Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer Is Launching In Germany What Could Be A Great AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by phrix View Post
    I think you can disable the touchpad if you're not using it.
    You can swap Fn and CTRL in BIOS.
    Before Lenovo messed the keyboard layout, it was the best keyboard for me. Both in feel and keys placement. Lenovo managed to screw a very good keyboard. There are still Ultranav keyboards with the old layout, but they don't feel as good as the old models because they've changed the scissors switches.
    I only use the touchpad except for some right clicks or drag and drop (movement can be wider when holding the button instead of the touchpad). I need both the touchpad and buttons (if any) available. But I can live only with the touchpad.
    It's good to know you can swap both keys in the bios, you never know if my next job will force me to use one.

Anyway, Ideapad looks much more convenient for me than Thinkpad. If I had to go Lenovo, I would rather opt for one of those.
    But I've been really happy with my Asus and if the configuration allows it, I will probably continue with them.

Leave a comment:

• phrix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Won't buy Lenovo either. I don't care if it's ugly (which it is) but the buttons on top of the touchpad is really messing up my workflow. How can you even think of this design? Everytime I push a button, I graze the touchpad. Everytime I write something, I push the buttons somehow.
    And the fn key is really badly positioned for my taste. I end up doing fn+c or fn+v every single time.
    This is the worst keyboard I could think of for my use. It's just wrong for me.
    I think you can disable the touchpad if you're not using it.
    You can swap Fn and CTRL in BIOS.
    Before Lenovo messed the keyboard layout, it was the best keyboard for me. Both in feel and keys placement. Lenovo managed to screw a very good keyboard. There are still Ultranav keyboards with the old layout, but they don't feel as good as the old models because they've changed the scissors switches.

Leave a comment:

• phrix
    replied
    Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

what happens to dual channel performance when you do this?
    I wondered myself and after a little bit of search I found that if the laptop/desktop can boot with different sticks it'll work at the lower speed. So, as expected, the performance will not be that great.
    Why the OEMs take Apple's model and solder everything on the motherboard...

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I share your sentiments towards Acer chassis plastic. Unfortunately the stuff they put inside it is not very durable. I bought my sister one years ago only to have to replace almost everything except the motherboard. But the chassis sure never cracked. Now she is using a Thinkpad T430 that I only had to replace the really old battery.

Women tend to say Thinkpads are ugly, but whatever. If I'm the one doing the maintenance out of my pocket, they will have to learn to like it, or else.
    I really don't. Had an Acer some years ago. Plastic around the hinges was the first thing to crack. That plastic didn't last a year, and I'm always super cautious with my material. I basically stopped closing/opening the lid as much as possible after the first signs and yet it turned really ugly. And it was only the beginning of a long list of failings.
    Before you ask, it was one of the most expensive Acer at the time, around 1500€.
    Got rid of that piece of crap after 3 years. Have an Asus for 8 years now that cost a 1/3 of the price and is still in almost mint condition. The build quality is on an entirely different planet.
    Will never buy Acer ever again. And many others share this view.

Won't buy Lenovo either. I don't care if it's ugly (which it is) but the buttons on top of the touchpad is really messing up my workflow. How can you even think of this design? Everytime I push a button, I graze the touchpad. Everytime I write something, I push the buttons somehow.
    And the fn key is really badly positioned for my taste. I end up doing fn+c or fn+v every single time.
    This is the worst keyboard I could think of for my use. It's just wrong for me.
    Last edited by Mez'; 10 March 2020, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• timrichardson
    replied
    Originally posted by ottokleff View Post
    According to notebooksbilliger.de it is possible to upgrade RAM to 20GB max..
    There are two slots. One holds a 4 GB piece which is soldered on the mainboard. The other holds a 4GB piece in the moment but it is possible to change it to 16 GB piece at maximum.
    what happens to dual channel performance when you do this?

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by thxcv View Post

Yes, it probably does not shut off completely. The question is why. Sometimes it does, sometimes it loses 20% over the weekend, sometimes more and it will drain completely within days. I don't know whats going on but i think HP wants to kill the battery so you have to buy new stuff even if you use it rarely.
    Might be going into S0ix (Windows calls S0i3 ModernStandby, aka ACPI Low Power Idle), instead of S3(Suspend)? If the linux support isn't handled properly, it might just be turning the display off and appearing off/suspended, but still draining more power than it should.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post

[edit] seems like it's the same as for the Intel models, one soldered DIMM and one user replaceable DIMM, see https://www.notebookcheck.com/Lenovo....454874.0.html
    yeah seems that they will trash the T495(T14) with only 1 replaceable sodimm
    they seems to launch another line L14, with rizen PRO, but its a 4650U SMT2, which means lower base clock frequencies, and maybe 2 slots sodimm's( but this is speculation.. )

I want the 4600U( since it delivers 2.3Ghz of base clocks..), so Lenovo could be a NoNo..

Leave a comment:

• glococo
    replied
    I rather go with huawei MagicBook Pro 16

Leave a comment:

• Schugy
    replied
    The 4500U is a nice successor for my Ideapad G50-45 A6-6310 (299€ in Aug. 2014). But this time I will also focus on FullHD IPS Display, Non-Realtek-AC-Wifi, dual channel RAM and preferably LVFS support. After 4 years I found H2OFFT-D.exe to upgrade the UEFI under Freedos and it is quite stable, as long as the UI isn't unresponsive for 3 hours or even more. Best trick is to close Firefox before leaving the Notebook alone with powered off screen. With Ubuntu and y2015 Catalyst there was a severe memory leak but not this kind of unresponsiveness you get with the FOSS driver.

Leave a comment:

• aaahaaap
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post

I was looking to buy T14, until I realized that it will have only one RAM slot, so now I am looking for L14, which will have two.
    Where did you find this info? The only tech specs I've found (at https://www.notebookcheck.com/Lenovo....454529.0.html) about the RAM configuration

[edit] seems like it's the same as for the Intel models, one soldered DIMM and one user replaceable DIMM, see https://www.notebookcheck.com/Lenovo....454874.0.html
    Last edited by aaahaaap; 08 March 2020, 04:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X