Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    6. Pinephone the big alternative:
    I see on the website only a photoshop photo no one running any software. I am sure they will be especially for the low price deliver a good hardware hew secure (privat) is another question but we will see. But the software part? They expect others to write those... well I bought a similar device not a phone but a arm soc, and I know that it can take years or happen never that they support the important stuff like video hardware acceleration. So software is the big question.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V711Iordo4 nearly 3 Month old overview of Plasma on Pinephone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NIWh2cX3nQ The whole channel is worth following for that. It is showing Pinephone Braveheart. Looks like it runs PostmarketOS with Plasma Mobile

And this Post gives a good overview of the Librem5 Development(Hardware design and Software) https://puri.sm/posts/breaking-ground/

I really hope that Pinephone and Librem5(no idea how the Development of Necunos is) will succeed, so that the Linux Mobile ecosystem can grow. More People using it = more People can work on getting Desktop applications to the Phone Form factor
    Last edited by Toggleton; 28 November 2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NIWh2cX3nQ The whole channel is worth following for that. It is showing Pinephone Braveheart. Looks like it runs PostmarketOS with Plasma Mobile
      So in other words they run desktop applications on a desktop os. They have no phone optimized software yet. Nice, so softwarewise they are at least 1 year behind librem, that got even upstream stuff integrated.

There are over 100 booting devices of Postmarket-os sure 90% of them are in bad status but why would I not just buy one of the other 10% devices that are supported decently? That's just a normal phone that happen to be supported by postmarketos.that I can buy today? Like a nexus 5 which you can get for 50-70 dollars used and 120 dollar (or at least euro) new.

Ahh sorry have to correct me the 5x costs 50-70 dollar the normal 5 you can get for 25 euro on ebay used.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        So in other words they run desktop applications on a desktop os. They have no phone optimized software yet. Nice, so softwarewise they are at least 1 year behind librem, that got even upstream stuff integrated.

There are over 100 booting devices of Postmarket-os sure 90% of them are in bad status but why would I not just buy one of the other 10% devices that are supported decently? That's just a normal phone that happen to be supported by PostmarketOS.that I can buy today? Like a nexus 5 which you can get for 50-70 dollars used and 120 dollar (or at least euro) new.
        I don't understand what your point is? PinePhone makes the Hardware and the Community(i guess with the help of pine) does Port the available OS https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhoneOS to the PinePhone like UBPorts/Ubuntu Touch . The difference of the Librem 5 is that they develop a GNOME Style OS by them self.
        And a big selling Point for Linux Phone devices is that you can use the same Application on the Phone and the Desktop with https://techbase.kde.org/Kirigami for QT/KDE
        https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/libhandy for GTK/Gnome

UBPorts has AFAIK its own ecosystem https://medium.com/@probonopd/ubuntu...d-8517f8984b77 not sure how good the Applications can be portod to be used on Pinephone and librem

That's the Point of PostmarketOS that you can use old Android Phones but PinePhone and Librem5 are Build with Linux in mind. So it should be easier to get all the Functions to work than if you Port it to a Android device.

If you get a Android device that is well supported by PostmarketOS for a small price, use it.

Comment

@ blackiwid; #11--

"So despite all the haters here including Michael that basically claimed they missed their shipping window they exactly reached it, be it on the last day. Very nice. I am very excited..." [and a WHOLE LOT more excited, or, errr, excitable verbiage...]

We're all just as happy as we can be that you are so very excited. For your benefit, to get you even more excited, read the following. I'm certain your excitement will know absolutely no bounds after reading this...

Techrights, 10.31.19
          Purism’s Problems Purely Boil Down to Trust and False Promises
          Posted in FSF, GNOME, GNU,, /Linux, Hardware, KDE, Rumour at 1:17 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

The Sad Saga of Purism and the Librem 5 : Part 3
          2019/10/25 5:20 PM
          This post marks the third in my series about the sad saga of Purism and the Librem 5. If you haven't read the first or second posts yet, I highly recommend that you click here and then click here. Give them both at least a quick skim before reading this one as they contain important background information that is required to appreciate this one.

The Sad Saga of Purism and the Librem 5 : Part 2
          2019/10/25 5:54 AM
          This post marks the second in my series about the sad saga of Purism and the Librem 5. If you haven't read the first post yet, I highly recommend that you click here. Give it at least a good skim before reading this one as it contains important background information that is required to appreciate this one.

The Sad Saga of Purism and the Librem 5 : Part 1
          2019/10/23 2:25 PM
          Today I'm going to tell you a sad tale of a device called the Librem 5 and the company behind it, Purism. As of right now, this story does not have a happy ending. I am writing this series of articles as a protest against the behavior of Purism, a company which claims that transparency and openness are their core values. If they won't tell the world the truth about the Librem 5, then I'm willing to at least give it a go.

Techrights, 11.25.19
          Purism Librem 5 Orders Take Too Long (No Delivery) as Biggest Fans Grow Impatient
          A freedom-respecting failure is still a failure
          Posted in GNU/Linux, Hardware at 11:32 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
            We're all just as happy as we can be that you are so very excited. For your benefit, to get you even more excited, read the following. I'm certain your excitement will know absolutely no bounds after reading this...
            Yes lot's of people hate them as unrational as the hate towards Systemd and partially also against btrfs. Just because lot's of people say negative things doesn't make it real. It surely did not all workout perfect but who would have expected that lives in a fantasy world.

Such Crowdfunding compaigns are hard to do and ARM is a horrible platform, the hardware developers with arm try as hard as possible to make everything as closed as possible. Again we seen the history with all the other arm vendors that all went horrible. Take next thing or what was the company behind that pda like thing? They just stopped delivering their shit, look Jolla the same.

They are pioneers, for me that's enough to give em some slack where was the massive hate towards the scam with fairphone, they were so incompetent and bad that they were not even able to make it upgradable to Android 5.0? They marketed their shit with long life platform hard-toggled to a very old software that made that hardware less longlifing than avery 50 dollar china phone and therefor probably even more environmentally unfriendly than any other phone.

This is a sea of shit, and Jolla also did not deliver phone and I would bet 500 dollars that librem get the phoning system fixed soon before Pinephone get's it done maybe in 3-6 months.

It's really really hard to do what they are trying and they are most successful of all companies in history the last 10 years not one company on the planet came even close to what they are doing, and you complain because the ride is a bit bumpy. I have better a bumpy ride of the real thing, than a "smooth" spying fake product like Jolla.

I get when people get angry at EOMA68 things they never really delivered anything, they had maybe good ideas but they get nothing done, Librem get's things done I thought would be nearly impossible if your name is not Samsung or Apple or something like that. Yes it's not that easy to produce miracles but with some bumps along the road they get it slowly but surely done.

Comment

Techrights, 10.31.19
              Purism’s Problems Purely Boil Down to Trust and False Promises
              Posted in FSF, GNOME, GNU,, /Linux, Hardware, KDE, Rumour at 1:17 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

The Sad Saga of Purism and the Librem 5 : Part 3
              2019/10/25 5:20 PM
              https://jaylittle.com/post/view/2019...ibrem-5-part-3
              The Sad Saga of Purism and the Librem 5 : Part 2
              2019/10/25 5:54 AM
              https://jaylittle.com/post/view/2019...ibrem-5-part-2
              The Sad Saga of Purism and the Librem 5 : Part 1
              2019/10/23 2:25 PM
              https://jaylittle.com/post/view/2019...ibrem-5-part-1
              Techrights, 11.25.19
              Purism Librem 5 Orders Take Too Long (No Delivery) as Biggest Fans Grow Impatient
              A freedom-respecting failure is still a failure
              Posted in GNU/Linux, Hardware at 11:32 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz
              http://techrights.org/2019/11/25/pur...brem-5-orders/
              The first Link does only point to Jaylittle(the 3 parts) and Communications Problems some time ago.

The Jaylittle Links are a lot of Speculations and that Guy is gone on a Rampage against Purism and Librem5 on Reddit. That makes it hard to trust his words and that his "Source" is real..

The Last Link is Obsolete, cause the First Batch(Aspen) was not in a good enough Quality to send it to Backers so it was send to the Purism team. Batch Birch is now in a good enough quality to send it to Backers(with a small delay)

The Librem5 Campaign was not Perfect. Sure there are Communications Problems and the delay(some Delay is expected for Projects like that) But such Campaigns are not easy...

Comment

If a iPhone is 1300€+, and this and the Dragonbox Pyra doesn't cost a couple of thousands, it is because a lot of people forked over their money so everyone else could get a device shipped and ready. That is no small feat, and I am happy we live in this particular timeline. Buy the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

The first Link does only point to Jaylittle(the 3 parts) and Communications Problems some time ago.

The Jaylittle Links are a lot of Speculations and that Guy is gone on a Rampage against Purism and Librem5 on Reddit. That makes it hard to trust his words and that his "Source" is real..

The Last Link is Obsolete, cause the First Batch(Aspen) was not in a good enough Quality to send it to Backers so it was send to the Purism team. Batch Birch is now in a good enough quality to send it to Backers(with a small delay)

The Librem5 Campaign was not Perfect. Sure there are Communications Problems and the delay(some Delay is expected for Projects like that) But such Campaigns are not easy...
                  WOW! So many articles! So MANY thoroughly un-informed, ill-informed, and MIS-INFORMED cretin philistine authors!! Thank you for setting everything right!

You and blackiwid have the same problem, to wit: it has to be exceptionally hard being a card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool Purism Librem fanboy when there are so many haters around.
                  JUST for your benefit, so you can regale us all with what's wrong with THIS ARTICLE ALSO, I have included the one I posted in comment #7. How in the world did you possibly miss yet one more opportunity to discredit a hack organization, a bush-league magazine if there ever was one, such as Ars Technica? "Haters" getting to you? A strong dose of reality and objectivity will fix you and your bosom-buddy right up...if you can possibly stand it, which is almost demonstrably impossible.

Ars Technica
                  "I want to believe —
                  "The Librem 5 has been “shipping” for a month—but not to backers"
                  "Backers were largely patient with earlier project delays—but concern is rising."
                  Jim Salter - 11/22/2019, 1:31 PM
                  https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...ot-to-backers/

Comment

Yes taking that very personal and insulting people that are also parallels to the systemd discussions. If you don't like it just don't buy it or ask your money back? So you are mad at a company because they offer a product you don't want? If that is your standard you have to rage against thousand other companies, too.

Comment

Ars Technica
                      "I want to believe —
                      "The Librem 5 has been “shipping” for a month—but not to backers"
                      "Backers were largely patient with earlier project delays—but concern is rising."
                      Jim Salter - 11/22/2019, 1:31 PM
                      https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...ot-to-backers/
                      And what does that Ars Technica Article prove? It is just a collection of the Problems of the Campaign so far. I have nothing against the article it is well written.

If there is for you only Black and White, sure then i am a Fanboy and you are a Hater But that is bullshit
                      You did share that Links(so i did expect that is your opinion), so i did comment what my opinion are to them.
                      To the Jaylitte parts a lot of that stuff is hard to prove or can only proved by Purism them self. And now with the first Phones in Backer Hands, we can now look at the Quality and Problems of the Hardware and Software so far.

If you are no Backer you can grab some Popcorn and can watch the Campaign explode, if you and jaylittle are right of course. Or if you are a Backer and are 100% sure that you don't trust Purism anymore you can request a Refund. Its not that hard

Comment

Working...
                      X