No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches Their First AMD Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would I buy an AMD Tuxedo laptop if it has an old CPU which is even not allowed to perform well due to this single channel?

I have been looking forward to a Ryzen AMD laptop from Tuxedo since I read that they were working on it. But now I am disappointed. I don't want to buy an AMD laptop for religious reasons. I am looking for an 8 core laptop with(!) SMT which is affordable, can be used unplugged for more than 1 hour, and provides access to all the CPU power there is available.

If vendors just offer crippled AMD based systems they hopefully don't wonder why selling them might not be worth it. They hopefully don't come to the conclusion that people don't want AMD laptops. Vendors should offer good hardware for less money (AMD CPUs are cheaper than Intel ones, right?) and then people will buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

That is all good and well but none of your reasons has to do with actually using the device
      It is usable alright. If using == gaming... then maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        What you seem to be forgetting is that Tuxedo is a German company. Germany is not exactly a cheap country, so it's not strange that they ask a bit more of a premium price.
        And that is my problem how? It's just not an attractive thing. "Ooh, it came with Linux!" and so so specs. Either offer something all the others are not offering in a better package or get out of the business. We don't need "me too" products.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Agreed. It's not like you cannot put Linux on a modern machine that ships with windows. You might have to check whether things like trackpads etc. are supported, though.

I do not really get what the benefit of this machine over the Dells and Lenovos is. I mean, I get that a niche company might not have the resources to release state of the art products whenever a new CPU launches. It might take them a while. Most likely, they do not receive the same support as the mainstream brands do either. However, I find it almost offensive that they are actually trying to sell a single channel (read: crippled, performing well below what would be possible) device to a group of IT enthusiast because, let's face it, nobody else will bother with devices like this. At this point, buying their device can only be classified as a religious act.
          It's possible to get Lenovo ThinkPad E595 with better specs at better price,...

Comment

I can understand some of the skeptics, there is good reason for some criticisms.

But I will just ask one question...

Is there any other AMD-based laptop out there that comes either with a Linux distro pre-installed or even simply bare?

To my knowledge, they are the first ones to actually do it. This might not be the best laptop, but this is the best milestone towards being able to buy what some of us have wanted for years. And if only for that they deserve some respect.
            Last edited by Mez'; 24 May 2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              I can understand some of the skeptics, there is good reason for some criticisms.

Is there any other AMD-based laptop out there that comes either with a Linux distro pre-installed or even simply bare?

To my knowledge, they are the first ones to actually do it. This might not be the best laptop, but this is the best milestone towards being able to buy what some of us have wanted for years. And if only for that they deserve some respect.
              I bought Lenovo A485 bare,... And, I saw some offers for HP laptops, too.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

I bought Lenovo A485 bare,... And, I saw some offers for HP laptops, too.
                If you could point these HP laptops out... Would be great.
                Unfortunately, in my country these A485 are sold with Windows. If they can be bought bare, I missed that info.

Although this has nothing to do with the subject and I would still be happy if they had an AMD-based laptop with no Windows on it, a Thinkpad is the last laptop I would ever buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

"Might not be the best" is a huge understatement. Ryzen is particularly sensitive to memory bandwidth, this is basically an overpriced Facebook machine.

Are they trying to ridicule us?

Comment

I don't have definitive proof, but this looks like a design from ODM Tongfang.
                    Motherboard shot here:
                    Linux Hardware, Notebooks, Computer und mehr. Individuell in Deutschland gefertigt, vollständig Linux tauglich, Windows natürlich auch

Looks pretty much identical to the Motile M141/M142 laptops here:

I have the 14" model and the metal chassis, keyboard, and trackpad are nice. For everyone complaining about the single channel ram, no, I can't play many games above 30fps at 720p, but for everything else, it's great. After almost 5 months, my only real disappointment is the battery life, at about 4 hours from the 46whr battery on powersave/50% screen brightness. This Tuxedo version with the larger screen and double the battery might be a great buy at a lower price.

Comment

It is so encouraging to see so many Linux out of the box Laptops and a multitude of companies pumping them out. What I have been trying to mention in some OpenBSD and FreeBSD forms is there are no companies offering either of those OSes pre-loaded and tested on a laptop. I am constantly see articles of the nature of these are the hoops I had to jump through to get my webcam, my audio, my sd card reader, my suspend and resume, etc up and running on a *BSD. If any of the big *BSDs ever want to be more than an also ran position in the operating system world they should pick a company and partner with them to have a laptop that works 100% with their OS out of the box and pre-loaded.

Comment

Working...
                      X