Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Begins Offering Serval WS Laptop With AMD Ryzen

Phoronix: System76 Begins Offering Serval WS Laptop With AMD Ryzen

Linux enthusiasts have long been after System76 to offer an AMD Ryzen powered laptop and today they announced such in the form of the new Serval WS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ugh. Tell me why did you have to put NVIDIA in an AMD machine.

Clevo all over again?!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Ugh. Tell me why did you have to put NVIDIA in an AMD machine.

Clevo all over again?!
      Hmm.. because System76 reads Phoronix and thinks Nvidia might work better?

Certainly, for a high-power portable workstation, there are likely more customers with CUDA requirement than not. You can't please everyone.

Comment

Laptop that looks like a brick with a brick in it (Nvidia), no thanks.

Wake me up once they make a slick AMD only setup.

Comment

I'm just not interested in buying a laptop with a discrete GPU, regardless of who made the GPU. We need more options with AMD integrated graphics.

Comment

Too bad about the GPU, that 100% kills this product for me. I get that some people want it for CUDA, but any time I'd want CUDA, I'd want a desktop workstation or a server anyway.

Comment

You would expect from a Linux-only company to understand that most Linux users want an AMD GPU, not an nVidia GPU. Is it really that hard to swap the nVidia for an AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                Laptop that looks like a brick with a brick in it (Nvidia), no thanks.

Wake me up once they make a slick AMD only setup.
                Wake up, Almindor! And smell the coffee: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0u-linux&num=1

Slick AMD-only laptops are a thing. You can go out and by a Lenovo at quite reasonable cost. And Michael did. Wanting System76 to compete with Lenovo on consumer-grade systems -- quite capable consumer-grade systems -- is a death wish for System76.

This Serval WS line is unique, and targets developer customers no one else does. A likely trade-off is relatively low battery life. Would you make that trade in your next laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Hmm.. because System76 reads Phoronix and thinks Nvidia might work better?

Certainly, for a high-power portable workstation, there are likely more customers with CUDA requirement than not. You can't please everyone.
                  They clearly don't read the Phoronix forums

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Wake up, Almindor! And smell the coffee: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0u-linux&num=1

Slick AMD-only laptops are a thing. You can go out and by a Lenovo at quite reasonable cost. And Michael did. Wanting System76 to compete with Lenovo on consumer-grade systems -- quite capable consumer-grade systems -- is a death wish for System76.

This Serval WS line is unique, and targets developer customers no one else does. A likely trade-off is relatively low battery life. Would you make that trade in your next laptop?
                    How the fuck does using an off the shelf APU make them an instant Lenovo competitor and how is that a death sentence? Is Lenovo the only company capable of using an APU without going out of business?

Comment

Working...
                    X