System76 Begins Offering Serval WS Laptop With AMD Ryzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

How the fuck does using an off the shelf APU make them an instant Lenovo competitor and how is that a death sentence? Is Lenovo the only company capable of using an APU without going out of business?
    Let's put it this way, garbagemouth: not that your opinion matters any more than mine, but would you rather System76 be just another Lenovo-Dell-Asus wannabe, or go their own way with something unique?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They clearly don't read the Phoronix forums
      But,... People on forums just talk and/or whine... Who's gonna really buy laptops with AMD GPUs? It looks like Nvidia offers better performance per watt, than AMD dedicated GPUs. In laptops it matters, not for battery, but for good cooling.

Comment

Given the existence of the latest Zen 2 mobile, this makes no sense. How about a 4800H? Or even 4800U?

Comment

Workstation customers are not buying these systems for gaming. They're buying them because they have heavy duty system RAM and computing time needs. I wouldn't buy this for school, nor work because my needs for a laptop in those cases aren't demanding. If I still wrote programs for HPC or I were heavily into 3D rendering, this product would be right down my ally because AMD GPUs have almost no presence in that market. It's nearly entirely Nvidia compute clusters and Nvidia support for 3D rendering either for traditional polygons or ray tracing.

These systems aren't for people wanting to run Mankind Divided on Linux. These systems are for those that wrote and developed the program and artwork for Mankind Divided instead.

Comment

system76: vendor of anti-linux laptops

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
              Certainly, for a high-power portable workstation, there are likely more customers with CUDA requirement than not.
              and there are much more customers with windows requirement

Comment

would you rather System76 be just another Lenovo-Dell-Asus wannabe, or go their own way with something unique?
                isn't linux support already unique enough?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  isn't linux support already unique enough?
                  Depends. Given Michael's aforementioned review of Ubuntu 20.04 on Lenovo Ideapad, would you pay System76 Yankee Dollars just for Linux support?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0u-linux&num=1

Comment

Depends. Given Michael's aforementioned review of Ubuntu 20.04 on Lenovo Ideapad, would you pay System76 Yankee Dollars just for Linux support?
                    There's a lot of value-add with the System76 units. Preloaded with Coreboot and disabled ME is a big one. Those two are not simple DIY's. Certainly not for the technically timid, especially on laptop hardware. I know these don't apply specifically to the machine in this article, but we're talking about the company as a whole here. Also their broad range of products. When you look at Lenovo/Dell/etc. they offer Linux support only on a tiny subset of their overall product portfolio, far fewer products than what System76 offers.

Comment

Fingers crossed for some high spec Ryzen 4000 & NAVI2 laptops in the not so distant future

What'll be the first ones to include AV1 decoding yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X