Linux Support For Microsoft's exFAT File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BhaKi View Post
    How many "other OS's" are there? I'm writing a micro-kernel myself. Can I ask FS-code writers to write a port of the FS for my OS? You can NEVER port something to an infinite number of OSes. All you can do (and should do) is to fight for open specifications, not open source. Anything that is (Windows + Linux)-specific or (Windows + Linux + Mac)-specific is just as bad as being Windows-specific or Linux-specific. The only FSs that deserve to be called as "open filesystems" are those that have open specifications.
    A spec is useless if code is never created to benefit the large majority of users out there and can never be expected to become mainstream catering to a small niche group of users.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      A spec is useless if code is never created to benefit the large majority of users out there and can never be expected to become mainstream catering to a small niche group of users.
      Do you really not see that Microsoft NEVER pushed common standards if there was any chance of pushing own propriatery patent-encumbered alternatives? Yes, they support TCP/IP, HTML, maybe few others, but only when they are late to the game and had to support it or customers would bitch/go away. Otherwise: ODF -> OOXML, Java -> .NET, OpenGL -> DirectX. So it is *always* non-standard, closed specs, patent encumbered replacement. Why this FS is supposed to be any different? It isnt, they created again own propriatery undocumneted implementation of FS behind closed doors without any effort to talk to anyone else.

Comment

the non-fuse exFat kernel module has been released and available here: https://github.com/rxrz/exfat-nofuse
        tested on 3.8.11, needs fixes to work with kernel 3.9+

Comment

Working...
        X