Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 11 Aiming For Release In Q3

Phoronix: Android 11 Aiming For Release In Q3

Android 11 Developer Previews have been available since February in bringing new 5G APIs, updated Neural Network APIs, privacy and security improvements, HDMI low-latency mode support, and many other additions. Google is now preparing the transition to Android 11 betas and ultimately to have this next mobile operating system release ready to roar by Q3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh goodie - maybe I'll get to use it 5 years from now when I get my next phone.

For all the wailing about how people wish desktop GNU/Linux was more like Android, Android's inability to easily update on devices or to install with one image across devices really really really sucks. In fact, I think it would be fair to say that desktop GNU/Linux will be better off if it's never anything at all like Android.

Comment

I agree with your sentiment there.

Most Android devices age badly because they don't get updates. Or if they do, the updates make things worse.
      I pretty much HAVE to run a custom ROM to get any lifetime out of my devices.

Then you realise that google goes out of their way to gimp anything they didn't personally vet. And an un-vetted device loses access to many applications. They literally just disappear from the Play store.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

For all the wailing about how people wish desktop GNU/Linux was more like Android, Android's inability to easily update on devices or to install with one image across devices really really really sucks. In fact, I think it would be fair to say that desktop GNU/Linux will be better off if it's never anything at all like Android.
        I also agree with the sentiment to an extent. We should give Google credit here, they have made it so you can actually install one image on devices now. It is the manufacturers/carriers not choosing to update their software that is holding devices back.

Comment

I thought HDMI was low-latency already?...

Comment

you are so right... bought a google pixel 3a last week. sure it is nice but the update politics is very stupid.

you get 2-3 years of updates from google and my last google pixel 1 with 32gb storage still was perfect fine only problem was it does not get any security updates from the october 2019... ....

by this you are forced to root it and make LineageOS 17.1 on the phone but it is not real solution because first of all it is really a little bit of work doing so also LineageOS also does not get real security patches and many ROMS are broken and have no google playstore and you have to use non-official roms to get playstore. also vanilla andorid 10 and lineageos who knows why have many bugs and does not work as well as stock andorid 10 on the phone.

this all makes it a mess. you just are forced to put perfect working hardware into the recycling bin and buy a new phone from google.

also all other brands are much worst on this field than google pixel phones. so in reality you can only buy google pixel phones.

apple is also no option because if you buy iphone you need so much money for all kind of stuff that you can just shot yourself in the head with a 9mm gun.

it would be much better if normal linux conquer the smartphone and bring real software and security fix updates like we know it from fedora or debian,
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              by this you are forced to root it and make LineageOS 17.1 on the phone but it is not real solution because first of all it is really a little bit of work doing so also LineageOS also does not get real security patches and many ROMS are broken and have no google playstore and you have to use non-official roms to get playstore. also vanilla andorid 10 and lineageos who knows why have many bugs and does not work as well as stock andorid 10 on the phone.
              You can have the playstore with LineageOS. The only requirements is that you must install gapps before first boot (i.e. when installing the os image in the bootloader)

Comment

Originally posted by Marco-GG View Post
                You can have the playstore with LineageOS. The only requirements is that you must install gapps before first boot (i.e. when installing the os image in the bootloader)
                i just failed to install it. had one non-official rom with playstore for google pixel 1 32gb and there was no working one for the google pixel 1 XL 32gb so i had to install lineageOS16 instead of 17.1 and no working playstore.

i maybe fix this later. but this situation is a complete disaster in my point of view old pixel phones work perfect technically but the end of the software update policty of google is a disaster.

and i ask why? why they can't just sell paid updates ? i pay them for updates no problem lets say 5-10€ for security update and 20-30€ for a big jump from andorid 10 to 11...

but no they do not want to bring you paid updates because they are really stupid.
                Last edited by qarium; 06 May 2020, 09:08 PM.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I used CyanogenMod/LineageOS on my Samsung S3 and it was so much better then Samsung's complete disinterest in software. Since then Google mandated that in order to ship a phone with the Play Store app vendors are required to implement modularity so the operating system can be upgraded separately of the drivers and kernel. So now that there are generic cross-device Builds on XDA the barriers to upgrading are locked bootloaders and losing special features like multi camera tricks...the 3 years Google support is short but it's a minimum, I'm hoping for 6... hoping that ridiculously cheap new iPhone pressures Google into delivering more than offered.

Comment

To be fair, it's 2 years or so that Android does not have any new real feature that matters, and most apps work on most phones.

Comment

Working...
                    X