Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS 3.3 "Rokua" Released With Many Improvements For This Mobile Linux OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS 3.3 "Rokua" Released With Many Improvements For This Mobile Linux OS

Phoronix: Sailfish OS 3.3 "Rokua" Released With Many Improvements For This Mobile Linux OS

Jolla announced today Sailfish OS 3.3 "Rokua" as the newest version of their Linux-based smartphone platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any thoughts on LineageOS vs SailfishOS in terms of privacy and security? GrapheneOS seems great, but I don't feel like buying a new Pixel.

Comment

downloading now.

thanks jolla, looking forward to seeing official support for the Xperia 10 II (my next phone if SFOS is supported).

Comment

Also downloading now.
        I sincerely hope Jolla will support a model with an OLED screen, I miss the "always on clock" feature of my previous phone ( Nokia N9 ).

Comment

Been using 3.3 for some time and if you appreciate screen orientation in android apps then you shouldn't upgrade since it's broken in 3.3
          Originally posted by Terr-E View Post
          I miss the "always on clock" feature of my previous phone ( Nokia N9 ).
          I miss that too but also double tapping the screen.

Comment

As very long time Sailfish OS user I think it a usable everyday mobile OS, and when the QT stack and Webkit update will finally come, it is gonna be great, because you will finally be able to use native browser for all websites and it will make porting new QT apps a lot more easier.
            What buggs me the most about how the whole project is managed is how rarely some things get updated. Only now we got GCC update, QT version is crazy old (and they can't even tell yet to which version will they update it), gecko in native browser is 4 years old, kernels are crazy old and so on.
            But even as the UI concept is very similar to MeeGo, it still is so much better to use than new Android and its clunky gestures.

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
              Any thoughts on LineageOS vs SailfishOS in terms of privacy and security? GrapheneOS seems great, but I don't feel like buying a new Pixel.
              Good question, research some info about SailfishOS and Jolla current ownership.

Comment

I dropped a suggestion to Motorola that they should look at offering Sailfish as an install option on a "blank" phone. (Phone turns on with a choice of phone OS) Also provide a recovery icon on Sailfish in case the user wants to try something else or go back.

They said they would take it back, no one had suggested it before. No support was possible (only Android) they said, but they thought the idea was compelling. Not sure if it will take.

Comment

Reading that it sounds an awful lot like they've still got plenty of technical debt to take care of with in future updates and try to remember that the last update was also one of those technical debt repayment updates.

Updated my Xperia 10 while I wrote this post (had to re-write it as the update finished mid writing) and it seems to have fixed my main gripe, the fingerprint sensor going out. I really loved how smoothly I could wake the screen and unlock it with one single motion and now I can do that again. The UI is probably the best thought out one in the space, particularly when it comes to single handed use, which most other major makers seem to have almost ignored. Only other mobile OS that has even come close in that regard is the textbook lesson in "Too little, too late" that was Windows Phone 7/8/10 (still kind of miffed about how they promised they'd update the Lumia 920 to WP10 and quietly rescinded that mid beta).

Maybe I'm old fashioned in how I insist on using my smartphones one handed, only using two hands when taking a photo or video, but just been how I use my smartphones ever since my first one, the Nokia 3650 (yes, the one with the funky circular keypad).
                  Last edited by L_A_G; 29 April 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post

Good question, research some info about SailfishOS and Jolla current ownership.
                    Sami Pienimäki? Thoughts? Ideally a few more devs would join GrapheneOS and expand its hardware support to a couple more devices.

Comment

Working...
                    X