The Pine64 PineTab Could Soon Be Running Nicely Off The Mainline Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pine64 PineTab Could Soon Be Running Nicely Off The Mainline Kernel

Phoronix: The Pine64 PineTab Could Soon Be Running Nicely Off The Mainline Kernel

One of the many devices being pursued by the PINE64 crew is the PineTab open-source ARM 64-bit tablet. Thanks to being another Allwinner A64 product and not using any too bleeding edge tech, the PineTab has patches available to get it running off a mainline Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Kernel-Patches

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    I have one of the first batches that still had the bonus 128G eMMC upgrade.
    I'm running Manjaro ARM KDE - it uses a mainline kernel (5.5 in the current upgrade) and a preview of Mesa 20.
    It basically works, including connecting my USB-C dock with HDMI-out.

For the big question about Panforst: It works, I get display and 3D working.

The tiny caveat for now...
    Good good. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DrYak
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    Any word on the state of the PINEBOOK they're shipping in February as far as mainline and panfrost are concerned?
    I have one of the first batches that still had the bonus 128G eMMC upgrade.
    I'm running Manjaro ARM KDE - it uses a mainline kernel (5.5 in the current upgrade) and a preview of Mesa 20.
    It basically works, including connecting my USB-C dock with HDMI-out.

For the big question about Panforst: It works, I get display and 3D working.

The tiny caveat for now:
    - Suspend: only suspend to idle is currently working reliably. (Though given the ARM SoC that already gives some long running time).
    - Google hasn't released a Aarch64 version of Widevine as of yet. So Netflix works with the stock Debian 32bit, not with 64bits OS such as my Manjaro.
    - Panfrost currently has a better OpenGL ES than OpenGL. On the other hand, the Manjaro ARM team has released a GL ES version of Qt so, it's okay.
    - Video hardware decoder (Hantro G1) uses weird V4L2 'Request' API - similar to some other ARM SoCs. FFMpeg has been modified to be able to use it, but VLC and Firefox are CPU only for now. (There is a libVA backend that can work atop v4l2 request, but it hasn't been polished for Pinebook + Manjaro yet).
    - The mainline kernel needs some polishing with regards to audio routing (jack and speaker are either both on or off. No jack-only yet). Stock Debian (which uses instead official Rockchip kernel) works as expected.
    - Speaking about audio, the built-in speakers' wiring tend to pick up a lot of electric noise (it's a hardware design issue, not a kernel issue)
    - For some reason, video and audio chat (webRTC) in the Firefox distributed with Manjaro don't work ?!? (Note: It's a Manjaro bug, not a Pinebook Bug. Webcam and microphone actually work (e.g.: in VLC) Firefox is just unable to access them for unknown reasons).

The big plus:
    - Using mainline kernel (panfrost, etc.) it's already a good enough machine for doing presentations and watching video (though VLC is software) - it fits the specific use cases I aquired it for.
    - The community is great and you can find answers quickly.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by (tpm) View Post

Not sure what you're going on about. I ordered a Pinebook PRO (the successor model) from them on 23 Dec (next shipping date was "end of December" at that point) and received it on 30 Dec. As have loads of other people, just check Twitter. It's a fantastic little machine for the price.
    Why don't you just call it like it is, as you should when dealing with any moron / idiot who makes up his own facts...and then expects you to accept them because of his superior intelligence.

All you really had to say was, "Not sure what you're on..."

"I am not one of those who, in expressing opinions, confine themselves to facts."--Mark Twain

Leave a comment:

• (tpm)
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Discontinued? It never started!

Whilst I am not suggesting that they are scamming people. I am suggesting that their PineTab will be fantasy vapour-ware, just like their PineBook. This is of course a shame. In 2020, non-x86 open hardware remains in absolute shambles.
    Not sure what you're going on about. I ordered a Pinebook PRO (the successor model) from them on 23 Dec (next shipping date was "end of December" at that point) and received it on 30 Dec. As have loads of other people, just check Twitter. It's a fantastic little machine for the price.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

You're making a bad assumption, the original PINEBOOK is discontinued but for some reason the store page is still around. They're shipping other products so evidently they're not just scamming people.
    Discontinued? It never started!

Whilst I am not suggesting that they are scamming people. I am suggesting that their PineTab will be fantasy vapour-ware, just like their PineBook. This is of course a shame. In 2020, non-x86 open hardware remains in absolute shambles.

Leave a comment:

• Djhg2000
    replied

https://store.pine64.org/?product=11-6-pinebook

"Out of stock"

Has been in this state since the pinebook was released (and until the death of the known universe).

... so what the heck are you on about?
    You're making a bad assumption, the original PINEBOOK is discontinued but for some reason the store page is still around. They're shipping other products so evidently they're not just scamming people.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    to which "the lie can be put" by doing a simple internet search. NOTHING MORE: a SIMPLE internet search
    https://store.pine64.org/?product=11-6-pinebook

"Out of stock"

Has been in this state since the pinebook was released (and until the death of the known universe).

... so what the heck are you on about?
    Last edited by kpedersen; 01-12-2020, 06:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied

It is safe to say that it will be impossible to purchase a pinebook from them in Feb (or any other month for that matter). They don't actually manufacture these things for people to buy. They just make websites and fake "buy to order" shopping carts
    Your website won't be killed off by people not buying Premium Memberships, nor by people not turning off their ad-blockers.
    It will be killed off by allowing mouth-breathing clowns like this--who obviously have an irrational, pathological axe to grind--to make self-serving posts to which "the lie can be put" by doing a simple internet search. NOTHING MORE: a SIMPLE internet search, which is all this individual has to do. But it's far more fun for him to do a "...look at me. See how smart I am..." type of post.
    People who want good, objective, honest comments will simply stop reading your otherwise excellent (except for brain-dead material like this) offering.

Remember the glowing report given you by Dedoimedo, and his including you in his list of "...Greatest Websites..."? He absolutely hates "Readers' Comments" sections (you will note that he does not have one) precisely because of posts like this somehow or other appearing therein, despite the best efforts of the owner. Perhaps he needs to re-visit his assessment, based on this ill-informed post, and quite a few other similar ones which are, unfortunately, starting to become the "new normal" for Phoronix...
    Last edited by danmcgrew; 01-13-2020, 11:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    Any word on the state of the PINEBOOK they're shipping in February as far as mainline and panfrost are concerned?
    It is safe to say that it will be impossible to purchase a pinebook from them in Feb (or any other month for that matter). They don't actually manufacture these things for people to buy. They just make websites and fake "buy to order" shopping carts

Leave a comment:

Working...
X