Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches A Power/Thermal Control Center For Their Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Pure C++ is bad idea, either Rust or something else with automatic memory management (garbage collection). C++ takes time to write correctly without memory leaks.
    This thing is basically a GUI for some shell commands, I think writing something in anything more complex than Python would be overkill.

Not saying it's bad, I'm a fan of GUIs for things. It's just that on Linux in 99% of the times the GUI application is just a dumb GUI, all the "smart" logic is already there in some daemon or command line tool.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 April 2020, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

So? If it is "a breeze" you can always re-implement it with the preferred tools.
    I don't have a TUXEDO system, so I have neither reason nor means. Besides, I'm currently working on a couple of other Qt GUIs. (A specialized frontend for Tesseract OCR and a game launcher frontend that serves as a test platform for UX ideas I might eventually try to contribute to Lutris or GNOME Games.)

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

The sad thing is, that looks like it'd be a breeze to do in Qt's QML-free QWidget APIs, either pure C++ or via the Python bindings.
    So? If it is "a breeze" you can always re-implement it with the preferred tools.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Pure C++ is bad idea, either Rust or something else with automatic memory management (garbage collection). C++ takes time to write correctly without memory leaks.
    I was just pointing that out as the polar opposite to doing it in something Node-based to drive home that it's really overkill to rely on something best suited to custom widgetry in this situation.

Python would be what I'd use for automatic memory management in that context, given that the best QWidget bindings currently available for Qt (rust-qt) are still in a state where most of the APIs are the low-level unsafe wrappers because it only just got support for custom signals and slots and subclassing support is apparently the next primary focus.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

The sad thing is, that looks like it'd be a breeze to do in Qt's QML-free QWidget APIs, either pure C++ or via the Python bindings.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    It is open source, let's fork it and do it in Rust hahaha

Leave a comment:

• thxcv
    replied
    Is it comparable to Slimbook Battery 3?

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by lowlands View Post
    While I appreciate the effort, I'm not a fan of Node.js so thanks but no thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    As an openSUSE user I am happy with this support.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by lowlands View Post
    While I appreciate the effort, I'm not a fan of Node.js so thanks but no thanks.
    meh, it is what it is and that's what they have chosen.

I had a look at it - and as one would expect - it is very tightly coupled to their platform

Leave a comment:

Working...
X