high-end with iGPU so Intel is the better choice. With two generations of console APUs, I'm really hoping their AM4 successor and what comes next in their CPU lineups are a lot more iGPU (APU) focused because moar coars only goes so far (in the consumer market).
      Well I'm a bit baffled now - since when iGPU's are better then the APU's? Didn't Intel buy in some APU knowledge from AMD because they are more powerfull?

Intel Ice lake vs AMD Picasso vs AMD Renoir in 5 Games00:01 - PUBG01:59 - The Witcher 304:15 - Resident Evil 307:03 - Wolfenstein II09:53 - Dota 2Took older ...

Besides - Why do i need a powerfull APU for 4900H + Nvidia 2060? the 4900H is powerfull enough to drive any existing Highend card but why is only the 2060 Max q option available? not even 2060 (normal).

It just does not sum up.

apu was the only point where amd was always better then intel since their release.
      (p.s.: even the old apu's are nice https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425...400g-review/)

p.p.s.: if you refer to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnH_FsLX8Ec I would say the cpu is bottlenecking
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 23 June 2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Well I'm a bit baffled now - since when iGPU's are better then the APU's? Didn't Intel buy in some APU knowledge from AMD because they are more powerfull?

Intel Ice lake vs AMD Picasso vs AMD Renoir in 5 Games00:01 - PUBG01:59 - The Witcher 304:15 - Resident Evil 307:03 - Wolfenstein II09:53 - Dota 2Took older ...

Besides - Why do i need a powerfull APU for 4900H + Nvidia 2060? the 4900H is powerfull enough to drive any existing Highend card but why is only the 2060 Max q option available? not even 2060 (normal).

It just does not sum up.

apu was the only point where amd was always better then intel since their release.
        (p.s.: even the old apu's are nice https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425...400g-review/5s)
        It's not that what Intel offered was better, because they're not better (now), it's that Intel was there at all that's the point. Up until very recently, AMD really hasn't paired an iGPU with their high end stuff, only their mid-range stuff at best while Intel has almost always had their high end stuff come with an iGPU since Intel has been Intel. The Intel stuff didn't have to be better. The fact that they simply existed has always been good enough until the 4000 series APUs so it'll be interesting to see what happens now that AMD is starting to actually bring something to that market that goes blow for blow with Intel on the CPU side with a better iGPU.

All we can do is hope the executives start to take notice which is why AMD needs to step up their iGPU marketing and presence.

Comment

It's not that what Intel offered was better, because they're not better (now), it's that Intel was there at all that's the point. Up until very recently, AMD really hasn't paired an iGPU with their high end stuff, only their mid-range stuff at best while Intel has almost always had their high end stuff come with an iGPU since Intel has been Intel. The Intel stuff didn't have to be better. The fact that they simply existed has always been good enough until the 4000 series APUs so it'll be interesting to see what happens now that AMD is starting to actually bring something to that market that goes blow for blow with Intel on the CPU side with a better iGPU.

All we can do is hope the executives start to take notice which is why AMD needs to step up their iGPU marketing and presence.
          Ok now I understand your point.

Comment

The picture becomes more clear - I hope the the antitrust division will finally wake up

According to tipster @_rogame, Intel appears to have compared a Comet Lake i7-10750H laptop equipped with a 90W GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q with a Renoir Ryzen 9 4900H laptop sporting a 65W variant in a slide highlighting frame rate improvements

Comment

Is for the dell xps 7390 and 9300 the regression bug fixed?
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems not...
              == SRU justification focal == As reported here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/intel-linux/1174225-dell-xps-7390-intel-ice-lake-performance-hit-hard-by-a-linux-kernel-regression?view=stream This primarily impacts "Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa)." as it switched to 5.4 kernel. The 5.4 kernel added support for "Processor thermal device", for Ice Lake, which will expose the power tables (via PPCC). This system default "max RAPL long term power limit" is 15W...

Comment

${Getting a DELL meme}
                Hmm, didn't quite understand the meme so did some (too much?) "research".

"Curtis' tenure with Dell ended shortly after he was arrested and accused of buying a bag of marijuana in 2003. Dell terminated the role and according to Curtis, he was blacklisted from the entertainment community, and it was difficult for him to find work"

Whoever he was, it seems so tragic that there was no happy ending for that guy haha.

Still don't quite get the meme however XD

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                  Ok, now... please XPS 17 with Ryzen 9 4900HS and Radeon 5500 or 5600 XT.
                  AMD Hybrid graphics suck on Linux. Even when DRI_PRIME works correctly, the discrete GPU performance isn't what it should be. Give me a good 4800U or 4900U over that mess any day.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Hmm, didn't quite understand the meme so did some (too much?) Still don't quite get the meme however
                    Curtis is kind of a cult hero, especially to stoners. And he was arrested for something that is much more decriminalized nowadays (and never should have been criminalized in the first place).
                    That said, please don't post annoying memes/gifs/images. This is not 4chan.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                      It is a mess. There are no proper AMD Ryzen Laptops out there made by Dell, Lenovo, HP ...I truly believe there are some bad business practices behind close doors ongoing.
                      Lenovo has announced the Legion 5 with Ryzen. Asus and HP also announced laptops with Ryzen. But I agree it's too scarce.

Comment

Working...
                      X