Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWrt 19.07 Released With WPA3 Support, Ath79 Target

Phoronix: OpenWrt 19.07 Released With WPA3 Support, Ath79 Target

The long awaited release of OpenWrt 19.07 took place this week for this Linux distribution popular for embedded, primarily networking devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A small note: ath79 is the future. ar71xx will remain until the next release when everything gets ported.

uClibc-ng is also not used except for the ARC target, which is only available with dev boards.

WPA3 does not work with wpad-wolfssl but does with wpad-openssl AFAIK.

Comment

Just updated 4 routers to the new release. I use stubby for DNS over https, hope to get this out of the box in the future, it is always some effort to manually upgrade this.

Is there some real benefit in using WPA3 instead of WPA2? Didn't try it so far...

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
        A small note: ath79 is the future. ar71xx will remain until the next release when everything gets ported.
        What does this mean exactly?

Comment

Kudos for the openwrt people.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            Just updated 4 routers to the new release. I use stubby for DNS over https, hope to get this out of the box in the future, it is always some effort to manually upgrade this.

Is there some real benefit in using WPA3 instead of WPA2? Didn't try it so far...
            Right now, WPA3 is useful for backend, like 802.11s mesh encryption, for example. It just works.

Is there any actual benefit in using stubby for DoH instead of https_dns_proxy? I've tried stubby before for DoT, and the latency was unbearable.

Comment

openwrt is nice and their use of only foss drivers is great approach too, but for home router I prefer broadcom chipset and their propiretery .o blob files that come bundled with dd-wrt, great performance, great reliability, WiFi is great, it just works. Openwrt or pfsense doesn't come close, but they have their own uses.

Comment

Finally, an official release. I have switched to ath79 many months ago by compiling my own versions from master... which I will continue.
                Has the great benefit of me being able to just compile the latest version with the software and configuration specific for my devices without having to reinstall/reconfigure anything after an update.

Comment

Originally posted by Seketh View Post

Right now, WPA3 is useful for backend, like 802.11s mesh encryption, for example. It just works.

Is there any actual benefit in using stubby for DoH instead of https_dns_proxy? I've tried stubby before for DoT, and the latency was unbearable.
                  Well, I guess I didn't notice a real latency issue with stubby because I've used before the normal one of my cable provider, which was not the best either. Stubby provides DNSSEC in my config and it worked quite well so far, but I'm not able to compare this to other solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    What does this mean exactly?
                    ar71xx is an OpenWrt platform based on Mach files and is completely unsuitable for the mainline kernel. ath79 is DTS based, and is currently being upstreamed.

Comment

Working...
                    X