The Pine64 PineTab Could Soon Be Running Nicely Off The Mainline Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by (tpm) View Post

Not sure what you're going on about. I ordered a Pinebook PRO (the successor model) from them on 23 Dec (next shipping date was "end of December" at that point) and received it on 30 Dec. As have loads of other people, just check Twitter. It's a fantastic little machine for the price.
    Why don't you just call it like it is, as you should when dealing with any moron / idiot who makes up his own facts...and then expects you to accept them because of his superior intelligence.

All you really had to say was, "Not sure what you're on..."

"I am not one of those who, in expressing opinions, confine themselves to facts."--Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      Any word on the state of the PINEBOOK they're shipping in February as far as mainline and panfrost are concerned?
      I have one of the first batches that still had the bonus 128G eMMC upgrade.
      I'm running Manjaro ARM KDE - it uses a mainline kernel (5.5 in the current upgrade) and a preview of Mesa 20.
      It basically works, including connecting my USB-C dock with HDMI-out.

For the big question about Panforst: It works, I get display and 3D working.

The tiny caveat for now:
      - Suspend: only suspend to idle is currently working reliably. (Though given the ARM SoC that already gives some long running time).
      - Google hasn't released a Aarch64 version of Widevine as of yet. So Netflix works with the stock Debian 32bit, not with 64bits OS such as my Manjaro.
      - Panfrost currently has a better OpenGL ES than OpenGL. On the other hand, the Manjaro ARM team has released a GL ES version of Qt so, it's okay.
      - Video hardware decoder (Hantro G1) uses weird V4L2 'Request' API - similar to some other ARM SoCs. FFMpeg has been modified to be able to use it, but VLC and Firefox are CPU only for now. (There is a libVA backend that can work atop v4l2 request, but it hasn't been polished for Pinebook + Manjaro yet).
      - The mainline kernel needs some polishing with regards to audio routing (jack and speaker are either both on or off. No jack-only yet). Stock Debian (which uses instead official Rockchip kernel) works as expected.
      - Speaking about audio, the built-in speakers' wiring tend to pick up a lot of electric noise (it's a hardware design issue, not a kernel issue)
      - For some reason, video and audio chat (webRTC) in the Firefox distributed with Manjaro don't work ?!? (Note: It's a Manjaro bug, not a Pinebook Bug. Webcam and microphone actually work (e.g.: in VLC) Firefox is just unable to access them for unknown reasons).

The big plus:
      - Using mainline kernel (panfrost, etc.) it's already a good enough machine for doing presentations and watching video (though VLC is software) - it fits the specific use cases I aquired it for.
      - The community is great and you can find answers quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
        I have one of the first batches that still had the bonus 128G eMMC upgrade.
        I'm running Manjaro ARM KDE - it uses a mainline kernel (5.5 in the current upgrade) and a preview of Mesa 20.
        It basically works, including connecting my USB-C dock with HDMI-out.

For the big question about Panforst: It works, I get display and 3D working.

The tiny caveat for now...
        Good good. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X