X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be AMD options?

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
      Always great to hear though I would prefer a notebook shipped without anything pre-installed since I'm going to wipe it anyways.
      if nothing is preinstalled then most of hardware can be broken and still all shipped functionality works. what use will you have for broken notebook?

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        To be honest, no sane person who values his privacy is going to leave a preinstalled os intact. The first thing you do, is remove everything entirely and install from your own safe image
        i wonder how many such "you" people among lenovo customers? one per million?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          i wonder how many such "you" people among lenovo customers? one per million?
          Honestly I think there is many! Ever heard of a "corporate install"...

Now I am not saying these things are good. Usually they consist of a ratty Windows image that the IT admins have created (or more likely "evolved" over time) full of bugs and driver / software incompatibilities. And the worst thing is that they install this image on every machine regardless of hardware. It just hurts XD

I would almost prefer the preinstalled (potentially insecure) image over that!

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
            I am not entitled to make Lenovo product announcements, but it is certainly something we brought up with them as something we would like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              I have no clue about the Fedora version, but at least I have seen there are announcements regarding the forthcoming Ryzen 4000 Thinkpad options of Levovo:
              The new T series, X series and L series are built leveraging the core tenets of design, innovation and quality and focus on providing a broad customer choice and a smarter workforce experience.

When the Lenovo ThinkPad T14 was announced this week, people were astounded that the Intel version of this ThinkPad laptop was said to feature RJ45 Ethernet and upgradable RAM, while the datasheet of the AMD version featured neither. We asked Lenovo if this was true - and it turns out that the spec-sheet released by Lenovo was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
                This is just nonsense. IBM was not involved here at all.
                The idea that not a single person at IBM/RedHat had a single word to say with anyone at IBM-spinoff Lenovo regarding the placement of an IBM/RedHat sponsored distro onto a Lenovo consumer laptop stretches credulity.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  The idea that not a single person at IBM/RedHat had a single word to say with anyone at IBM-spinoff Lenovo regarding the placement of an IBM/RedHat sponsored distro onto a Lenovo consumer laptop stretches credulity.
                  IBM and Red Hat still function very independently from eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

I think the important part to remember for experienced users like yourself is that having to install and support your own OS is a barrier to adoption for a lot of potential Linux users and even if you will re-install yourself Lenovo doing this means they will work to ensure there are upstream drivers for all parts of their hardware so no matter what you run it makes things work better.
                    I think a lot of Linux or Unix DIY hands forget about something incredibly important to many people: contractual technical support. With Lenovo doing this consumer Linux users won't be getting blown off if they call the Lenovo tech support if they aren't using Windows. I'm definitely agreeing with you here.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                      Always great to hear though I would prefer a notebook shipped without anything pre-installed since I'm going to wipe it anyways.
                      Ditto- but that being said, I just discovered (probably the last one here to) that the Digital Windows License that comes with modern hardware can be transferred to a VM Image created from a MS Win .ISO download (provided you boot it into Windows at least once (which I do to ensure the manufacturer's peripheral firmware updates happen before I lose WIndows) then sign into your MSLive account). As I need to run Windows very occasionally, it's not a total waste of an install license.

Comment

Working...
                      X