No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches Their First AMD Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another meh product for a premium. This is what is mostly wrong with Linux based IHV's. You have to accept glaring shortcomings compared to the competition. It's always hardware that would have been impressive 2 years ago, for a price that will buy you a far better machine with the competition. Yes, that hardware is subsidized with crapware, you pay for a Windows license, yadda, yadda, yadda. Truth is that you will have a machine that is up to par with now, not yesterday and it will still be running Linux beautifully.

Don't come to me with "You will be supporting Linux." No, I won't. I will be supporting a company putting out subpar hardware (when compared to the competition) that happens to ship with Linux. Then I will have to put up with lesser hardware and Linux not one inch closer to desktop domination.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
      Another meh product for a premium. This is what is mostly wrong with Linux based IHV's. You have to accept glaring shortcomings compared to the competition. It's always hardware that would have been impressive 2 years ago, for a price that will buy you a far better machine with the competition. Yes, that hardware is subsidized with crapware, you pay for a Windows license, yadda, yadda, yadda. Truth is that you will have a machine that is up to par with now, not yesterday and it will still be running Linux beautifully.

Don't come to me with "You will be supporting Linux." No, I won't. I will be supporting a company putting out subpar hardware (when compared to the competition) that happens to ship with Linux. Then I will have to put up with lesser hardware and Linux not one inch closer to desktop domination.
      Agreed. It's not like you cannot put Linux on a modern machine that ships with windows. You might have to check whether things like trackpads etc. are supported, though.

I do not really get what the benefit of this machine over the Dells and Lenovos is. I mean, I get that a niche company might not have the resources to release state of the art products whenever a new CPU launches. It might take them a while. Most likely, they do not receive the same support as the mainstream brands do either. However, I find it almost offensive that they are actually trying to sell a single channel (read: crippled, performing well below what would be possible) device to a group of IT enthusiast because, let's face it, nobody else will bother with devices like this. At this point, buying their device can only be classified as a religious act.

Comment

I've just seen a list of reasons not to buy it from other people, and those reasons are legitimate. However, I also have a list of reasons to buy it:
        1. It does my part, however small, to keep the computing market from consolidating down to just a few major vendors that are effectively a cabal that control everything.
        2. It supports a company that only sells FOSS (if not FSF RYF certified) operating systems, which is more ethical than companies that do most of their business in proprietary operating systems.
        3. When I'm at an office, or library, or coffee shop with the laptop it will be more recognizable to passers-by that I'm not using something with Windows, MacOS, or ChromeOS. Anything that contributes to the idea that Linux is mainstream is good.
        4. It makes it more likely that Tuxedo Computers will accumulate the money they need to make something more competitive next time.
        5. A massive amount of computer users just don't benefit from the cutting edge. My current Linux laptop is a low end i5 from 2013, this would be a big update. My wife and kids use Chromebooks for mobile computing, obviously this would be an upgrade for them.
        6. I like to avoid spending extra money as much as anyone else, but I get five years of service life out of laptops. Even if this costs $800 more than an equivalent Dell or Lenovo, across the life of the device that's an extra $13.33 per month. That's not a big deal.
        Now as it turns out, my wife is out of work at the moment - thanks COVID-19 - so I'm planning to get a few more years out of my 7 year old laptop. But I view this thing as a good product.

Comment

Michael_S

That is zealotism, no real reasons. They sell underpowered and overpriced products for the zealots, just a religious act.

They aren't a NPO like FSF, they should stay competitive.

This product is ridiculous, a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I've just seen a list of reasons not to buy it from other people, and those reasons are legitimate. However, I also have a list of reasons to buy it:
            1. It does my part, however small, to keep the computing market from consolidating down to just a few major vendors that are effectively a cabal that control everything.
            2. It supports a company that only sells FOSS (if not FSF RYF certified) operating systems, which is more ethical than companies that do most of their business in proprietary operating systems.
            3. When I'm at an office, or library, or coffee shop with the laptop it will be more recognizable to passers-by that I'm not using something with Windows, MacOS, or ChromeOS. Anything that contributes to the idea that Linux is mainstream is good.
            4. It makes it more likely that Tuxedo Computers will accumulate the money they need to make something more competitive next time.
            5. A massive amount of computer users just don't benefit from the cutting edge. My current Linux laptop is a low end i5 from 2013, this would be a big update. My wife and kids use Chromebooks for mobile computing, obviously this would be an upgrade for them.
            6. I like to avoid spending extra money as much as anyone else, but I get five years of service life out of laptops. Even if this costs $800 more than an equivalent Dell or Lenovo, across the life of the device that's an extra $13.33 per month. That's not a big deal.
            Now as it turns out, my wife is out of work at the moment - thanks COVID-19 - so I'm planning to get a few more years out of my 7 year old laptop. But I view this thing as a good product.
            That is all good and well but none of your reasons has to do with actually using the device and its features which is the main priority for most customers.

Comment

It's not a ThinkPad, but this could be worked around these days since ThinkPad IV patents are expired. I care about the trackpoint on my laptop too much to consider anything that doesn't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                It's not a ThinkPad, but this could be worked around these days since ThinkPad IV patents are expired. I care about the trackpoint on my laptop too much to consider anything that doesn't have one.
                Let's face it, who doesn't enjoy fiddling with the nipple ?

Comment

Holy s*! It has dedicated home/page/end and full size arrows keys! 😲😲😲

Almost every other laptop maker seem too stupid to be able to fit them.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

What you seem to be forgetting is that Tuxedo is a German company. Germany is not exactly a cheap country, so it's not strange that they ask a bit more of a premium price. I do, however, agree that at least the RAM should've been dual-channel.

Comment

since Tuxedo uses Clevo I think they have to wait until Clevo updates their Portfolio. dont know how intel focused they are....if they are like dell it will take years to get some proper AMD Notebook.

Comment

Working...
                      X