Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The $199 Motile M141 With AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Offers Surprisingly Decent Performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    The prices wen't back up after not just phoronix, youtubers and reddit hyped the laptop. I'd say its an OK but slighly marginal deal at the current price, $200 is a no brainer.

    The reason it is slower at compression is the single channel ram.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

      Yes, but it's discounted from $599, so as my significant other might say, "I got a deal!!"
      I guess you like blondes

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        That's pretty respectable for a trashbook (laptop in the sub-400$ price range). I also applaud on the choice to place a SSD in there.

        Michael Is the screen an IPS? It seems it has decent viewing angles for a TN in the images
        No applause needed. The cheapest 120GB SSD is cheaper than any new mechanical hard drive. Sad this miss the performance bump a second ram slot would have added.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
          No applause needed. The cheapest 120GB SSD is cheaper than any new mechanical hard drive.
          It's been like that for years, but laptop manufacturers still crammed huge (1-2TB usually) internal hard drives in a craptop or trashbook as a way to attract customers.
          When instead they should have pushed people to be rely on an external drive for their stuff as these laptops fail reliably in 3-4 years of use and most people don't have the basic skill (and know what a sata-usb adapter even is) to actually take out the drive out of the dead junk their laptop became to save their data.

          Sad this miss the performance bump a second ram slot would have added.
          That would have costed a pretty penny for this price range. Dual sockets are starting to be rarer in 800$ price range laptops too.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 02-03-2020, 07:29 PM.

          Comment


          • #25
            For $200 that is a great deal. For $280 it's still good but not at the price where I'd think about buying more than one. Put a slightly less hungry distro on and 4GB should be OK for basic tasks I'd want to throw at it.

            Comment


            • #26
              This would be absolutely MASSIVE in EU!! It's the perfect laptop for us Europoors!!
              Unfortunately, it's only available via wallmart in A-merica...

              No kidding, they would sell millions in Italy/Spain/Greece/Poland etc... 😢

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Cape View Post
                This would be absolutely MASSIVE in EU!! It's the perfect laptop for us Europoors!!
                what

                speaking of poors, it would sell very well in UK in a few quarters.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  what

                  speaking of poors, it would sell very well in UK in a few quarters.
                  I like how you clearly made a distinction between UK and EU
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 02-04-2020, 02:58 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Cape View Post
                    Hope to see you soon from the other side of the border as well!!
                    I'd rather not see you at the border thanks. We get enough fucking refugees already.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      It's been like that for years, but laptop manufacturers still crammed huge (1-2TB usually) internal hard drives in a craptop or trashbook as a way to attract customers.
                      When instead they should have pushed people to be rely on an external drive for their stuff as these laptops fail reliably in 3-4 years of use and most people don't have the basic skill (and know what a sata-usb adapter even is) to actually take out the drive out of the dead junk their laptop became to save their data.

                      That would have costed a pretty penny for this price range. Dual sockets are starting to be rarer in 800$ price range laptops too.
                      SSD get a nice performace bump, but at the cost of going back 15 years in terms of capacity (on entry level or mid-range laptops), Windows and office fuck-ton of updates, fill them faster than light...

                      Since optical drives are phased out, they could use the space to put a traditional drive in there in addition to the main SSD.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X