Google Makes It Easier To Flash Android Open-Source Project On Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
    If it works on non-Google devices then I would highly doubt it. It looks like the bootloader must be unlocked which then should void the warranty in most to all cases as far as I know.
    There is 0 chance in hell that this is going to work with anything that isn't Google or a devboard, all manufactuers musth have their artificial differences.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Ummm... how so. AOSP is all opensource stuff that makes up Android core and telemetry apps are Gapps closed source stuff added on top in normal firmwares.
      I painted with a broad brush, yes the Gapps are where the telemetry mostly resides, but I don't imagine there are many folks who run AOSP without the Gapps. AOSP is effectively neutered * without Gapps unless you manually download the F-Droid APK or manually download from apkpure etc. Like I said, not sure why anyone would do this when LineageOS and /e/ and others offer a more polished and user friendly experience.

FWIW Vanilla AOSP does have lots of hooks into Google API's. AOSP checks a Google server to monitor network state, it hits Google for DNS, there are some other services too.

* from an Apps perspective, and what's the point of a Smartphone without apps?
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 28 January 2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        I don't think the AOSP / CentOS analogy holds. Maybe CyanogenOS and CyanogenMod?
        Care to explain?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          I painted with a broad brush, yes the Gapps are where the telemetry mostly resides, but I don't imagine there are many folks who run AOSP without the Gapps.
          Then what is the difference with stock firmware that has Gapps? You are not making much sense. On AOSP you have the choice.

AOSP is effectively neutered * without Gapps unless you manually download the F-Droid APK or manually download from apkpure etc. Like I said, not sure why anyone would do this when LineageOS and /e/ and others offer a more polished and user friendly experience.
          I'm not sure you understand what AOSP is. From most intents and purposes there is no real difference between AOSP and LineageOS (as most of their privacy features are now present in default Android), and neither has any form of app store built in.

I'm literally having more fine-grained permission control on a Nokia 4.2 with stock firmware (Android One aka Google actually makes and updates the firmware for this device, the hardware manufacturer is not involved) than on my older LineageOS phone.

FWIW Vanilla AOSP does have lots of hooks into Google API's. AOSP checks a Google server to monitor network state, it hits Google for DNS, there are some other services too.
          It's using ISP-provided DNS or the DNS provided by DHCP server, afaik it checks the network state by using a google server link only on wifi while it believes the modem status for 4G.

Comment

I used LineageOS and F-Droid for ~6 years (because Samsung did not want me to buy the next Flagship; Samsung never sent updates)

It would be nice if Google offerd AOSP for everything LineageOS supports OnePlus, Asus (they will email you an unlock if you ask), etc, maje ASOP support a condition of certification.

Comment

I can safely say with a fair degree of confidence that this Android flash tool will only work on Pixels.

Got a friend who loves messing with Android phones, and he told me that every different manufacturer using different SoCs have different eMMC partition layouts and bootloader settings. For example, Xiaomi phones have 5 (!) different partitions on the eMMC, of which only one is the main OS partition. I think old Samsung phones have 6 partitions?

In other words, the only way to play with AOSP on this browser-based tool is to get a Pixel. Not even a 'By Google' device from other manufacturers will work,because only Google will know how the partition layout on its own Pixel devices should be.

Comment

Highly doubtful. AOSP is to Android what CentOS is to RHEL.
                you've got it backwards. android is made from aosp, centos is made from rhel

Comment

it hits Google for DNS
                  i was hitting google for dns, so this seems about right. though now i'm hitting cloudflare because it is closer

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    I can safely say with a fair degree of confidence that this Android flash tool will only work on Pixels.

Got a friend who loves messing with Android phones, and he told me that every different manufacturer using different SoCs have different eMMC partition layouts and bootloader settings. For example, Xiaomi phones have 5 (!) different partitions on the eMMC, of which only one is the main OS partition. I think old Samsung phones have 6 partitions?
                    Technically speaking this is entirely possible, all Android phone bootloaders must be able to go in "Fastboot" mode which is a mode with standardized API for service and flashing as that's what they use for updates and manufacturing, even if this is not accessible for users. https://www.androidcentral.com/android-z-what-fastboot

dealing with different partition schemes is also not a major issue as with Project Treble (Android 8 and onwards), you only need to know where is the system partition, you don't need to reflash anything else than system partition.

Most partitions are for static stuff like modem firmware or IMEI code or bootloader or bootable recovery

Comment

ah come on, unapproved post for Sonadow above

Comment

Working...
                      X