Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sensor Fusion Hub Driver Isn't Yet Queued For Linux 5.7

Phoronix: AMD Sensor Fusion Hub Driver Isn't Yet Queued For Linux 5.7

While a lot of feature work has been building up for Linux 5.7 in various subsystem development repositories ahead of the merge window in a few weeks, one of the big driver additions many users have been clamoring for isn't yet queued. The AMD Sensor Fusion Hub open-source driver for Linux appears stalled pending more reviews from upstream developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am waiting for this even since I bought my laptop.
    Each time a new version of kernel is released I check out dmesg, and hoping that I won't have unknown devices anymore. I seems that 5.7 won't be the lucky version.

Comment

Current issue with the patch is the drivers for the HID part failed to build. As the result, the main driver is still unable to read the HID info.
      Here is the test kernel for those interested: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...kernel-amdsfh/

Thanks Michael for posting an article about the AMD Sensors Fusion HUB.

Comment

In February the third and latest version of the AMD SFH Linux driver was posted following upstream code review.
        I'm pretty sure there is a fourth revision of the patch set.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          I'm pretty sure there is a fourth revision of the patch set
          And if the patch set does not build (as finalzone states), there will be at least a fifth. I am not sure about the IIO subsystem policy (does anyone know the details of their policy regarding new features?) but typically feature patches need to settle for an extended period in the tree before they are allowed to be requested to be pulled during the mainline merge window, so time is getting short. I would hope version five of the patch will be seen soon.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
            I am waiting for this even since I bought my laptop.
            Each time a new version of kernel is released I check out dmesg, and hoping that I won't have unknown devices anymore. I seems that 5.7 won't be the lucky version.
            Is it even worth buying latest laptops,... for business, performance usually doesn't matter much, only the ability to have everything open (32GB RAM) usually matters. For home use, neither performance matters, and usually only 8GB of RAM is enough,... And, for gaming there are better options out there,... So, why the rush with buying latest technology, which doesn't have good/matured support on Linux, yet?

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Is it even worth buying latest laptops,... for business, performance usually doesn't matter much, only the ability to have everything open (32GB RAM) usually matters. For home use, neither performance matters, and usually only 8GB of RAM is enough,... And, for gaming there are better options out there,... So, why the rush with buying latest technology, which doesn't have good/matured support on Linux, yet?
              Yes, buying latest laptops to help contributing to the Linux kernel ecosystem is worth for mid and long terms in order to achieve a nearly out of box experience.
              A few examples, improved touch-screen and tablet experience in addition of fixing a long outstanding ACPI bug plaguing virtually all HP laptops.
              Remember AMD hybrid laptops? Enthusiast bought them and help enabling a smooth experience. Enabling sensor fusion HUB for AMD powered convertible laptops is one of major step which will impact future purchase of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                I'm pretty sure there is a fourth revision of the patch set.
                Yep, and it builds fine with 5.5 series kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Current issue with the patch is the drivers for the HID part failed to build. As the result, the main driver is still unable to read the HID info.
                  Here is the test kernel for those interested: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...kernel-amdsfh/

Thanks Michael for posting an article about the AMD Sensors Fusion HUB.
                  I'm don't know anything about fedorainfracloud but to me it seems like the build succeeded so it does build.
                  To me it seems like there was a failed build but later the build succeeded.
                  What i see is "Instructions not filled in by author. Author knows what to do. Everybody else should avoid this repo." and nothing about HID, am i reading it wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Yes, buying latest laptops to help contributing to the Linux kernel ecosystem is worth for mid and long terms in order to achieve a nearly out of box experience.
                    A few examples, improved touch-screen and tablet experience in addition of fixing a long outstanding ACPI bug plaguing virtually all HP laptops.
                    Remember AMD hybrid laptops? Enthusiast bought them and help enabling a smooth experience. Enabling sensor fusion HUB for AMD powered convertible laptops is one of major step which will impact future purchase of hardware.
                    Definitely makes sense,... though, buyer must be a bit experienced Linux user, in order to be able to provide needed information/help for developers,... or?

Hope, AMD will soon provide APU(s) with PCIe over USB4 support, and it gets adopted by business class laptops like ThinkPad and HP EliteBook/Probook,... as PCIe-over-USB4 would be the only thing, which would make me consider upgrade sooner, than in 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X