Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librem 5 "Birch" Linux Smartphones Begin Shipping To Consumers

Phoronix: Librem 5 "Birch" Linux Smartphones Begin Shipping To Consumers

While coming a few weeks later and two months after the original "shipping" of Librem 5 smartphones, the Librem 5 Birch batch has begun shipping to actual consumers who pre-ordered the privacy-minded Linux smartphone...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Birch-Shipping

Freedom and Privacy shipping now.

Comment

The Librem 5 will be the first ever Matrix-powered smartphone, natively using end-to-end encrypted decentralised communication in its dialer and messaging app.
      Interesting. How exactly is Matrix used for that?

Comment

After reading about the internal happenings with purism + their constant delays I decided to ask for a refund and not wait for mine. I wanted to support them but some of the stuff makes me be very worried that this will turn to vaporware on the first sign of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Interesting. How exactly is Matrix used for that?
          The answer depends if you chose the blue or the red pill?

https://matrix.org/

Comment

Nevermind everything else and all the circus around the Librem5, if I understood this correctly:

Currently calling is established (e.g. both sides connect fine) but audio is not routed (no voice heard or sent)...

this 700 usd brick cannot even be used to make a phone call...

- And Bob, now the question for 500 bucks:, what does work?
            - I don't know, but:

Besides the power-up handling and call audio routing not working at the moment, there still are thermal and battery life issues they hope to have resolved via software updates. They also seem to confirm the camera for photos/video is not yet functionality.
            That's it, I'm done making fun of this 'phone' because it is not even funny anymore. Unfortunately it's just sad.

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post
              Nevermind everything else and all the circus around the Librem5, if I understood this correctly:

- And Bob, now the question for 500 bucks:, what does work?
              - I don't know, but:

That's it, I'm done making fun of this 'phone' because it is not even funny anymore. Unfortunately it's just sad.
              This post has been up for over six hours. Do you notice the absolute flood of comments (there were a grand total of 3 up until two hours ago)?
              People are really, really tired of this Librem crap...everywhere else, too.
              Ars Technica

"I want to believe —
              "The Librem 5 has been “shipping” for a month—but not to backers"
              "Backers were largely patient with earlier project delays—but concern is rising."

Jim Salter - 11/22/2019, 1:31 PM

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...ot-to-backers/

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/Purism/comm..._librem_5_ama/

Congratulations to purism team .. it's better step towards privacy

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post

It's the ultimate privacy

Comment

This is amazing! The privacy this device will offer is unparalleled! No calls? No bluetooth? No cameras? Battery life lasting for a very short time? Amazing! This is well worth $700 dollars and multiple lies! Oh, and that transparency report they are legally supposed to release every year (Since 2017), since they are a SPC, where is that? In a software update perhaps?

This is just a sad mess. Not something to celebrate. It's going to take serious work on their part before this is something to be celebrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X