No announcement yet.

Jolla Making Plans For Sailfish OS In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically the only thing Sailfish needs at the moment is a proper browser, preferably a native Firefox port.

Other than that is an awesome OS.

Comment

How about finally open sourcing the UI?

+1 for the recent Firefox port.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Upgrading from my Xperia X to newer hardware was the best decision i made, it was a bigger difference than i expected..
        Is there anything more recent that Xperia XA2 that works with it?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Is there anything more recent that Xperia XA2 that works with it?
          There is Xperia XA2, XA2 plus and XA2 ultra.
          There is also Xperia 10 and 10 plus

I'm still on Xperia XA2 plus but it's much better in every way than my old Xperia X and XA2 has much better battery uptime, not that Xperia X battery time was bad.
          The Xperia 10 has data encryption enabled by default and the camera is better at taking picture in the dark, that's what users upgrading to Xperia 10 from XA2 will notice as a difference.
          I was about to upgrade to Xperia 10 at black friday but the store that had good deal had added some artificial queue-system that made me go screw it.

Comment

The UI is qml and afai understand you can see the code. People read it and modify it. Hence we have patches that adapt it to peoples needs. If you want more than this go suck on RMS to make you an emacs version that can also make phonecalls and run on some open archaic chipset that is slower than a nokia 3310.

BTW
            If you need higher end HW the xz (tama) series can run it (community port with whatever this implies).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

If you need higher end HW the xz (tama) series can run it (community port with whatever this implies).
              The most important implication of community ports is the lack of Aliendalvik for Android app compatibility. Predictive text is missing too, as is MS Exchange support.

If your preferred device does not already have a community port, It's not terribly difficult to port it yourself as long as it is decently supported by LineageOS. The folks in #sailfishos-porters on freenode are usually quite helpful if you get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

The UI is qml and afai understand you can see the code. People read it and modify it.
                Not legally - you can't redistribute it. FOSS means FOSS, no point to try to change the meaning of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nrde View Post

Install Sailfish to Planet computer Cosmo then https://store.planetcom.co.uk/produc...o-communicator Although lots of power is subjective
                  Or just buy a F(x)tec PRO1

Comment

Go ask Mozilla for a proper embedded Gecko API.
                    Mozilla isn't interested in investing into Linux really, they rather make 3rd Android specific Browser/Embedded API.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                      Go ask Mozilla for a proper embedded Gecko API.
                      Don't they already make that with Servo?
                      Last edited by shmerl; 01 January 2020, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X