Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Android-x86 9.0 Nearing Release - RC1 Brings Experimental Vulkan, Text-Based Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android-x86 9.0 Nearing Release - RC1 Brings Experimental Vulkan, Text-Based Installer

Phoronix: Android-x86 9.0 Nearing Release - RC1 Brings Experimental Vulkan, Text-Based Installer

While Android 10 is the latest release of Google's mobile operating system, the downstream Android-x86 has been on the Android 8 "Oreo" series for stable while now the first release candidate of Android-x86 9.0 is available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Someone got this stable running? I have tryed it on some Devices and Never did it work well. I had more success with Anbox but even this is far from stable.

Comment

I have absolutely no issue with adverts on websites, especially news sites. I even disable ublock for Phoronix to try to give something back.

However when an open-source operating system like android-x86 has adverts it seems kind of sleazy. I don't know of any FOSS operating system project that has adverts. Typical Android culture really. Monetize before you can run.

Is it just me? Imagine if Debian or Arch started littering adverts everywhere, it would kind of discredit them and make them look like they don't care about correctness. For example Canonical tried (in a very subtle way) and they got quite a backlash.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        However when an open-source operating system like android-x86 has adverts it seems kind of sleazy.
        I've never seen any ads on android-x86 that weren't put there by apps off Google Play.

Comment

A year late and s dollar short

Comment

I misread this as Android 9.0 was nearing release. I've been running Android 9.0 on my Nexus 7 (via Lineage OS) forever, so I had a real WTF moment. This will come in handy for certain scenarios. However I've always found hardware support to be fickle on Android x86.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              However when an open-source operating system like android-x86 has adverts it seems kind of sleazy.
              It's not that Android itself has adverts, but how it really fosters the shareware ecosystem to the point to where adverts can become part of the OS that's the problem.

Since I buy all my programs, get free w/o ads and sleazy crap versions (F-Droid, etc), or go just without (it's a damn phone ), I really wish there was a fork of Android that didn't contain near as much tracking and ad APIs with a version of the Play store that only had true freeware and premium programs...none of those in-between, phones home and sends me ads for crap BS programs because the OS itself doesn't allow it.

Comment

Working...
              X