Sailfish OS Nuuksio Adds VP9 + HEVC Hardware Video Decode, Android App Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I agree, but uid313 never likes to changes defaults (themes/settings/etc.) on any OS/DE, so the defaults should be good enough for him.
    The screenshots don't show the default theme AFAIK.

Comment

I wish there was better documentation of the various phone stacks, what the various pieces are, etc. Maybe I'm just unable to find the obvious. On that note, I will continue to "milk" my iPhone running iOS until there are some really compelling free options. I will never run Android. Whatever you think of Apple, I at least trust them more in regards to privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        I wish there was better documentation of the various phone stacks, what the various pieces are, etc. Maybe I'm just unable to find the obvious. On that note, I will continue to "milk" my iPhone running iOS until there are some really compelling free options. I will never run Android. Whatever you think of Apple, I at least trust them more in regards to privacy.
        Sailfish OS runs a Android Linux kernel, Bionic and drivers with libhybris enabling GNU C library and standard GNU stack as base for Qt and Mer Core with the proprietary Sailfish Silica GUI on top - Jolla wants to open the whole stack but the share holders will not allow this while they aren't profitable. How much of this I wrongly remember is to be corrected by a more knowledgeable poster

Any way, the update went smooth and today I discovered that I can user the flashlight without unlocking the phone - which is nice. If only there was a reboot of the Nokia n900 to go with this OS

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
          I ... I will continue to "milk" my iPhone running iOS until there are some really compelling free options.....
          In Tims ecosystem you are not milking your iPhone - the iPhone is milking you

Comment

Just my 2 cents on the Jolla UI:
            I was forced to use Android between the death of my Jolla Phone and the release of Sailfish X for the Xperia XA2, and god, Android is unusable compared to Sailfish OS.
            Where you need a single swipe on Sailfish, you need to open 5 sub-menus, press 10 buttons, and type a whole essay in Aramaic on Android. I'm really glad that suffering lasted only 2 months...
            (the previous paragraph might be slightly exaggerated)

Sorry, but judging a whole UI/UX from a single screenshot can never do it justice. However, for testing the UI, you can just grab the free version (meaning: no Microsoft Exchange, and no Android Runtime) of Sailfish X and run it on any compatible device. It takes a couple of hours to get used to, but once one knows which swipe does what, Sailfish is really convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
              If only there was a reboot of the Nokia n900 to go with this OS
              Like the F(x)tec PRO¹ but, with official SailfishOS support.
              London smartphone brand F(x)tec is home to the horizontal, QWERTY keyboard smartphone. Creating premium and functional products, Intelligently designed to enhance user experience, improve productivity and help users achieve more from their technology.
              Last edited by Nille_kungen; 22 December 2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

If you look at my past posts you can confirm that I'm no Jolla fan. But one thing that bothers me on this thread is the "UI is terrible" thing. While in some cases the readability really is bad due to the "show the theme background" paradigm, the Sailfish OS UI is the best I've ever worked with.

Android is and always was absolutely terribad. Apple is even worse with their individual back buttons and other shait. Sailfish UI is simply "fluid", and once you get used to it a bit going back feels like wiping your ass with sandpaper.

That said, their continuous lies and selling out to Russia and other "eastern" powers makes me wish there was a better "daily driver" alternative. There's also the whole "still an android underneath" problem with binary blobs and the possibility of google still knowing it all even if you don't install their google services.

Comment

Who has old Galaxy S7, there's way to install Sailfish on it, bit older version tho but usable. XDA has relevant data in it's custom ROM forum section.

Names tho, why'd they keep using names only Finns themselves, Estonians or maybe Hungarians would find comfortable to spell/pronounce..?
                  Nuuksio..? What's next, Õueaiaäär? Jääkarukäpaküüs?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    unbiasedly, objectively terrible. It is absolutely awful.
                    This is what one would call wishful thinking. You can write objective(ly) or unbiasedly as many times as you want, underline it, highlight it in bold, write it in caps, it won't make it any actual objective. That's just your simple opinion, whatever magical power you're trying to give it.

I personally find it very clean and simple design-wise, which means elegant and sober. Especially since I guess that background can easily be changed for something that would meet your eyes.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 22 December 2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      This is what one would call wishful thinking. You can write objective(ly) or unbiasedly as many times as you want, underline it, highlight it in bold, write it in caps, it won't make it any actual objective. That's just your simple opinion, whatever magical power you're trying to give it.

I personally find it very clean and simple design-wise, which means elegant and sober. Especially since I guess that background can easily be changed for something that would meet your eyes.
                      If you would run it through the WAI then the test would fail. From an accessibility point of view, it is absolutely garbage.

Comment

Working...
                      X