Purism Announces Librem 5 "USA" Model For $1999 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Baguy In your opinion. California state sees things differently. And so do bond investors.
    Well, even so. If you disregard anything with these backers being investors, then you have to agree they still aren't following the SPC laws because the reports need to be publicly accessible online, and free. Not just for investors.

Comment

But do I get free screensavers and ring tones? And a Hello Panda phone case? Cause then $1,999 would be totally worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Danniello Sourcing, production and testing is expensive in the US. If you want privacy at component level then you have to pay up..
        Agree. But they should start selling "Phone Of The Year, Patriot Edition" when hardware and software have at least all basic functionality.

They started selling USA edition even that normal edition is not finished! Also at this moment not all basic functionality are working (for example audio is not working when calling).

Comment

Oh yes thank god they're finally making a phone entirely in the US. Certainly no security concerns when the US government are involved

Comment

This company will not exist in Q3 2020.

Comment

Is it possible their intention is to appeal to defense contractors with this move? I know that some companies performing security-critical work for the US government are required to source their components from the US.

Comment

To quote a "known issue" from Purism's site itself:

The battery installed in the phone is labelled with a capacity of 2000 mAh.

This is a conservative estimate of the capacity. Later iterations of the phone should have higher capacity batteries.

4D chess right there. If you say you have a 3,500mAh battery but only put in a 2,000mAh battery, just SAY that its a misprint. On every phone. That you didn't catch before. Or that you couldn't be bothered to fix. Or even change your marketing.

Comment

Hmmmm.... After a long and careful consideration, I think I have decided to pass.

It's a shame though. With the direction that Android and Google are heading, it would be great if there was a real option for power users that like to have control of their device and data. But even if this phone was released with competent hardware, the lack of support for popular apps would be a real problem.

Comment

this product is all about money and the fools willing to pay for it

Comment

I'm gonna be honest here, I don't care if it is made in USA or China, most important thing for me is the phone has to be 100% open source and let everyone audit it, I won't say "free" because that can mean a lot of things, but it should leave no room at all for any sort of black box. And to be very honest, I think is more likely that US gov put something in than the Chinese as not as many people are watching what NSA/CIA are doing while they are much more capable.

Comment

Working...
                      X