Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Outlines Librem 5 Software Work During October - Including Battery / Thermal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Outlines Librem 5 Software Work During October - Including Battery / Thermal

Phoronix: Purism Outlines Librem 5 Software Work During October - Including Battery / Thermal

Purism has finally published their blog post outlining the software work they accomplished during October on bringing up the Librem 5 smartphone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Their software side of things looks great... But the hardware isn't looking as hot.

Comment

Have they shipped any phones yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Right...let's get to the heart of the matter, and cut out out all the enabling horse-shit.

"...I’m happy to announce that the Brave Heart production run of PinePhones will be available for pre-order in 10 days time from the day of publishing this blog entry, on November 15, 2019 at 8:00AM (GMT+0)..."

"...the Brave Heart PinePhones will, by and large, be identical to PinePhones produced in 2020 and onwards. This applies to the case molding, PCB, LCD assembly, cooling, as well as various other components making up the phones, including aesthetic ones. These are effectively considered ‘final'...

"...As for the software, I have nothing but good news to relay. It is my understanding that, with the exception of the front-facing ‘selfie’ camera, all core features of the phone are now functional..."

Our core focus for the past month was on getting the manufacturing process and shipping of the Pinebook Pro, PinePhone and PineTime development kits back on track. I will not reiterate the events that led to the delays of those devices in this post, but if you’re interested then read the detailed account of what happened in last month’s community update.

Comment

Yeah pinephone does look like a MUCH better option at only $150usd apparently.
          However be aware it comes blank and needs the OS loaded onto it via the users, but I don't think that's a big issue for anyone buying such a device given target audience.

I think KDE have a mobile phone OS or something, not sure if that is a option for pinephone or not.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Librem5 is a proper product.
            IC, lots of Librem5 shills around these days. Ripoff proper product for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Right...let's get to the heart of the matter, and cut out out all the enabling horse-shit.

"...I’m happy to announce that the Brave Heart production run of PinePhones will be available for pre-order in 10 days time from the day of publishing this blog entry, on November 15, 2019 at 8:00AM (GMT+0)..."

"...the Brave Heart PinePhones will, by and large, be identical to PinePhones produced in 2020 and onwards. This applies to the case molding, PCB, LCD assembly, cooling, as well as various other components making up the phones, including aesthetic ones. These are effectively considered ‘final'...

"...As for the software, I have nothing but good news to relay. It is my understanding that, with the exception of the front-facing ‘selfie’ camera, all core features of the phone are now functional..."

Our core focus for the past month was on getting the manufacturing process and shipping of the Pinebook Pro, PinePhone and PineTime development kits back on track. I will not reiterate the events that led to the delays of those devices in this post, but if you’re interested then read the detailed account of what happened in last month’s community update.
              The amazing power of using chinese child labor and legions of underpaid communist workers. No western company can pull this off.

Comment

So whenever ANYTHING is made in China (most our stuff is btw) its automatically child and forced labour? Don't be so naive!
                I bet you my bottom dollar the parts in the Librem5 are from those same asian markets!

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

The amazing power of using chinese child labor and legions of underpaid communist workers. No western company can pull this off.
                  Western companies usually produce in Asia exploiting children.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    theriddick Target audience is privacy minded people. Pine is just hardware plus optional software. Librem5 is a proper product.

Give us YOUR definition of a "...proper product...", please.

Oh, and lest I forget...

So, I suppose that the computer you use (if you indeed even use one) is something much, much more than a pedestrian combination of "...just hardware plus optional software..."?

Cue the Purism Librem brain-dead fanboys...

Comment

Working...
                    X