Lenovo To Begin Shipping ThinkPad Laptops With Fedora Pre-Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I do not disagree at all, especially in a situation like Fedora where there are multiple variants, corporate pressures, different teams at different states of progress, etc. I just saw that one statement about installing alongside or in that release statement Michael linked and my first thought was "Well I'd start with the three different partition methods" and it went from there.

That sucks, but it's understandable. Since the BTRFS one has been a know SB bug for a while now (since 29 IIRC), you'd think they'd just remove it from the installer since Red Hat is depreciating that file system anyways. Would be a perfect place to add in an experimental Stratis setup

I assume that ZFS would be a pain in the ass to get going there

But that's that part that I was talking about being slow and clunky. I'm wondering if that is, at least at the time, because Silverblue didn't ship with all of AMDGPU (which made me wonder if y'all test more with Nvidia and Intel GPUs) and if that would have effected its installer to give me the bad experience I'm talking about. Also, just realized I never actually tried that part of the installer on the regular Fedora edition.

It is kind of dumb. I don't want to say that much more because I could write a bunch of ideas and suggestions. Partitioning and default setups is just something I can really nerd off with
    Believe it or not, normal Fedora 32 workstation can now boot and install with a full btrfs (including /boot subvol) setup. RHEL has dropped support for btrfs (lets face it, it was never going to move away from XFS anyway), but Fedora isn't going to.

There's discussion about Fedora dropping LVM and a seperate /home on Workstation because of the terrible LVM tooling and the space problems with a dedicated /home as people are now installing more apps. It would be nice to see more push towards btrfs there as it solves both problems, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      if nothing is preinstalled then most of hardware can be broken and still all shipped functionality works. what use will you have for broken notebook?
      Then I have the option to return it since it's broken.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

Lenovo participates in LVFS and offers BIOS updates through fwupd. More to follow. Keep an eye on this page: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=thinkpad
        Kept an eye on that page for a long time now, but my laptop still isn't supported. AFAIR, Lenovo said that only 2019 and newer models would be supported, so my 2018 ThinkPad is out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
          IBM was not involved here at all.
          yep. not at all. not like after selling their laptop and server biz to them. and after acquaring RH they start to ship Fedora.
          Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
          In fact Lenovo worked with us to get all bugfixes and improvements needed for these laptops upstream into the upstream kernel, GNOME and so on.
          so GNOME now has platform-specific fixes? yeah, cool... not that it hasn't been coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Believe it or not, normal Fedora 32 workstation can now boot and install with a full btrfs (including /boot subvol) setup. RHEL has dropped support for btrfs (lets face it, it was never going to move away from XFS anyway), but Fedora isn't going to.

There's discussion about Fedora dropping LVM and a seperate /home on Workstation because of the terrible LVM tooling and the space problems with a dedicated /home as people are now installing more apps. It would be nice to see more push towards btrfs there as it solves both problems, but I don't think it's going to happen.
            I know that Normal Fedora works with BTRFS. I used it like that and it was just fine. It's Silverblue that doesn't work OOTB with their BTRFS setup. Gotta do a few tweaks in GRUB to get SB to boot (and be nerdy enough to know the correct terms to search for to find where others are talking about this).

When I gave their LVM setup two 300GB disks it would give me 600GB with 70GB root, 24GB swap, 512mb for boot (maybe 1GB...having hard time remembering that one), and the rest to home. My first thoughts were a combination of "70GB??? Well OK then" and "Not having to set fixed partition sizes is why I prefer ZFS & BTRFS and go that route whenever possible".

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
              Then I have the option to return it since it's broken.
              it shipped with bios, bios works, so no return for you

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                yep. not at all. not like after selling their laptop and server biz to them. and after acquaring RH they start to ship Fedora.
                exactly. after selling laptop biz there's no involvement. if it was before selling laptop biz, then you would look for involvement
                Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                so GNOME now has platform-specific fixes? yeah, cool... not that it hasn't been coming.
                moron, how did you miss part where kernel had same fixes?
                Last edited by pal666; 25 April 2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Since the BTRFS one has been a know SB bug for a while now (since 29 IIRC), you'd think they'd just remove it from the installer since Red Hat is depreciating that file system anyways.
                  i hope you mean from sb installer, not normal installer. because redhat deprecated support for rhel, while subj is fedora
                  Would be a perfect place to add in an experimental Stratis setup
                  again i hope you will keep your experiments out of my installer. especially for useless filesystems

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                    Here's the secret:

operating system installers are *hard*.
                    especially in python

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      some people won't be bothered with limitations or annoyances for their own workflow
                      for your own workflow. yes, i won't be bothered with your limitations or annoyances. my hands aren't broken and people with non-broken hands have best experience with gnome

Comment

Working...
                      X