Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On A $199 AMD Ryzen Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Well, a PC with competent performance and no motors is like a holy grail for me. I've always frowned at the CPU fan ever since I first laid eyes on it back in the mid 90's. My old 386 didn't even need a heat sink.
    This is one of the reasons I’d like to see a competitive ARM based laptop, that is a silent and rugged device. Rugged means everything soldered in and the case designed to seal out the outside world.

As stated earlier I’ve not had good luck with laptops and frankly it doesn’t seem to matter how much you pay for them. So a laptop that has the goal of lasting for longer than a year or so is of great interest. Oh and battery replacement should be easy with off the shelf batteries. If the industry can’t deliver this I might as well buy the cheapest machine that can do the job.

Comment

How it's the average memory usage on both OSes? 4GB of RAM afaik are pretty limiting on Windows 10 since it uses a lot even on idle.

Can you try Clear Linux on it to see if it beats Ubuntu numbers? (unless it's an Intel-only distro).

Comment

Motile is a private-label brand from Walmart.
        A pity. I boycott Wal-Mart due to how they have treated their employees.

Oh well, guess I'm stuck with a VM on a laptop that can't boot anything Win10 from the hard drive unless I pass
        Code:
        acpi=off
        to the kernel.

Comment

Man, I really want one of these, but when I checked walmart, it says it's $279.00 They have that HP one, https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-14-Lap...ctedSellerId=0 for $250, and Amazon has an HP one for $245, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZ9H38Q..._t4_B07T396Z6M.

Dual channel ddr would be a must also. I'd pay $300-320 if it has dual channel ddr with 8gb, and a larger nvme drive. The M142 is showing $400 for me.

Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iITc_8IBPK0 says there is only one ram slot on the mobo. Unfortunately, there isn't a second RAM slot to run a dual-channel configuration. I've checked both sides of the mobo myself and the existing socket doesn't have provisions (no locking tabs or slot) to put a second stick in the opposite direction covering the M.2 SATA side despite what others have thought. Here's a pic of the opposite side of the RAM socket: https://i.imgur.com/C1QITgY.jpg

Comment

From everything I can find out about the HP laptop, it DOES have 2 ram slots, and PCIe nvme support. Hmm, I might have to get one of these... I can't find my old laptop anywhere in the house anyway.

Update: Bought the HP from Amazon for $245, no taxes, + $17 for crucial 4gb stick, interest free for 1 year financing.
            Last edited by skeetre; 01 February 2020, 05:14 PM. Reason: Update: Bought the HP

Comment

Do sleep and resume work properly under Linux on a laptop like this?

Comment

Originally posted by enigmaxg2 View Post
                How it's the average memory usage on both OSes? 4GB of RAM afaik are pretty limiting on Windows 10 since it uses a lot even on idle.

Can you try Clear Linux on it to see if it beats Ubuntu numbers? (unless it's an Intel-only distro).
                Clear Linux does work on AMD, and it's still faster than other distros https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-On-AMD-Ryzen

Comment

Originally posted by agriffis View Post
                  That's a very hard question to answer, as the 'sleep' and 'resume' capabilities are dependent on the particular distribution being used ON a particular laptop,, and not the laptop.
                  The airwaves are filled with bug reports to the 'forums' of most all major distributions regarding bugs of this nature, and requesting that the particular bug be fixed.
                  Think about it; there are no 'quick and dirty' answers to your question: you've either got to find a reviewer who is evaluating the distro you want on the laptop you want, AND who remembered to check the sleep and resume capability (play Lotto much?); or you've got to do it yourself--until you find one that works.
                  Happily, most distros--but not all; not even MAJOR ones--will support 'sleep' and 'resume'.

The only system statements, which can be made for certain, pertain to one particular distribution running on your computer.

Good question.
                  Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by agriffis View Post
                    I can't answer about that laptop since i don't have that one.
                    But i do think it works in general.
                    Both hibernate and suspend works with my Acer with Ryzen 2500U.
                    For hibernate i need an swap file or partition and set resume= and resume_offset= in grub after that it works with no problem.

Comment

This laptop is very very good for 200$.

Comment

Working...
                      X