Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Ryzen, no party!

Comment

Three external displays using what ports?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I was about to say, having used Kubuntu for over 10 years, I can safely say not only doesn't it offer the most polished KDE experiences, but it offers possibly one of the worst ones. If nothing else, it constantly pairs KDE with outdated, buggy Qt versions.
        Granted, KDE has been doing better and better lately, so Qt being a couple of versions old may not be as bad as it used to be, but the best KDE experience is still OpenSuse or some rolling distro (depending on your needs).
        I agree, yesterday after reading the article, I installed in a free partition Kubuntu 18.04, I then installed the applications that I normally use (almost all QT applications), at some point everything became unusable, I had to press the key to force shutdown, not even ctrl + alt + stamp + reisub worked. No proprietary driver, AMD graphics and this occurred 3 times, in 3 years of openSUSE it had never happened to me, some crash happened when I changed some settings, but never the pc completely blocked. I then installed KDE Neon and had the exact same problem. I also noticed that Baloo broke often, while in Tumbleweed it happened to me only once in three years, due to a file with strange characters.
        This is just my experience, which certainly isn't the norm, at least I hope so, however it still makes me prefer openSUSE to Kubuntu or Neon. But I have to admit that Kubuntu and KDE Neon is slightly faster on startup, but for me this is not a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I agree, yesterday after reading the article, I installed in a free partition Kubuntu 18.04, I then installed the applications that I normally use (almost all QT applications), at some point everything became unusable, I had to press the key to force shutdown, not even ctrl + alt + stamp + reisub worked. No proprietary driver, AMD graphics and this occurred 3 times, in 3 years of openSUSE it had never happened to me, some crash happened when I changed some settings, but never the pc completely blocked. I then installed KDE Neon and had the exact same problem. I also noticed that Baloo broke often, while in Tumbleweed it happened to me only once in three years, due to a file with strange characters.
          This is just my experience, which certainly isn't the norm, at least I hope so, however it still makes me prefer openSUSE to Kubuntu or Neon. But I have to admit that Kubuntu and KDE Neon is slightly faster on startup, but for me this is not a priority.
          Stock KDE runs like a dream on MX19 across multiple hardware setups, kernels, etc. I don't know why other Debian-derived distros have such a problem with the KDE desktop, but you are right, they do.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            Three external displays using what ports?
            Three 4k external monitors over HDMI, mDP, and USB C. See the specs on http://kfocus.org.

Comment

And here I'm using Kubuntu, flawlessly, with desktop search disabled, Intel hardware, and the updates applied (of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                And here I'm using Kubuntu, flawlessly, with desktop search disabled, Intel hardware, and the updates applied (of course).
                Did not have to turn off desktop search with MX19. Not sure what the difference is that's causing trouble with Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Did not have to turn off desktop search with MX19. Not sure what the difference is that's causing trouble with Kubuntu.
                  Mmm... I don't use desktop search, therefore it saves resources. Running smoothly here. One key can be to try one distribution, like Kubuntu, but after applying all the updates.

Comment

I've found an article "Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver upgrades - Results!" (https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...r-upgrade.html) that I read time ago:
                    "A month later, two upgrades later, Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver is a nicer distribution than what I tested shortly after its official release. [...] Something like 9/10."

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                      I've found an article "Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver upgrades - Results!" (https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...r-upgrade.html) that I read time ago:
                      "A month later, two upgrades later, Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver is a nicer distribution than what I tested shortly after its official release. [...] Something like 9/10."
                      KDE certainly has been putting out a fantastic desktop experience lately. I've told others, this is better than anything I've seen from any proprietary software vendor.

Comment

Working...
                      X