X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plinkyplonky
    replied
    Originally posted by paupav View Post

I have read on reddit that all Ryzen laptops have problems on linux. So I don't think its ASUS specific. Lenovo and others have same problems.
    I have a Lenovo V155 AMD Ryzen 3500U laptop. I am using Ubuntu 18.04, the only issue I have noticed was that I had to install some drivers manually, but the main one I have is that when watching some videos, there is screen tearing. Other than that, it has been running fine. I did update the BIOS from Windows which made the laptop a bit faster.

Leave a comment:

• funtastic
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Laptop manufacturers should check for Linux compatibility exactly "why"?

Only officially supported OS by TUF-series is Windows, they come pre-installed with it - when you choose to be "one-percenter hippy" and install something else on it, you are on your own. In times past, with certain manufacturers it even voided warranty (incl. hardware warranty)

Just be glad you are not locked out from installing anything non-Windows on it. It's technically possible to implement.
    The same issue that GA502DU has, which does not come with an OS. They've released laptops with completely broken BIOS, there is no excuse.

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    Weird, I have the FX505DV with 3750H + RTX2060, and Linux seems to work fine, and I installed drivers from nVidia's website for Win10. Given that I have the latest with 2060, maybe the acpi was patched on Asus' end.

To answer the one's poster's question of "why gaming laptop": Yes I have a killer desktop game rig. But I'm on the road a lot too. It games in Win10, and compiles code decently fast in Linux (dual boot). I've got VirtualBox Linux too if I just need to take a peek at something in a Linux environment.

I am a little confused how my RTX2060 is working in Linux actually. I never installed the closed source nVidia driver.

What bugs me on this laptop is that there are no USB ports on the right side, so the wireless mouse glitches sometimes. It seems to work best in the port nearest me. If I plug it into the farthest port, then plug in a USB drive, the wireless mouse damn near stops working.
    Last edited by xorbe; 17 January 2020, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by eggbert View Post
    Gaming laptops are ridiculous. Never understood the appeal. Inferior gaming performance, flakey drivers, poor battery life, and searing heat. If you want to play video games, why not use a desktop computer? Your games will run better. Not to mention it's more affordable, more comfortable, and just an overall better experience.
    When your life itself is "mobile", like traveling a lot - you can game while away from home.
    Alternatives are either dragging PC along or going without gaming.

Btw, TUF seems to be budget brand. Get ROG.
    Last edited by aht0; 17 January 2020, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• funtastic
    replied
    I'm an owner of a GA502DU and it's true that there is an issue with heating/throttling, but this issue is not exclusive to Linux. This laptop is a mess, the exact same issue exists in Windows. I just don't know how this laptop was greenlit for release on its current status. You can search for the model, there are many owners suffering these issues and sharing workarounds that work to some degree.

It's really bad thermal dissipation plus the fans not working when they should (I think that is the silent mode the article talks about) plus a 1.4GHz or 400MHz throttling that the laptop is *unable* to get out of (well, rebooting does the trick), plus having the holes for the fan output that all the G15 series have *blocked* in this specific model, god knows why.
    Last edited by funtastic; 17 January 2020, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eggbert
    replied
    Gaming laptops are ridiculous. Never understood the appeal. Inferior gaming performance, flakey drivers, poor battery life, and searing heat. If you want to play video games, why not use a desktop computer? Your games will run better. Not to mention it's more affordable, more comfortable, and just an overall better experience.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by PLum View Post
    I have FX505DU model, and with this device the problem is even worst, the display here is nvidia card - but with some asus "hack" and on windows you can't use normal nvidia drivers (you must use the one that prepared asus "hacked one") but with linux its !#^!#$^$&$ because you cant make nvidia card work at all - and there are problems with screen resolution
    Sounds like I dodged a bullet by not getting this laptop...

I almost bought that laptop a little while back, but ended up going for another laptop for around the same price that had a 144Hz screen instead.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Unbelieveable that these days there are still manufacturers releasing laptops without checking for linux compatibility prior release and - even worse - not helping customers immediatly once first reports emerge. Asus decided not to care at all, instead they let their linux-using customers suffer for *months*.
    Laptop manufacturers should check for Linux compatibility exactly "why"?

Only officially supported OS by TUF-series is Windows, they come pre-installed with it - when you choose to be "one-percenter hippy" and install something else on it, you are on your own. In times past, with certain manufacturers it even voided warranty (incl. hardware warranty)

Just be glad you are not locked out from installing anything non-Windows on it. It's technically possible to implement.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    I hope Dell's Barton George can bring some Precision Renoirs into the Sputnik fold. Every amd implimentation has been utter crap thus far. The AIB parters are running the mobile asylum, and it's not working. And asking AMD to tighten the clamps like Intel is beyond the realm of possibility since they can't even get temps off the flagship cpu's.

I can appreciate AMD paying off their debt with net earnings, but their software QA is as jacked up as Intel's security. It makes you second guess threadripper and epyc chips when they haven't even bothered to boot linux on it, much less making sure the cpu doesn't burn up. Somebody, besides some random afflicted user, has to take responsibility for this horse shit.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    I have a asus fx505gd intel 8300h with nvidia 1050, since kernel 5.3 wverything is working well, with kernel 5.4 wifi is broken (intel problems) last version and last iwlwifi driver fix the issue but something is broken sound, looks like kernel 5.4 have a lot of problems and most of them are present with 5.5
    Last edited by andre30correia; 17 January 2020, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X