No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Outperforming Linux On A ~$5000 Laptop, Ubuntu Beating Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This HP ZBook 17 G6 configuration testes has a retail price of just above $5000 USD.
    Apparently the ZBook comes with a pair...

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

My bad, I was looking at CPU-World.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare_CPU...068404068710/?

Trusted Execution is missing in the i9 but present in the Xeon.

They didn't differentiate on RAM at ECC but it makes sense being a Xeon.

LPDDR3-2133, DDR4-2666
      But technically you are right. there is not much of a real difference if you are not really need/want to use one of this technology.

TDP adjustment I'm still not sure if this is good or bad. In theremal throtteling scenarios it could undervolt (?) and keep the performance higher. Or it could mean you will end up with a lower performance version depending on the choosen tdp by the oem manufaturer.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        nor any other signs of trobule.
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        I'll be trying some fresh Windows 10 vs. Linux benchmarks on a couple more laptops around here as time allows to see if this new Microsoft performance phenomenon is carrying over to more hardware as a result of the newest Windows 10 build or other possible factors irolated to the HP ZBook.

Comment

Must be systemd...

Comment

Some BIOS or kernel issue.

Comment

What were the CPU clocks like under load? This smells like incorrectly set TDP limit under Linux. Nothing we haven't heard of before.

Comment

is it like Ford V Ferrari?
                I'm still not buying Ford (utter shit) or Ferrari (not built with comfort in mind and a bit expensive).
                Should we design benchmark for software usability, drivers availability, UI features and security strategies in place?
                That's what I care mostly, but I guess it's just me

Comment

Tried booting with acpi_osi=Windows? It might trick the EC into thinking you are running Windows and get better performance?

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                    What were the CPU clocks like under load? This smells like incorrectly set TDP limit under Linux. Nothing we haven't heard of before.
                    I would agree. Also, it may explain poor Clear Linux performance. From my experience Clear consumes more power than other distors, and it may lead to heavier throttling. From the other hands, ZBook is quite large, so it should provide better thermal behavior.

Comment

This really smells like a UEFI/software configuration issue more than anything. Clear Linux actually finishing last more than any other? That normally should not happen. Even if Windows 10 were somehow faster on this laptop and in those tests, I'd still have expected a more even spread of last place finishes among the Linux distributions. Something was holding Clear Linux back. And given that, it probably also means that Windows was being helped somehow.

There can be no other conclusion from Clear Linux being beaten even by other Linux distributions. On an Intel no less. Really no other conclusion.

Microsoft did not somehow magically "fix" Windows. Its issues date back many years by now (peculiar scheduler, dreadful filesystem, poor/limiting network stack, etc.), those are not going to somehow magically be fixed overnight.

Nor did Clear Linux somehow magically get broken.

I smell a red herring.

Comment

Working...
                      X