Sailfish OS 3.2 Released With Better Hardware Adaptation Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guiluge View Post

So what are your thoughts about it, especially coming from Android ? Is it worth the try ?

i love it.
    i love it on the 6gb/64gb xa2 plus which i bought for £240. Great screen ( i love 21:9), and good solid feel.
    i was an n900/n9 user, and i love the swipe/pulley based UI.
    if your stuck with a corner case andoid app that doesn't work then you have my commiserations, but davlik works very well.
    camera is average, battery life us two days at a stretch.

really wouldn't want to go back to android even though android is indisputably 'better' by most objective criteria.

try it, you might love it like me...

Comment

I heard this OS has something to do with Russia, is it still true?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Sailfish OS is a product of the Finnish company Jolla and based on the Mer project.
        There is Avrora OS that is a licensed version of Sailfish OS for the Russian market.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          There is Avrora OS that is a licensed version of Sailfish OS for the Russian market.
          The Russian version is better than the Sailfish OS usual version, at least it supports the hardware were he comes..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

The Russian version is better than the Sailfish OS usual version, at least it supports the hardware were he comes..
            This release has some features form Avrora OS back ported to Sailfish OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

So what are your thoughts about it, especially coming from Android ? Is it worth the try ?

i love it.
              i love it on the 6gb/64gb xa2 plus which i bought for £240. Great screen ( i love 21:9), and good solid feel.
              i was an n900/n9 user, and i love the swipe/pulley based UI.
              if your stuck with a corner case andoid app that doesn't work then you have my commiserations, but davlik works very well.
              camera is average, battery life us two days at a stretch.

really wouldn't want to go back to android even though android is indisputably 'better' by most objective criteria.

try it, you might love it like me...
              Thanks for your feedback, I might buy a Jolla phone to get native experience with SailFish.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                really wouldn't want to go back to androud even though android is indisputably 'better' by most objective criteria.
                In my case, I've never even started using Android, to begin with.
                (My previous smartphones were running Palm/HP's webOS, i.e. another full blown GNU/Linux. At that point I'm spoiled, I can't start using a plain simple embed OS :-P )

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Sailfish OS is a product of the Finnish company Jolla and based on the Mer project.

You can add China to the list: Huawei are testing Avrora on some smartphone (to be provided to Russia officials for the population census) and if rumors are true, might be considering it in the future as another OS alternative after the Android ban by the US. (source)

Thanks for your feedback, I might buy a Jolla phone to get native experience with SailFish.
                - By now the first official Jolla 1 is a bit old and under powered (it's a nearly 6-year old device :-P ), mostly the same with the successor Jolla C (done in partnership with Intex and their Aquafish).
                - The Xperia line of smartphone is a bit more recent, but as tuxd3v alluded to, the support isn't perfect (X is stuck on an extremely old 3.x kernel that was used by its ancient Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow back then, even if Sony has since released 4.4/4.9/4.19 kernels for 8.0 Oreo/9 Pie/10 Q) and features are missing or badly working.

(On the plus side: microG is a first-class citizen - the Jolla devs put effort inside to make that privacy-aware open-source alternative to the Google Play Service blob work on Sailfish's "Aliendalvik" Android Application compatibility layer)

I would say, if you want to play with Sailfish, you'd better:
                - Either wait for the upcoming Xperia 10 port of Sailfish X (as a more recent phone it will probably be a bit better supported)
                - Or wait for the upcoming PinePhone - SailfishOS is one of the OS which got demoed on it. It's interesting because it's possible to run a mainline kernel on the phone not relying on the chipset manufacturer to provide the blobs (Sailfish was demoed with such kernel), and also because there are multiple opensource OS maker who are working on making releases for it (I will be easy for you to experiment a lot more stuff than just Sailfish)
                - Or go for at least the most recent Xperia XA2.
                - And only as a last resort go for the older Jolla 1, Jolla C or Xperia X.

Comment

DrYak
                  Wow, thanks for this large answer, really insightful. I'll keep an eye on Xperia releases then !

Comment

You shouldn't buy a Jolla phone but rather a phone that is supported by sailfish OS.
                    Right now that means Xperia XA2, XA2 plus, XA2 ultra and very soon Xperia 10 (Xperia 10 plus will likely not be supported).
                    I would recommend Xperia 10 if you want to jump on the sailfish OS train.
                    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 13 November 2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Nille_kungen
                      Thanks, Xperia 10 is interesting, I'll see if I can get one with a fair price.

Comment

Working...
                      X