Purism Announces Librem 5 "USA" Model For $1999 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    You can only mitigate this risk by specifying “domestic product and production”.
    neither germany nor india match this pattern

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
      If you don't have anything to add to the discussion but your ignorance and disbelief, please think twice before doing so.
      ^ People should follow this same advice after US Presidential elections!
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 December 2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Michael main page and article page show "add a comment" though there are many comments here.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          What's "lapsing into my valley-girl impression" - behaving silly? I know the words in isolation but not the meaning of the phrase. English is a foreign language for me.
          You speak, write, and express yourself better than most "English-speaking" people. Most non-native English speakers do.
          To answer your question, 'search' on the word "airhead", or "air-head", if you're not familiar with that piece of American slang.
          Then search on the phrase "valley girl talk". 'Valley-girl talk' (originating in "The (San Fernando) Valley" in California) is usually associated with 'air-heads' who are too lazy to use proper English, and has found its way into most all American slang because the allure of its lack of requirement of proper English usage and laziness is simply too great for most air-heads to ignore.

[Instead of simply saying, "...makes phone calls...", a 'valley-girl/boy would HAVE to say, "...makes, you know, like, you know, phone calls...". Sometimes even ending the expression with "...like, ya' know?" ]
          Last edited by danmcgrew; 06 December 2019, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Message to all broke cheapskates. You are not the customers. So no one cares about your opinion. The USA product is only for the niche market that need secure and private US peoduced infrastructure. Those customers have very few options and 2k is not expensive.
            How much do you get paid per post? I would also like to earn some quick cash.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

The phones shipping now are the first batch. They are 'prototypes'. The lack of the ability to make phone calls is more than likely busted software that will get fixed soon if it hasn't already. The later batches, shipping next year, will be more stable. You are just angry because Librem is beginning to hit it's stride. The U.S. prices are definitely absurd, but I expect it's a way of raising additional money so they can scale up manufacturing.
              Even in alpha quality, it should be able to make phone calls (with audio). It's the one feature you can't do without. It could be buggy, but it has to be there.
              The fact the phone is delivered (as a first batch or not) with such a basic functionality absent (corrected in the future or not) classifies Purism as not serious. Especially after such a long delay.

This news is even more stupid. I'm European, hence for me manufacturing in Asia or US is completely irrelevant.
              But I'm wondering... Why would such a small company make the process of manufacturing redundant? It's not as if they have the financial means to set up different production lines... I'm sure they outsourced it, but still I feel like it is completely redundant. I'm not even sure I would buy the original device (knowing the initial product is already overtly overpriced, the development is incredibly slow, and this company doesn't feel like serious), but for 3x the price ... Even if I were American, I would feel absolutely mocked.

Trump probably likes this. But he's the only one.

I just can't take that company seriously. They do everything as if they wanted to fail miserably.
              On the other hand, Pine seems more trustworthy as a company and at bringing devices to the market. I don't think I will consider Purism at any time in the future, they made a complete fool of themselves and they've eaten up their credibility.
              Last edited by Mez'; 06 December 2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Even iPhone X is only $500

Comment

Mez' You. Are. Not. The. Customer.

US gov, edu, mil and org are the intended customers. 2k per unit is a competitive price.
                  @ Mez', 54--

Can't. You. See. How. Stupid. You. Are?

"...
                  This news is even more stupid. I'm European, hence for me manufacturing in Asia or US is completely irrelevant..."
                  Yup; that proves it. Stupid European.

"
                  Even in alpha quality, it should be able to make phone calls (with audio). It's the one feature you can't do without. It could be buggy, but it has to be there.Even in alpha quality, it should be able to make phone calls (with audio). It's the one feature you can't do without. It could be buggy, but it has to be there..."

What's the matter with you Europeans; you just don't understand "THE AMERICAN WAY": believe all the lies of any sociopath who's a smooth talker, and delivers nothing.

"...I just can't take that company seriously. They do everything as if they wanted to fail miserably..."

Not the first time; won't be the last. Remember the Ubuntu Edge? "We'll give you the most powerful, fantastic phone you've ever seen--AND IT'S EVEN GOT A SCREEN MADE OUT OF SAPPHIRE!--if you'll crowd-fund us to the tune of 32 MILLION DOLLARS IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS!." Thirty-two million dollars in thirty days--one of the most egregious "set-up-for-failure" schemes ever foisted on anybody.

"...On the other hand, Pine seems more trustworthy as a company and at bringing devices to the market..."

You. Have. just. Proved. That. You. Are. A. Bourgeoisie. Philistine. Who. Has. No. Business. Here. Amongst. The. Cognicenti. Who. Have. Been. Ordained. By. The. Gods. To. Understand. --Only--. This. Highly. Complex. Situation.

Don't tell me there's no such thing as Artificial Intelligence--simply look at those defending this debacle.
                  Last edited by danmcgrew; 06 December 2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I want whatever it is that you're having.

Comment

Mez' You. Are. Not. The. Customer.

US gov, edu, mil and org are the intended customers. 2k per unit is a competitive price.
                      You are naive and delusional. Military and govt already have their own encrypted devices, they certainly won't be buying this crapware piece of shit for 2000 dollars made by some amateurs , it's not even secure.

Comment

Working...
                      X