X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horizonbrave
    replied
    Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Sounds like I dodged a bullet by not getting this laptop...

I almost bought that laptop a little while back, but ended up going for another laptop for around the same price that had a 144Hz screen instead.
    Please what did you buy?
    And how's working?

Leave a comment:

• Spacefish
    replied
    i get the 4700U based ASUS laptop in two weeks. Hope it works . Overheating is hopefully not an issue, if the fans work. 15W TDP is not that much and it doesn´t have an dGPU

Leave a comment:

• OliVDB5590
    replied
    That's a pretty great thing to hear! I was getting cold feet about switching to Linux as I recently got a great deal on a TUF laptop and heard about them overheating, but I'm now in the green and will try to see what I can do. Thanks for telling about that, I'd have completely missed the news otherwise!

Leave a comment:

• ab995
    replied
    I am the owner of a FX505DT and I just built 5.6 from Linus' master branch and gave it a try. Some change in moving from kernel 5.5 to 5.6 has messed with laptop power management. On 5.6 it is burning through 10% battery in 13 minutes. In comparison, I just reloaded my arch distro kernel 5.5.13-arch2-1, and am getting 10% battery reduction in 26 minutes, twice the battery performance of 5.6.

Leave a comment:

• mick3
    replied
    Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    Microsoft does not seem to include RAID drivers for any manufacturer. I am not sure why. I'm not certain that's the problem with your TufBook but I have a Razer laptop that needed the Intel RAID drivers to reinstall Windows because the BIOS is configured for RAID.
    They only need to include a generic NVMe + SATA driver to continue the installation, no special RAID driver should be needed for the laptop.

In the article AMD mentions that Microsoft changed the IOCTL requirements for drivers in version 1903 so older installer may still work.

Also thanks for the BIOS configuration hint but there's no option to change anything regarding NVMe/SATA and no RAID option.

Windows 10 1809 will be my last try.

Leave a comment:

• mick3
    replied
    Originally posted by mick3 View Post

Thanks, I will try this out. But I really want to know why Microsoft couldn't incorporate this into most recent ISO image download as this is essential for a Windows 10 installation on a Ryzen PC!? Some useful error message would also been helpful.

I must say Ubuntu (or better the Linux kernel developers) did their homework, Microsoft didn't. So much for the better windows hardware suDevicepport...
    Ok, I downloaded the AMD RAID Driver (SATA, NVMe RAID) from https://www.amd.com/en/support/chips...ocket-tr4/x399 as linked in the PA-260 article and gave it a try.

The "AMD-RAID Bottom Device" is shown (and some more if I uncheck the compatibility checkbox) when I select the folder on the usb stick but no fitting drivers are found.

There is no support for Ryzen mobile CPUs / chipsets mentioned in the driver details description. For now I stop here.

If someone tells you Windows 10 installation is a piece of cake compared to Linux please send him/her to me (with the cake)...
    Last edited by mick3; 22 March 2020, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Microsoft does not seem to include RAID drivers for any manufacturer. I am not sure why. I'm not certain that's the problem with your TufBook but I have a Razer laptop that needed the Intel RAID drivers to reinstall Windows because the BIOS is configured for RAID.

Leave a comment:

• mick3
    replied
    Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    Thanks, I will try this out. But I really want to know why Microsoft couldn't incorporate this into most recent ISO image download as this is essential for a Windows 10 installation on a Ryzen PC!? Some useful error message would also been helpful.

I must say Ubuntu (or better the Linux kernel developers) did their homework, Microsoft didn't. So much for the better windows hardware support...
    Last edited by mick3; 22 March 2020, 05:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by mick3 View Post
    I downloaded the latest Win10 ISO image, tried a few USB sticks as it was not instantly working with the first and then I reached the Win10 setup screen. There the installer complained about a missing media/usb/block device driver (maybe the builtin NVMe SSD, but I did put in an additional SATA SSD) and I became stuck. On the Asus driver download web page for the model I couldn't find any related Win10 driver for this.
    Probably this problem:

Leave a comment:

• mick3
    replied
    Guys, I need to tell you a success story about one of those Laptop models and Linux.

Originally I bought the ASUS TUF FX505DY without any OS as I already have plenty of rarely used Windows 10 product keys and I wanted to transfer one of them from my old laptop with a dead screen. I also thought about dual boot until Linux support would be in good shape.

I downloaded the latest Win10 ISO image, tried a few USB sticks as it was not instantly working with the first and then I reached the Win10 setup screen. There the installer complained about a missing media/usb/block device driver (maybe the builtin NVMe SSD, but I did put in an additional SATA SSD) and I became stuck. On the Asus driver download web page for the model I couldn't find any related Win10 driver for this.

So actually I gave up on Windows 10 and installed Ubuntu 18.04.4, Linux kernel 5.3 without any hassle. The iGPU graphics was working without any problems and also the nvidia driver from the Ubuntu repos got installed flawlessly.

The only thing what gave me some headache was switching to the dGPU. I even tried the latest nvidia installer (what hack of install) but it seems that nvidia and prime is a topic for Linux graphics experts (Does nvidia still not do Wayland?). At the end I got the configuration for the discrete card working in X but still no switching. When I manage to get it work I may post some tips here.

I also left some space on disk to give Windows 10 a last chance using some older version (which you stupidly can't download anymore as soon the newer one ist out) but for me it's clear that Linux is now far better when you have to install a PC from scratch even there are still rough edges with the latest hardware and this incredible ignorance on the side of the oem laptop makers (yes, Lenovo, I mean you).

Cheers, M.
    Last edited by mick3; 22 March 2020, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X