Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The $199 Motile M141 With AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Offers Surprisingly Decent Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be interesting to know the price of these Intel-based systems (at launch) to get the full extent of this comparison, especially for the most recent ones.

Comment

It will be the affordable 4xxx mobile APUs capable of AAA gaming at 720p or even 1080p a great opportunity for cheap and good liGNUx or Chromebooks laptops - if some MBs come with coreboot - and even MS WOS will run well on those machines to come.

And if someone makes game boxes - Steam Machines - with them will make money.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
        There was probably a boost in sales after that first article about it. I'll bet some of their prices adjust automatically based on the number of sales and stock levels.
        You are grossly overestimating Phoronix userbase, these laptops were on sale at 200$ for christmas or something afaik. I did catch some news of this well before this article anyway.

If the crossed out price is to be believed, it normally sales for $599.
        THat's the oldest trick in the salesman manual, always place a high and outlandish "original price" so whatever price you decide to sell at looks better.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          This is often a marketing strategy where the old price is most of the time the suggested price from the manufacturer.
          And in this case they are the manufacturer or at least they bought wholesale from a whitebox manufacturer so there is no such "suggested price" to begin with.

Coincidence? Aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post
            I love how it's the Ice Lake that overheats.
            Fire Lake

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

I think it is Walmart's brand.
              Yes, Motile is Walmart's house brand from ODM Tongfang. http://www.thtf.com.cn/

You can shop smarter by knowing where resellers like Walmart are getting their laptops. ODMs often sell the same white label laptop to multiple resellers who will then reskin and rebrand the laptop as their own. By shopping around different resellers, you can often find the exact same laptop under different names but at cheaper prices.

They are out of mainland China (contrast with common Taiwanese ODM Clevo). But they also make laptops for brands like Schenker, Maingear, CyberPower, and Insignia (Best Buy).

Comment

So for fun last night I decided to benchmark my System76 Lemur i3-5010U and my Gigabyte Brix-Pro i7-4770R against the tests in the last article about this laptop. What I learned was, that my laptop is shit. But I barely use it and it does what i need to do so no need to upgrade. Now the Desktop on the other hand, that needs an upgrade. Sure it won pretty much all the test, but just only being slightly faster on single threaded tests suck and the multi-threaded tests scaled about as expected for 4/8 vs 2/4.

Here are the results if anyone is interested https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...HU-2002039HU32

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Fire Lake
                  dumpster fire

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    After your review they raised up the price...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vega-HDMI...dio-/715635402

$279...
                    Yes, but it's discounted from $599, so as my significant other might say, "I got a deal!!"

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
                      ....thtf...
                      I wonder what the minimum order quantity and price would be direct.

Comment

Working...
                      X