No announcement yet.

Purism Announces Librem 5 "USA" Model For $1999 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There has always been something about Purism that didn't sit right with me. Their words vs. actions, and their prices and excuses for them, have simply never jibbed.

But this is just beyond silly. It simply cannot be justified no matter how you stretch or massage it. And it has nothing to do with whether someone can afford it or not, it's just a matter of principle.

And my goodness, a principled company simply would not act as Purism does.

Comment

As always, rather than people that are actually interested in the idea, the first ones to unleash their opinion on others here seem to be apathetic pessimists. If you're so indifferent to values such as freedom, why do you even hang out here and where do you find the energy to hate these projects so much? No, it's not a rhetoric question and yes, I'd be glad to receive some proper answers.

If the supply chain is really auditable as they claim it is, then this proposition makes even more sense for this product than it does at a lower price point while being produced elsewhere (not just China, but anywhere they can't examine), just for the added peace of mind. It certainly holds more value to those that understand the matter at hand.

As a non-backer and potential customer, I'm happy to see this exists.

Any effort that has tried to uphold some ethical values has demonstrated that they come at a premium, given low volumes and high R&D costs. Look at the Fairphone; its second incarnation had a terrible value proposition for the average technology enthusiast, but it dared to ask: do you still hold your enthusiasm after knowing that your potent smartphone manages to be cheap thanks to slavery, war, terrible working conditions, rights deprivation and, generally speaking, a higher human cost?
      Or look at the Talos workstation from Raptor Engineering as an example of seemingly excellent custom solutions geared towards clients that value libre hardware and software, and also predictably demands a premium when compared to an x86 workstation of comparable performance.

If you don't have anything to add to the discussion but your ignorance and disbelief, please think twice before doing so.

Comment

FFS...

From the product page:
        The Librem 5 USA is designed for individuals or organizations who:

Have a hard requirement for where components are manufactured and sourced from
        Are concerned about hardware backdoors
        Need a secure supply chain
        Want to trial a USA made smartphone for larger organization adoption
        This is primarily for enterprises/government offices with strict security regulations in place...not the average consumer.

People buying in the US are not restricted from getting the normal (and for all intensive purposes, same), substantially cheaper version

Manufacturing in the US is expensive. There's a reason so many companies go through the hassle of producing products overseas and having them imported instead of just making it locally; local companies have to abide by higher labor/health/safety/etc standards than places like China or wherever. There's also higher taxes and employee wages that need to be paid. In addition to that, there's probably also overhead from certifiably tracking the individual pieces for the customers that require that level of scrutiny.

There is nothing wrong with providing an option to customers willing to pay more for a more strictly regulated build process.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Someone has FINALLY got Todd Weaver figured out.

Congratulations to you!

Now let's hear (more) from the dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks fanboys.
          Here's a good starting point, all you questionable carbon-based-lifeforms: where is the actual telephone, which, at least, as most people understand the situation, makes, you know, like, phone calls (sorry for lapsing into my 'valley-girl' impression; I realized, too late, that it is WAY too intellectual to apply to the Purism Librem dunderheads. Have someone look THAT word up for you, dunderheads.)
          What's "lapsing into my valley-girl impression" - behaving silly? I know the words in isolation but not the meaning of the phrase. English is a foreign language for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Message to all broke cheapskates. You are not the customers. So no one cares about your opinion. The USA product is only for the niche market that need secure and private US peoduced infrastructure. Those customers have very few options and 2k is not expensive.
            Cue the fanboys...

@ #3--
            "Never let it be said that Phoronix doesn't have a sense of humour...
            ...surpassed only by Purism, and (I simply can NOT wait) by all the Librem fanboys with their absolutely indisputable and fact-filled rationalisations.
            Thanks for the laugh, Michael. We all needed this. A sense of humour in the trade press is such a rare commodity these days."

@ #11--
            ""Update 12:37AM EST: The Purism Shop now is showing a $1999 USD price tag, not $1199... Ouch."--Michael Larabel.
            I was going to update my earlier comment (#3).
            Now, I think it will be a lot funnier if I simply let others express their sentiments."

@ #33--
            "Message to all broke cheapskates. You are not the customers. So no one [ME; I; the most important and knowledgeable person HERE] cares about your opinion. The USA product is only for the niche market that need secure and private US peoduced infrastructure. Those customers have very few options and 2k is not expensive."

Yes, indeed; this is only for that niche market that need [sic] secure and private US peoduced [sic] infrastructure...and is willing to pay almost anything in order to not be able to get it.

@ #37--
            "The phones shipping now are the first batch. They are 'prototypes'. The lack of the ability to make phone calls is more than likely busted software that will get fixed soon if it hasn't already. The later batches, shipping next year, will be more stable. You are just angry because Librem is beginning to hit it's [sic] stride. The U.S. prices are definitely absurd, but I expect it's a way of raising additional money so they can scale up manufacturing."

This is what is called "twisted logic"--see if you can follow along: The only ones here whom you and your fellow deniers characterise as "angry" are yourselves--angry at the immutable logic involved in "...I calls 'em as I sees 'em...", and angry at yourselves because of your total ineptitude at your having the remotest desire to "...sees 'em..."

Cue the fanboys...

Comment

This product is not about patriotism. It’s about meeting privacy and security requirements.
              i don't see connection between us soldering and privacy or security. and btw i bought several devices manufactured in us and every one is many times cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
                Is it possible their intention is to appeal to defense contractors with this move? I know that some companies performing security-critical work for the US government are required to source their components from the US.
                but "the model chip comes from Germany and the WiFi card from India"

Comment

The USA product is only for the niche market that need secure and private US peoduced infrastructure.
                  the model chip comes from Germany and the WiFi card from India. btw how us produced cars can have competitive price, but us produced phones can't? are they produced by ceo jumping on one foot with hands bound behind his back?
                  Last edited by pal666; 05 December 2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

actually now i get it. they've just mislabeled it. call it "hand-made luxury" instead of "us-made secure"

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      actually now i get it. they've just mislabeled it. call it "hand-made luxury" instead of "us-made secure"
                      If by luxury you mean a quad core A72 and a Mali 400 with a screen resolution that disappeared five years ago.

Look at the Librem site. Also, in their "known issues", it says "after powering off the device it can be difficult to power back on".

I don't know about you, but thats what I really look for in a phone. Non-reliability.

Comment

Working...
                      X