Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deusexmachina
    replied
    How can we pressure them to bring hot swap batteries back? I figured at least ThinkPad team would listen to the consumers that have built their image over the years...

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i must assure you no rule of law mentions linux
    Not gonna waste my time explaining this to you since clearly you're just trolling.

Leave a comment:

• moriel5
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    Lenovo has been certifying Red Hat Workstation on Think Pad's for years.

As for the other products, I talked with a Lenovo engineer for the IdeaPad's back in January and he said they only certify Windows on those.

He said the cost structure in that channel doesn't permit regression testing of alternate OS'es.
    My IdeaPad 300-15ISK came with FreeDOS (officially, as I can verify on the website with my serial). Lenovo doesn't certify Linux on non-ThinkPad laptops, however they do certify FreeDOS.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    I've been using Fedora since RedHat 5.0 and I don't think it's a good idea. Fedora has a very short support period and often contains major bugs and regressions (e.g. the whole screw up with Pango which is still not solved).

They should have offered laptops with Ubuntu LTS instead - it's the only sane user-friendly distro I can think of. CentOS doesn't cut it because it has a very small number of packages and its kernel is horribly old - users with new AMD/Intel GPUs will not even be able to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    if you can't use keyboard to quickly access any app in gnome, then your hands are brokens
    They can't be broken if I manage to use them for a faster outcome...

I see you enjoy losings
    Wishful thinking.

no, you said that people with non-broken hands have limitations and annoyances of people with broken hands
    Gnome was referred to only through "limitations". Nothing you can say here. It is intentionally limited by design. And that's why most users need extensions.

"Annoyances" was actually directed towards the hardware side as Thinkpads are commonly known to be a pain in the bu** to use. If you've worked with them professionally in big companies with many people complaining about them, you'll know.
    It always comes down to the keyboard layout and the exaggeratedly standing out buttons on top of the touchpad that you hit unwillingly all the time. The trackpad adoption is more of a personal taste and is less complained about, I would admit. It's mostly "how can I deactivate it?". But for me it's still a physical bother even when deactivated.
    Last edited by Mez'; 25 April 2020, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by nils_ View Post
    Horeshit, that's not how it works in any country with rudimentary rule of law.
    i must assure you no rule of law mentions linux

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    People with non-broken hands have the best experience with a launcher such as dash-to-dock with their mice, and ULauncher, Synapse and the likes for non favourite apps with the keyboard.
    if you can't use keyboard to quickly access any app in gnome, then your hands are broken
    I'll play along though.
    i see you enjoy losing
    I know it's a question of personal workflow. I've always said it if you were reading correctly.
    no, you said that people with non-broken hands have limitations and annoyances of people with broken hands
    Last edited by pal666; 25 April 2020, 11:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    The idea that not a single person at IBM/RedHat had a single word to say with anyone at IBM-spinoff Lenovo regarding the placement of an IBM/RedHat sponsored distro onto a Lenovo consumer laptop stretches credulity.
    you already said many words here, so you are involved in subj, right?

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    for your own workflow. yes, i won't be bothered with your limitations or annoyances. my hands aren't broken and people with non-broken hands have best experience with gnome
    Funny you say "for your own workflow" before actually describing a supposedly best experience which is for your own workflow...

I'll play along though. You're a good toy to play with!

People with non-broken hands have the best experience with a launcher such as dash-to-dock with their mice, and ULauncher, Synapse and the likes for non favourite apps with the keyboard.
    Still goes faster to manage apps or windows than anything Gnome for non-broken AND broken hands.

I know it's a question of personal workflow. I've always said it if you were reading correctly.

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    it shipped with bios, bios works, so no return for you
    Horeshit, that's not how it works in any country with rudimentary rule of law.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X