System76 Begins Offering Serval WS Laptop With AMD Ryzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Ugh. Tell me why did you have to put NVIDIA in an AMD machine.

Clevo all over again?!
    Yes Clevo - I have seen this kind of machine a few weeks ago on the german Clevo site. https://clevo-computer.com/en/laptop...zen-prozessor/

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Let's put it this way, garbagemouth: not that your opinion matters any more than mine, but would you rather System76 be just another Lenovo-Dell-Asus wannabe, or go their own way with something unique?
      I really like system76 for there dedication to Linux. But I have had mixed experiences with a Clevo Notebook (no system76). Performance was nice but the Display Hinge was as bad as it could be. Prone to break very early....It did btw. Cooler was also rather noisy. For me Clevo rigs are a mixed bag. The Hardware itself was good.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        i certainly wouldn't pay them for novideo gpu. and that's even without considering availability of laptops with novideo
        I think they have tied hands here - it is a Clevo after all and if Clevo does not provide an AMD option - System76 cant as well.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Apple is NOT in the Linux market. They don't give two shits about any market outside of their own walled garden. The HPC market and very high end rendering market runs Linux/Nvidia backends. The Apple workstations are front ends for editing and creativity. It's not for HPC development and the rendering farms are always Linux clusters.
          Besides Apple is know to invest a lot of money to make there systems not "hackable". So installing anything other than Mac OS is considered as hack. I think even install Windows (which was once endorsed with boot camp) is getting more difficult.

Comment

Wait a sec, but up till recently, fellow Phoronix readers said System76 couldn't release an AMD laptop because Clevo didn't offer AMD. When did they start offering AMD then?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              You would expect from a Linux-only company to understand that most Linux users want an AMD GPU, not an nVidia GPU. Is it really that hard to swap the nVidia for an AMD?
              Yes, they aren't designing the laptops, they buy from Clevo and customize them (firmware and whatnot).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                Wait a sec, but up till recently, fellow Phoronix readers said System76 couldn't release an AMD laptop because Clevo didn't offer AMD. When did they start offering AMD then?
                They were in the pipeline since at least january 2020.
                https://www.anandtech.com/show/15378...en-9-3000-cpus

And now you can get a motherload of them, as long as you like NVIDIA dedicated graphics https://clevo-computer.com/en/laptop...-by-amd-ryzen/

Clevo isn't inherently evil and in bed with Intel, once they saw that AMD parts were competitive on laptops (the current gen of laptop parts), they added product lines.

If this lineup sells decently they will probably add more normal non-gaming laptops as well.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 June 2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Besides Apple is know to invest a lot of money to make there systems not "hackable". So installing anything other than Mac OS is considered as hack. I think even install Windows (which was once endorsed with boot camp) is getting more difficult.
                  This is wrong, Windows on Mac is still officially supported. There is also nothing preventing other OSes from running beside the lack of drivers and documentation for all the weird shit they pull off with their system. Last time it was some weird thing with the onboard SSD that was preventing boot, until someone added a device-specific workaround for that model.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Yes, they aren't designing the laptops, they buy from Clevo and customize them (firmware and whatnot).
                    Can't they ask Clevo to make special builds for them? Or find another provider who can?

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
                      I'm just not interested in buying a laptop with a discrete GPU, regardless of who made the GPU. We need more options with AMD integrated graphics.
                      Depends on individual needs, to each their own. But yes, it would be nice to have a no dGPU option. If the CPU is upgradeable, then awesome!

Comment

Working...
                      X