Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Finally Rolls Out XPS 13 Developer Edition With Ice Lake, Fingerprint Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I wonder if Dell going to stop treat Linux community like this: https://www.dell.com/community/Latit...e/td-p/6125388

They not only have Linux-specific issues on Dell Latitude 7285, they also managed somehow bring exactly same keyboard issue to Dell XPS 9250 with BIOS update! And be assured - they are not going to fix it. Somehow HP and Lenovo avoid such fuckups.
    That is an interesting thread but I have to wonder why Linux would be relying upon BIOS behavior in this case. Generally I think of a keyboard controller as a separate device that the kernel talks to. Unless of course Dells BIOS updates also update the keyboard controller.

The total lack of a care factor though is just another black mark that would have me looking for another laptop supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Unless of course Dells BIOS updates also update the keyboard controller.
      All three major vendors update different controllers and BIOS during firmware upgrade procedure. Last time I seen keyboard controller update on HP Elite x2 1013 G3 couple of months ago, it's part up firmware upgrade on Dell 7285 and 9250 too. However, in case of Dell Latitude 7285 described issue is present in all available firmwares, including "factory" firmware.

Comment

Damn, the 16:10 is just what I ever wanted in a new XPS. I recently bought the previous model, XPS 13 7390, which just came out in August! Never expected a new model so soon.

However, what I really dislike about the new one is that they omitted one of the USB ports. Why?!

Comment

My dell e7440 had the weird keyboard bounce problem and it was resolved over two bios updates. The first stopped the bounce/repeat problem and introduced another minor bug, I forget what, and that was fixed in the next.

Comment

what Apple offers that others seemingly can’t match, is a great track pad! Even under Linux the Tracy pads on Apples laptops are pretty good. Why the rest of the world has so much trouble doing trackpads right is beyond me.
            Any midsize multitouch trackpad is good enough hardware-wise (in the sense of sensitivity), the issue is that most applications don't have any gesture while on APple this is much more integral to the application design.
            So it's more of a software problem.

Comment

That is an interesting thread but I have to wonder why Linux would be relying upon BIOS behavior in this case. Generally I think of a keyboard controller as a separate device that the kernel talks to.
              the keyboard in any laptop is controlled by the EC (Embedded controller) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_controller which due to the large amount of functions it oversees needs a firmware that can and will be updated most of the times you update the UEFI.

Comment

This looks like an amazing laptop. I love the new screen and the 16:10 aspect ratio. I just wish it had support for Coreboot, Libreboot, LinuxBoot, TianoCore or some kind of open source firmware.

Really nice that it have the new Ice Lake (which is a new architecture), and not the shitty old Coffee Lake which is a old, rebranded Skylake.

It's nice that Dell supports fwupd.

Comment

So this vs system76 are the only 2 10th gen linux laptops available?

Comment

Cool, I literally can't do my job in 16GB of RAM, so the 32 option actually brings me closer to being able to work on a laptop.

Comment

Dell.... no thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X