ASUS TUF Laptops With Ryzen Are Now Patched To Stop Overheating On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS TUF Laptops With Ryzen Are Now Patched To Stop Overheating On Linux

Phoronix: ASUS TUF Laptops With Ryzen Are Now Patched To Stop Overheating On Linux

The AMD Ryzen Linux laptop experience continues improving albeit quite tardy on some elements of the support. In addition to the AMD Sensor Fusion Hub driver finally being released and current/voltage reporting for Zen CPUs on Linux, another step forward in Ryzen mobile support is a fix for ASUS TUF laptops with these processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unbelieveable that these days there are still manufacturers releasing laptops without checking for linux compatibility prior release and - even worse - not helping customers immediatly once first reports emerge. Asus decided not to care at all, instead they let their linux-using customers suffer for *months*.

Actually I was thinking about buying a Zenbook as soon as Ryzen-4000 powered models would appear, however I am actually reconsidering now.

Comment

GL702ZC also had this issue.

Comment

I have FX505DU model, and with this device the problem is even worst, the display here is nvidia card - but with some asus "hack" and on windows you can't use normal nvidia drivers (you must use the one that prepared asus "hacked one") but with linux its !#^!#$^$&$ because you cant make nvidia card work at all - and there are problems with screen resolution

Comment

Someone told me laptop makers use this "silent" policy on boot to avoid the problem of the fans coming on maximum. Once the OS takes control it no longer matters. The problem here was Linux not taking control.

On servers and workstations the boot noise problem is pretty bad. It's amazing how loud a workstation can become with every cooling fan on max. Even running an all-core full boost compiling session doesn't run the fans as loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            Unbelieveable that these days there are still manufacturers releasing laptops without checking for linux compatibility prior release and - even worse - not helping customers immediatly once first reports emerge. Asus decided not to care at all, instead they let their linux-using customers suffer for *months*.

Actually I was thinking about buying a Zenbook as soon as Ryzen-4000 powered models would appear, however I am actually reconsidering now.
            I have read on reddit that all Ryzen laptops have problems on linux. So I don't think its ASUS specific. Lenovo and others have same problems.

Comment

Well I Own FX505DT and I Have Screen Flicker Issues On Linux

Comment

I have a asus fx505gd intel 8300h with nvidia 1050, since kernel 5.3 wverything is working well, with kernel 5.4 wifi is broken (intel problems) last version and last iwlwifi driver fix the issue but something is broken sound, looks like kernel 5.4 have a lot of problems and most of them are present with 5.5
                Last edited by andre30correia; 17 January 2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I hope Dell's Barton George can bring some Precision Renoirs into the Sputnik fold. Every amd implimentation has been utter crap thus far. The AIB parters are running the mobile asylum, and it's not working. And asking AMD to tighten the clamps like Intel is beyond the realm of possibility since they can't even get temps off the flagship cpu's.

I can appreciate AMD paying off their debt with net earnings, but their software QA is as jacked up as Intel's security. It makes you second guess threadripper and epyc chips when they haven't even bothered to boot linux on it, much less making sure the cpu doesn't burn up. Somebody, besides some random afflicted user, has to take responsibility for this horse shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                    Laptop manufacturers should check for Linux compatibility exactly "why"?

Only officially supported OS by TUF-series is Windows, they come pre-installed with it - when you choose to be "one-percenter hippy" and install something else on it, you are on your own. In times past, with certain manufacturers it even voided warranty (incl. hardware warranty)

Just be glad you are not locked out from installing anything non-Windows on it. It's technically possible to implement.

Comment

Working...
                    X