X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nranger
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    The Tuxedo BA15 has almost the same internals as the Walmart Motile M142 laptop whose 3200U variant Michael reviewed here. The screen, chassis, and battery seem to be larger, but the system board and single-heatpipe CPU cooling look identical.
    True, I bought the 3500U version with 8Gb RAM and 256Gb SSD for $329. Outstanding deal at that price.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by sverris View Post

Sure, but to no surprise. If Tuxedo would sell millions of devices, then they could also offer (way) lower prices.
    Well,... It's the other way around... If Tuxedo would offer the laptops at comparable prices, then they would sell millions of devices.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kravemir View Post

It's possible to get Lenovo ThinkPad E595 with better specs at better price,...
    ThinkPad E sucks. Get yourself an L, T, X or A series ThinkPad.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    better aternatives for half of price

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    The Tuxedo BA15 has almost the same internals as the Walmart Motile M142 laptop whose 3200U variant Michael reviewed here. The screen, chassis, and battery seem to be larger, but the system board and single-heatpipe CPU cooling look identical.

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    859 EUR ? for only 8GB RAM in 2020 should cost no more than 6-700EUR. Many Linux users can't afford that price, same laptop with at lest 16GB RAM and a bigger SSD.
    Last edited by onicsis; 25 May 2020, 04:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sverris
    replied
    Originally posted by kravemir View Post

It's possible to get Lenovo ThinkPad E595 with better specs at better price,...
    Sure, but to no surprise. If Tuxedo would sell millions of devices, then they could also offer (way) lower prices.

Leave a comment:

• jospoortvliet
    replied
    Another meh product for a premium. This is what is mostly wrong with Linux based IHV's. You have to accept glaring shortcomings compared to the competition. It's always hardware that would have been impressive 2 years ago, for a price that will buy you a far better machine with the competition. Yes, that hardware is subsidized with crapware, you pay for a Windows license, yadda, yadda, yadda. Truth is that you will have a machine that is up to par with now, not yesterday and it will still be running Linux beautifully.

Don't come to me with "You will be supporting Linux." No, I won't. I will be supporting a company putting out subpar hardware (when compared to the competition) that happens to ship with Linux. Then I will have to put up with lesser hardware and Linux not one inch closer to desktop domination.Another meh product for a premium. This is what is mostly wrong with Linux based IHV's. You have to accept glaring shortcomings compared to the competition. It's always hardware that would have been impressive 2 years ago, for a price that will buy you a far better machine with the competition. Yes, that hardware is subsidized with crapware, you pay for a Windows license, yadda, yadda, yadda. Truth is that you will have a machine that is up to par with now, not yesterday and it will still be running Linux beautifully.

Don't come to me with "You will be supporting Linux." No, I won't. I will be supporting a company putting out subpar hardware (when compared to the competition) that happens to ship with Linux. Then I will have to put up with lesser hardware and Linux not one inch closer to desktop domination.Another meh product for a premium. This is what is mostly wrong with Linux based IHV's. You have to accept glaring shortcomings compared to the competition. It's always hardware that would have been impressive 2 years ago, for a price that will buy you a far better machine with the competition. Yes, that hardware is subsidized with crapware, you pay for a Windows license, yadda, yadda, yadda. Truth is that you will have a machine that is up to par with now, not yesterday and it will still be running Linux beautifully.

Don't come to me with "You will be supporting Linux." No, I won't. I will be supporting a company putting out subpar hardware (when compared to the competition) that happens to ship with Linux. Then I will have to put up with lesser hardware and Linux not one inch closer to desktop domination.
    just because not all their hardware is good value doesn't mean nothing is. The 14" laptop i bought 3 years ago had an amazing price for a quad-core intel, good ram and ssd. I even received a better ssd than what I had ordered... this I wouldn't buy indeed but they have good stuff in their store at competitive prices. And excellent support too! I know at least half a dozen people with their hardware, some who had issues and they had good experiences with their help.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    It is so encouraging to see so many Linux out of the box Laptops and a multitude of companies pumping them out. What I have been trying to mention in some OpenBSD and FreeBSD forms is there are no companies offering either of those OSes pre-loaded and tested on a laptop. I am constantly see articles of the nature of these are the hoops I had to jump through to get my webcam, my audio, my sd card reader, my suspend and resume, etc up and running on a *BSD. If any of the big *BSDs ever want to be more than an also ran position in the operating system world they should pick a company and partner with them to have a laptop that works 100% with their OS out of the box and pre-loaded.

Leave a comment:

• nranger
    replied
    I don't have definitive proof, but this looks like a design from ODM Tongfang.
    Motherboard shot here:
    Linux Hardware, Notebooks, Computer und mehr. Individuell in Deutschland gefertigt, vollständig Linux tauglich, Windows natürlich auch

Looks pretty much identical to the Motile M141/M142 laptops here:

I have the 14" model and the metal chassis, keyboard, and trackpad are nice. For everyone complaining about the single channel ram, no, I can't play many games above 30fps at 720p, but for everything else, it's great. After almost 5 months, my only real disappointment is the battery life, at about 4 hours from the 46whr battery on powersave/50% screen brightness. This Tuxedo version with the larger screen and double the battery might be a great buy at a lower price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X