Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Finally Rolls Out XPS 13 Developer Edition With Ice Lake, Fingerprint Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Finally Rolls Out XPS 13 Developer Edition With Ice Lake, Fingerprint Reader

Phoronix: Dell Finally Rolls Out XPS 13 Developer Edition With Ice Lake, Fingerprint Reader

Up to now the most recent Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition laptop with Ubuntu Linux has been using Comet Lake processors while now the 10th Generation XPS 13 Developer Edition has been announced with Ice Lake processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

unfortunately most importantly as a developer I get frustrated with this arrow key placement, ..! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXNGVVeFJY will never buy a keyboard layout like this again.

Comment

I wonder what fingerprint reader they are using?
      I have an XPS15 which has a Goodix reader and there's no linux driver :-(

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        unfortunately most importantly as a developer I get frustrated with this arrow key placement, ..! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXNGVVeFJY will never buy a keyboard layout like this again.
        I moved from a Dell E7440 to an XPS15. I really I miss the keyboard and the mouse buttons. I actually prefer the keyboard on my PinebookPro over the XPS15 for the feel of it, but the e7440 is the best.

Before the e7440 I had a Dell e6420, and that was even better.

flat lifeless cramped keyboards have been made compulsory because Apple set the trend.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post

I moved from a Dell E7440 to an XPS15. I really I miss the keyboard and the mouse buttons. I actually prefer the keyboard on my PinebookPro over the XPS15 for the feel of it, but the e7440 is the best.

flat lifeless cramped keyboards have been made compulsory because Apple set the trend.
          My main problem is simply with the arrow cluster layout. The not looking, fast way I type, I constantly keep pressing the page-up/-down buttons on top of the left and right arrow keys. And honestly, I really do not want to train myself like a lab monkey for this keys, especially as ALL my other keyboards I have on all other devices do not exhibit this problem. At least the ThinkPad's have some distance and different side angle to not accidentally press them like this Chiclet islands, ...

Comment

Does the new device actually have a working driver for its fingerprint sensor, or do they just mean that it ships with the sensor hardware but no actual support?

Comment

I don't consider a fingerprint sensor a feature...

Comment

Pricing starts at $1,199 USD for the Core i5 Developer Edition with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD and 1080p display and goes up from there.
                Is this a joke? $1199 for a small SSD and 1080p? My 2-year old $750 Asus blows the doors off those specs. I could walk into Costco right now and find 10 different laptops with much better specs for a lower price. What's the value here?

Comment

I wonder if Dell going to stop treat Linux community like this: https://www.dell.com/community/Latit...e/td-p/6125388

They not only have Linux-specific issues on Dell Latitude 7285, they also managed somehow bring exactly same keyboard issue to Dell XPS 9250 with BIOS update! And be assured - they are not going to fix it. Somehow HP and Lenovo avoid such fuckups.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post

I’m not sure Apple started this trend to crappy keyboards however I can agree that most keyboard have moved to the point of being highly unusable. Actually my biggest problem comes from large hands that really suffer on cramped keyboard, that is followed closely by the total lack of feel. The. You have the stupidity of Microsoft or somebody deciding that a small section of the track pad should produce a different set of clicks.

what really sucks here is that often much cheaper hardware will offer up better keyboards. I’m not sure when the idea of a shitty keyboard became a premium feature. I’m running a rather cheap HP right now and even though I wouldn’t buy an HP agAin, the keyboard is actually far better than a 13” MBP or some other high end machines.

what Apple offers that others seemingly can’t match, is a great track pad! Even under Linux the Tracy pads on Apples laptops are pretty good. Why the rest of the world has so much trouble doing trackpads right is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                    X